Two Drug Slayings in Mexico Rock U.S. Consulate

Crimes, criminals and the justice system
Brooke

Re: Two Drug Slayings in Mexico Rock U.S. Consulate

Postby Brooke » Tue May 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Brooke wrote: You are an odd person. I imagine what happened was that people in the medical profession saw a lot of horrific injuries and deaths that could have been prevented by simply wearing seat belts and helmets. Being responsible people they decided to publicize it and then someone got the bright idea of making laws to try and influence people to comply for their own good and that of their children. Adults do not have to comply with these laws if they do not want to. They are free to pay the fines if caught. What is the big freaking deal? No one is forcing anyone to do anything. There are plenty of dumb folks around and if they need laws to tell them to protect their children then so be it. They are free to do what they want.

not4u13 wrote:Why would you start out a response with the statement "you are an odd person"? What purpose does that serve when trying to have a discussion? Why do you insist on making this personal instead of just sticking to the posts?
Because you have strange ideas, what do you think? It is personal, you are offering YOUR OPINIONS.

not4u wrote:Your assertion that people can go around this country intentionally disobeying laws as an example of them exercising their freedoms is a bit awkward don't you think? How is it freedom when you are forced to pay a fine or be subject to jail time?
They have a choice. Either comply or disobey and take a chance on getting caught.

not4u wrote:Of course there are people who demonstrate a lack of common sense and intelligence on any given day in this country. Do you really think it is the business of government to protect those people from themselves?
Unfortunately, we live in a country with millions of people. When the irresponsible do not make wise decisions regarding their own safety and those of their children they put other peoples' lives in danger. So, the laws are really trying to protect innocent lives from the irresponsible.

not4u wrote:The big freaking deal is that the people of this country should be free to choose how they want to live their lives, as long as they are not infringing upon others in the process of doing so. Smoking ordinances are in place because a smoker cannot control where the smoke from their cigarette goes. So, when they smoke, they are infringing on others around them who wish to breathe air absent the cigarette smoke.
People who do not use seat belts and helmets are putting other peoples' lives in danger. Their acts can affect the lives of other people not4u, you know that. If you want to live in a country where everyone is free to act as irresponsibly as they want to then you will likely have to buy yourself a deserted island somewhere. There are just too many people who can be hurt in the USA by those who have that kind of attitude.

not4u wrote:A seatbelt law and a helmet law that specifically targets adults operating vehicles on public highways is telling people that they must comply with that law or risk fines and even imprisonment does not qualify as restricting the rights of one in order that they may not infringe on another.

How many people who have been in traffic accidents have killed and injured other people? I would say that is the ultimate infringement on another person's life.

Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Tue May 11, 2010 6:35 pm

Brooke wrote: Because you have strange ideas, what do you think? It is personal, you are offering YOUR OPINIONS.

I don't think that having a high regard for personal freedom is that strange at all.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Brooke

Postby Brooke » Tue May 11, 2010 9:39 pm

Brooke wrote: Because you have strange ideas, what do you think? It is personal, you are offering YOUR OPINIONS.

Fordama wrote:I don't think that having a high regard for personal freedom is that strange at all.

Fordama

Neither do I, but not4u lives in la la land. For one thing, he seems to think that what he writes here isn't personal. Could it be any more personal I ask you?

Also, I disagree with his ideas about helmet and seat belt laws. And, animal protection laws that don't protect animals. He is an advocate for irresponsibility and mayhem.
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

tLIB

Postby tLIB » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:04 pm

Brooke wrote:If alcohol were outlawed it would shut down a lot of industries like the wine industry, liqueurs, fine cooking, etc. The same cannot be said for marijuana. So don't even go there.

Ending prohibition would but the gangsters that make money because of prohibition out of business.

AsIfYouKnew

Postby AsIfYouKnew » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:37 am

tLIB wrote:
Ending prohibition would but the gangsters that make money because of prohibition out of business.

Everyone says that, but I don't think you can compare marijuana and alcohol. Alcohol use is a lot more prevalent than Marijuana ever has been. Also, alcohol is much more aligned with our cultural norms than marijuana.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:44 am

AsIfYouKnew wrote: Also, alcohol is much more aligned with our cultural norms than marijuana.
And that's one of your major arguments against the legalization of marijuana?

Many cultural norms involving use of substances have changed over our history...why would this be any different. You are aware, of course, that the pot farmers in northern Cal are strongly against legalization. There goes the business should the proposition become law.

Are you OK with the medical marijuana laws in California?
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Brooke

Postby Brooke » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:31 am

Brooke wrote:If alcohol were outlawed it would shut down a lot of industries like the wine industry, liqueurs, fine cooking, etc. The same cannot be said for marijuana. So don't even go there.

tLIB wrote:Ending prohibition would but the gangsters that make money because of prohibition out of business.
I can't make heads or tails out of this tLIB, care to try again?
Last edited by Brooke on Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brooke

Postby Brooke » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:35 am

AsIfYouKnew wrote: Also, alcohol is much more aligned with our cultural norms than marijuana.
Parrotpaul wrote:And that's one of your major arguments against the legalization of marijuana?

Many cultural norms involving use of substances have changed over our history...why would this be any different. You are aware, of course, that the pot farmers in northern Cal are strongly against legalization. There goes the business should the proposition become law.

I honestly think that it is disgraceful that you represent today's educators. Whatever happened to patriotism, responsibility and character building? I do recognize that you have some good qualities too, but overall you just aren't good for the USA and its children. Neither is Ford, by the way.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:24 am

Brooke wrote: I honestly think that it is disgraceful that you represent today's educators. Whatever happened to patriotism, responsibility and character building? I do recognize that you have some good qualities too, but overall you just aren't good for the USA and its children. Neither is Ford, by the way.
I served honorably for four years...I don't represent today's teachers...I am a substitute teacher.

Did you serve your country at any time in your life?

But you AVOIDED my question...are you OK with the medical marijuana laws in the State of California?
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:38 am

Brooke wrote: I honestly think that it is disgraceful that you represent today's educators. Whatever happened to patriotism, responsibility and character building? I do recognize that you have some good qualities too, but overall you just aren't good for the USA and its children. Neither is Ford, by the way.
It's so much fun when you act like a sack of s--t!

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:15 am

Fordama wrote:It's so much fun when you act like a sack of s--t!

Fordama
She isn't acting.

AsIfYouKnew

Postby AsIfYouKnew » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:48 am

Parrotpaul wrote:And that's one of your major arguments against the legalization of marijuana?

It would seem to me that the honus be placed upon those that wish to overturn the law to substantiate their reasoning, not those that are happy with the status quo. And if the use of marijuana becomes much more prevalant, perhaps we should look at it again. However, in the here and now, it is not that prevalant, and I see no need for overturning the law.

Medical marijuana is a very sticky wicket. When my mother was dying of cancer, i went to buy her pot from her dealer when she no longer could. She could not eat without the aid of it. However, the current system of distribution seems too lax to me.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:52 am

AsIfYouKnew wrote: And if the use of marijuana becomes much more prevalant, perhaps we should look at it again. However, in the here and now, it is not that prevalant, and I see no need for overturning the law.

This data tends to belie your notion pot use isn't that prevalent. Perhaps you could define "prevalent" in terms of percentages as you see it. What percentage of the population would be considered prevalent to you? Thanks.

Marijuana is the Nation's most commonly used illicit drug. More than 94 million Americans (40 percent) age 12 and older have tried marijuana at least once, according to the 2003 National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH).23

Marijuana use is widespread among adolescents and young adults. The percentage of middle-school students who reported using marijuana increased throughout the early 1990s.24 In the past few years, according to the 2004 Monitoring the Future Survey, an annual survey of drug use among the Nation's middle and high school students, illicit drug use by 8th-, 10th-, and 12th-graders has leveled off.24 Still, in 2004, 16 percent of 8th-graders reported that they had tried marijuana, and 6 percent were current users (defined as having used the drug in the 30 days preceding the survey).24 Among 10th-graders, 35 percent had tried marijuana sometime in their lives, and 16 percent were current users.24 As would be expected, rates of use among 12th-graders were higher still. Forty-six percent had tried marijuana at some time, and 20 percent were current users.24

http://www.drugabuse.gov/ResearchReport ... uana2.html

Brooke

Postby Brooke » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:51 pm

Fordama

GASP!

HEY!

I'm going to tell JQP on you!

Stop calling me a sack of s***!

I have given you lots of reasons why I think so and you will not defend yourself except with one line BS that make no sense. You know I'm right, you might as well admit it and get it over with. It will only hurt for a minute or so.

Brooke

Postby Brooke » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:52 pm

Fordama
Parrotpaul wrote:She isn't acting.

Wise up PARROT! I always suspected that you weren't a gentleman. Now I know it for sure.

18echo
Oversight Committee

Postby 18echo » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:59 pm

tLIB wrote:

Yep, the 21st Amendment sure got rid of our organized crime syndicates...
"Hoc spatium adsuesco assuesco pro profunda rhetoricam."

AsIfYouKnew

Postby AsIfYouKnew » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:30 pm

Parrotpaul wrote:This data tends to belie your notion pot use isn't that prevalent. Perhaps you could define "prevalent" in terms of percentages as you see it. What percentage of the population would be considered prevalent to you? Thanks.

Marijuana is the Nation's most commonly used illicit drug. More than 94 million Americans (40 percent) age 12 and older have tried marijuana at least once, according to the 2003 National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH).23

Marijuana use is widespread among adolescents and young adults. The percentage of middle-school students who reported using marijuana increased throughout the early 1990s.24 In the past few years, according to the 2004 Monitoring the Future Survey, an annual survey of drug use among the Nation's middle and high school students, illicit drug use by 8th-, 10th-, and 12th-graders has leveled off.24 Still, in 2004, 16 percent of 8th-graders reported that they had tried marijuana, and 6 percent were current users (defined as having used the drug in the 30 days preceding the survey).24 Among 10th-graders, 35 percent had tried marijuana sometime in their lives, and 16 percent were current users.24 As would be expected, rates of use among 12th-graders were higher still. Forty-six percent had tried marijuana at some time, and 20 percent were current users.24

http://www.drugabuse.gov/ResearchReport ... uana2.html

Not sure, but i am sure the line will look quite obvious when I see it. These statistics can be misleading, as it only deals with middle school and high school age kids.
Jonathan Swift

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:07 pm

AsIfYouKnew wrote:
Not sure, but i am sure the line will look quite obvious when I see it. These statistics can be misleading, as it only deals with middle school and high school age kids.

Try this..... http://stash.norml.org/who-are-you-us-g ... uana-users

Or, get your own data from the site he used.... http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/quicktables/ ... 001_du%3A7

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:19 pm

Brooke wrote:Stop calling me a sack of s***!
I didn't call you a sack of s*t, I said you were acting like one.

And while your post stands, so will my view of it.

Fordama

GOODave

Postby GOODave » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:43 am

Fordama wrote:I didn't call you a sack of s*t, I said you were acting like one.

Interesting dynamic I've observed in others here on many occassions: Bev has a lot of difficulty separating her behavior from her identity. In her case, her racism (and all the accompanying behaviors and attitudes and statements) is so much a part of her being that when you rightly criticized her behavior, she understood you to be calling her a name.

you very clearly criticized her behavior (in this case, a personal disparagement against you and Paul); but she thought you were calling her a name.

I have found members of other groups possessed of the same inability: Homosexuals for example. I think it was you or TDad who pointed out that their sexual preference is so tied into their being that "behavior" is nearly indistinguishable from identity so it is almost meaningless for someone to point out "I'm criticizing the [homosexual] behavior, not the homosexual" or a more contemporary Christian rationale of "...love the sinner, hate the sin."

Return to “Crime and Punishment”