twohundredthou.com

Geek spoken here
18echo
Oversight Committee

twohundredthou.com

Post by 18echo »

Bad Education: Graduate Turns to the Internet To Fund $200,000 Undergrad Bill
By: Glen Levy

Meet Kelli Space. She's 23, graduated from high school in 2005, and went to Northeastern University. But she's saddled with $200,000 of debt. What to do? Beg for help on the internet.

Kelli's student loan crisis has turned into such a nightmare that she's started a website, TwoHundredThou.com, asking for financial assistance from the public.

The situation sure looks bleak and Kelli told Gawker that she accepts responsibility for her actions and recognizes that people may wish to contribute to more worthy charities. "There is still no way to make these monthly payments, and live on my own as a contributing member of society. Neither of my parents, nor I, really knew how this would pan out — unfortunately — and now that I'm here, I see no real light at the end of the tunnel."

When you consider that the average 2009 college graduate accrued $24,000 in student loan debt, the Koreas are doing their damnedest to start World War III, most of Europe is gripped by financial fear and nobody in American politics can get along, it's difficult to put a positive spin on the events unfolding before our eyes right now. Still, could be worse, at least we've got our health (if we've got insurance).

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2010/11/23/bad ... z16XS5JDr0
$200k plus interest and no "doctor" at the end of it?
A bachelor's in sociology?
The median salary for for an MSW is around $50k, I'd have to check the Chili's website to see what a bachelor's in Sociology brings home plus tips...
8)

Remember back in the olden times when college kids took out loans that covered just tuition and got jobs that paid rent?
"Hoc spatium adsuesco assuesco pro profunda rhetoricam."
pattywannamack

Re: twohundredthou.com

Post by pattywannamack »

18echo wrote:
$200k plus interest and no "doctor" at the end of it?
A bachelor's in sociology?
The median salary for for an MSW is around $50k, I'd have to check the Chili's website to see what a bachelor's in Sociology brings home plus tips...
8)

Remember back in the olden times when college kids took out loans that covered just tuition and got jobs that paid rent?
I think cost is something that a lot of high school seniors have to consider when it comes to making their college choices. When I was applying last year, I really wanted to go to Chapman or LMU because they both had great film programs. While there's no doubt in my mind that I would have received great educations from both of those schools, I am really happy that I ended up at Cal State Long Beach simply because it is so affordable in comparison.

Right now I am working part time to pay off my tuition, and I'm saving up for an apartment so that way my parents don't have to take care of my housing fees next year. There's no way I could do that if I went to either LMU or Chapman. I think a quality education is very important, and it's certainly something that is highly valued by society nowadays. At the same time though, I think the life experience that comes with having to work and pay for your college education is something that is immensely undervalued and is something that should be considered a positive asset in becoming a successful, hardworking, and responsible person later down the road.
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.
18echo
Oversight Committee

Post by 18echo »

pattywannamack wrote: I think cost is something that a lot of high school seniors have to consider when it comes to making their college choices. When I was applying last year, I really wanted to go to Chapman or LMU because they both had great film programs. While there's no doubt in my mind that I would have received great educations from both of those schools, I am really happy that I ended up at Cal State Long Beach simply because it is so affordable in comparison.
UCLA has a pretty good film program, though the rent in Westwood is a tad higher than the 562...
UCLA film alumni:
Jack Black
Lloyd Bridges
Carol Burnett
Nicolas Cage, Academy Award winner
James Coburn, Academy Award winner
Francis Ford Coppola, five-time Academy Award winner
Alex Gibney, Academy Award winner
Mariska Hargitay, Golden Globe and Emmy winner
Mark Harmon
Kayo Hatta, Sundance Film Festival award winner
James Horner, Academy Award winner
Jayne Mansfield, Golden Globe winner
Ray Manzarek
Frank Marshall
Jim Morrison, lead singer and lyricist of The Doors
Robert A. Nakamura filmmaker, co-founder of Visual Communications (VC)
Alexander Payne, Academy Award winner
Rob Reiner, two-time Emmy winner
Tim Robbins, Academy Award winner
Eric Roth, Academy Award winner
Pietro Scalia, two-time Academy Award winner
Joel Schumacher
Paul Schrader, Academy Award nominee
Tom Skerritt
Penelope Spheeris
George Takei
David S. Ward, Academy Award winner
Aron J. Warner, Academy Award winner
John Williams, five-time Academy Award winner
"Hoc spatium adsuesco assuesco pro profunda rhetoricam."
pattywannamack

Post by pattywannamack »

18echo wrote: UCLA has a pretty good film program, though the rent in Westwood is a tad higher than the 562...
UCLA film alumni:
Jack Black
Lloyd Bridges
Carol Burnett
Nicolas Cage, Academy Award winner
James Coburn, Academy Award winner
Francis Ford Coppola, five-time Academy Award winner
Alex Gibney, Academy Award winner
Mariska Hargitay, Golden Globe and Emmy winner
Mark Harmon
Kayo Hatta, Sundance Film Festival award winner
James Horner, Academy Award winner
Jayne Mansfield, Golden Globe winner
Ray Manzarek
Frank Marshall
Jim Morrison, lead singer and lyricist of The Doors
Robert A. Nakamura filmmaker, co-founder of Visual Communications (VC)
Alexander Payne, Academy Award winner
Rob Reiner, two-time Emmy winner
Tim Robbins, Academy Award winner
Eric Roth, Academy Award winner
Pietro Scalia, two-time Academy Award winner
Joel Schumacher
Paul Schrader, Academy Award nominee
Tom Skerritt
Penelope Spheeris
George Takei
David S. Ward, Academy Award winner
Aron J. Warner, Academy Award winner
John Williams, five-time Academy Award winner
UCLA has a phenomenal film program, but UCLA itself is damn near impossible to get into, and it's even more competitive to actually get into the film program. I think the UC's have the best bang for your buck as far as education goes because they provide the prestige of going to a high end university, without the ridiculously high priced tuition, but they are all very competitive to get into nowadays so going to them right out of high school isn't necessarily a viable option for a lot of people.
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.
longtimeobserver

Post by longtimeobserver »

Long Beach States Film Dept. is VERY COMPETITIVE with others in Southern California.
Spielberg attended LB State and has helped fund the dept.
GOODave

Post by GOODave »

I don't know why the comparatively MUCH LESS expensive community college for the first two years is not used much more in this scenario.

But, then, I just read that article in the Parade magazine(in our Sunday paper) that says a teenager's pre-frontal cortex is not developed until their mid-to-late 20's, so planning ahead and foreseeing consequential impacts are not very well developed at that age:
The frontal lobes, and particularly the prefrontal cortex, are one of the last areas of the brain to develop. Researchers now believe that the prefrontal cortex -- responsible for things like organizing plans and ideas, forming strategies, and controlling impulses -- is not fully developed until the late 20s.
Moreover,
University of Utah professor Deborah Yurgelun-Todd and a team of collaborators have been studying brain development. In an initial study at the McLean Hospital in Belmont, Mass., they wanted to see how teenagers registered emotions compared with adults. They hooked up 18 children between the ages of 10 and 18 to an fMRI machine and showed them photos of people in different emotional states. When presented with a photo of a woman and asked what emotion she was registering, 100% of the adults said "fear," which was correct. Only 50% of the teenagers correctly identified that emotion. Moreover, the teens and adults used different areas of the brain to process what they were feeling. Teens rely much more on the amygdala, a small almond-shaped region in the medial and temporal lobes that processes memory and emotions, while adults rely more on the frontal cortex, which governs reason and forethought.
I found these two areas from the article very relevant to my own teenager.