ISP and Home Networking

Geek spoken here
not4u13

ISP and Home Networking

Post by not4u13 »

I signed up for Time Warner TurboPlus and the 20Mb/s download speed. They told me I had to get their new cable modem/wireless network to "handle" the increased speed. I wasn't wild about the idea of having a technician come out and mess up my rather complicated home network, but I agreed as long as they waived the installation charge. The guy comes out, takes one look at my network and tells me that I obviously know more about this stuff than he does. I didn't need the system they told me I needed and we checked my speed using Speedtest.net and sure enough, I'm now running at over 20Mb/s.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
not4u13

Re: ISP and Home Networking

Post by not4u13 »

On the home networking side of things, I've got two Linksys Wireless-G routers configured with the same SSID. They overlap to give me better coverage. They are both on the same wired network in the home. I've also got a hub in each entertainment center to handle all the network devices there. I am using the MAC Address Filter. My question is, when I enter a MAC address in one router, do I also need to enter it into the other router, or do they share the same list because they are sharing the same SSID?

I'm thinking that one router really doesn't know anything about the other and I've got to configure both.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

not4u13 wrote:On the home networking side of things, I've got two Linksys Wireless-G routers configured with the same SSID. They overlap to give me better coverage. They are both on the same wired network in the home. I've also got a hub in each entertainment center to handle all the network devices there. I am using the MAC Address Filter. My question is, when I enter a MAC address in one router, do I also need to enter it into the other router, or do they share the same list because they are sharing the same SSID?

I'm thinking that one router really doesn't know anything about the other and I've got to configure both.
I am pretty sure that they know nothing about each other.

I have a linksys that I upgraded to use Tomato. It runs great, and you can manually configure the signals to get more distance, and to block adds (Sorry , JP).

If you understand routing, I would look into it.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html
18echo
Oversight Committee

Post by 18echo »

not4u13 wrote:On the home networking side of things, I've got two Linksys Wireless-G routers configured with the same SSID. They overlap to give me better coverage. They are both on the same wired network in the home. I've also got a hub in each entertainment center to handle all the network devices there. I am using the MAC Address Filter. My question is, when I enter a MAC address in one router, do I also need to enter it into the other router, or do they share the same list because they are sharing the same SSID?

You are correct, the routers' settings are independent from each other.

Any setting (assigned IP addresses, MAC filtering, port forwarding, WPA) would have to be configured on both.
"Hoc spatium adsuesco assuesco pro profunda rhetoricam."
18echo
Oversight Committee

Post by 18echo »

AsIfYouKnew wrote:I have a linksys that I upgraded to use Tomato. It runs great, and you can manually configure the signals to get more distance, and to block adds (Sorry , JP).

If you understand routing, I would look into it.
Tomato is about as user-friendly as it gets.

Had you tried OpenWRT or any other open source prior to Tomato?
"Hoc spatium adsuesco assuesco pro profunda rhetoricam."
AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

18echo wrote: Tomato is about as user-friendly as it gets.

Had you tried OpenWRT or any other open source prior to Tomato?
No, my son came back from Cal Poly Slo and turned me on to Tomato. I had an upscale Linksys/Cisco router that was not compatible, so I traded him for an older one with Tomato. He is going to see if he can find a port of OpenWRT for that router.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html