Help! Looking up saved passwords in Internet Explorer

Geek spoken here
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Help! Looking up saved passwords in Internet Explorer

Post by John Q. Public »

I have a little pay issue (ok, not so little) that I'm trying to look up and, of course, the password that I have written down doesn't work. Neither did the 2 guesses I got at what I might have changed it to.

So, before I get locked out again, does anybody know how to look up your saved passwords in IE? It's a piece of cake with any other browser but I don't see a way of doing it with IE. It's a third-party site and there's no "I forgot my password" link, so I'm kind of stuck. Anybody?
Don't look at me, I just work here.
Wiley

Re: Help! Looking up saved passwords in Internet Explorer

Post by Wiley »

John Q. Public wrote:I have a little pay issue (ok, not so little) that I'm trying to look up and, of course, the password that I have written down doesn't work. Neither did the 2 guesses I got at what I might have changed it to.

So, before I get locked out again, does anybody know how to look up your saved passwords in IE? It's a piece of cake with any other browser but I don't see a way of doing it with IE. It's a third-party site and there's no "I forgot my password" link, so I'm kind of stuck. Anybody?
Not sure if this would help but it's a start...

http://www.tech-faq.com/internet-explor ... overy.html
"If you love me you've got to help me pass this bill." - Barak Obama
SoMelo

Post by SoMelo »

John Q. Public wrote:I have a little pay issue (ok, not so little) that I'm trying to look up and, of course, the password that I have written down doesn't work. Neither did the 2 guesses I got at what I might have changed it to.

[-X this is the exact reason why you should always keep your passwords on a sticky note next to your monitor :wink:
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

SoMelo wrote: [-X this is the exact reason why you should always keep your passwords on a sticky note next to your monitor :wink:
Don't laugh. That's one of the reasons why some security experts are going back on their idea of changing your passwords regularly. If they have to change them too often, people tend to put them on sticky notes or to make them so simple even a grownup can hack them. Or they forget them. Better to chose a couple good ones, use one for money matters and one for stuff like message boards and then change them more like once a year.
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

I use Identity Protection Manager in Norton. It automatically puts in any password I have saved to the application. It is convenient, accurate, and saves all kinds of time and problems.

BTW...the dialog boxes have once again taken on a mind of their own...arbitrarily putting my cursor in places I don't want it to be.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Wiley wrote:Not sure if this would help but it's a start...

http://www.tech-faq.com/internet-explor ... overy.html
Thanks but, I don't seem to have one saved for it. Damn!

Good thing there was a freeware one. It kind of seems like extortion to have to spend $30 or $40 when your whole purpose of looking for a password is to figure out why half of your paycheck was missing.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Parrotpaul wrote:I use Identity Protection Manager in Norton. It automatically puts in any password I have saved to the application. It is convenient, accurate, and saves all kinds of time and problems.

BTW...the dialog boxes have once again taken on a mind of their own...arbitrarily putting my cursor in places I don't want it to be.
It's your browser. All I can say is get Firefox. IE wants code that's written specifically for it. Trouble is that people get tired of writing all of the exceptions for it.
SLK230

Post by SLK230 »

Can't you call or write the company?
Thought for the day:
We are always hearing about how Social Security is going to run out of money.
How come we never hear about Welfare running out of money?
kramer

Post by kramer »

SoMelo wrote: [-X this is the exact reason why you should always keep your passwords on a sticky note next to your monitor :wink:
The Mac comes with a program called Keychain. I use it to hold all of my passwords (it's encrypted) and I put the icon of it in the menubar so it's easy to open it when I need it.

Why you guys use a cheesy knock-off of Apple's OS is beyond me... :D
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock
Seadog

Post by Seadog »

Usally you can click on the forgot password or user name and it will ask you for your email, then send you an email with a temp password and you go back in and change the password. Also note books or a little personal phone book.
"Todo lo que necesitamos es ganas"
("All we need is the want")
"Stand and Deliver"
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

Symantec has a great little program attached to the Norton security system...it remembers all your passwords for you. It inserts them for the amount of time you are booted up. When you start your computer it asks for the password.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
SoMelo

Post by SoMelo »

Paul wrote:Symantec has a great little program attached to the Norton security system...it remembers all your passwords for you. It inserts them for the amount of time you are booted up. When you start your computer it asks for the password.
:thumbsdown: Nortons
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

SoMelo wrote: :thumbsdown: Nortons
Works well for me.
AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

kramer wrote:
The Mac comes with a program called Keychain. I use it to hold all of my passwords (it's encrypted) and I put the icon of it in the menubar so it's easy to open it when I need it.

Why you guys use a cheesy knock-off of Apple's OS is beyond me... :D
It is called "productivity". :mrgreen:
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html
SoMelo

Post by SoMelo »

Paul wrote: Works well for me.
After being on the phone for over 70 minutes with "George" (in India), he had the balz to send me to an automated customer service survey :roll:
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

I got it fixed. And got my missing $. Turns out that the 3 passwords they say aren't related are in reality and changing our email PW invalidates the others and we have to call HR, get them all reset and then start from scratch. So, this time, when I got the notice to change my email PW I changed all 3 of them in reverse order and it worked. Don't ask. --:--
SoMelo

Post by SoMelo »

John Q. Public wrote:I got it fixed. And got my missing $. Turns out that the 3 passwords they say aren't related are in reality and changing our email PW invalidates the others and we have to call HR, get them all reset and then start from scratch. So, this time, when I got the notice to change my email PW I changed all 3 of them in reverse order and it worked. Don't ask. --:--
It keeps the IT dept employed
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

SoMelo wrote: :thumbsdown: Nortons
Ditto here. I stopped using their stuff when they switched from one-time purchase to subscription.