New Camera -- Thoughts?

Geek spoken here
not4u13

New Camera -- Thoughts?

Post by not4u13 »

I just picked up a Canon EOS Rebel T2i bundle from Costco.

The cnet review for this is here:
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras ... entBody;1r

They seem to like it. I haven't had a chance to do much yet, except charge the battery.

The costco bundle came with a 4GB SD card, camera bag/gadget case and an extra lens (55-250) all for $949.
That link is here:
http://reviews.costco.com/2070/11612222 ... TextLength

I have 90 days under Costco return policy to return it.

I know there are a few of you out there who are pretty good photographers. Curious as to your thoughts.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
Wiley

Re: New Camera -- Thoughts?

Post by Wiley »

Great camera and lense for normal family use - indoor and outdoor. I use a Canon EOS 40 D with standard 28-135mm zoom and 70-200mm 1:2.8 telephoto for sports action.
"If you love me you've got to help me pass this bill." - Barak Obama
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

I took a look at a few other lenses today, just to get some comparisons. I am not sure these lenses are going to be fast enough for what I want to capture. I take alot of indoor pictures of dancers, most of which are gymnasium lighting (as opposed to theater lighting). I'll have a chance to really test it out in a few weeks at a dance competition.

I think the camera body is pretty decent, but I'm wondering if I should have skipped this "package" and instead looked to purchase a better single lens and this camera body.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
oceanvue

Post by oceanvue »

Wiley's an accomplished photographer..I'd listen
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

oceanvue wrote:Wiley's an accomplished photographer..I'd listen
I'm definately listening! That's why I went out and looked at some other lenses. The real cost of a decent setup is always going to be in the glass. Those lenses he mentioned are definately better than the kit lenses I got, but they are also way more expensive. I've got to decide if what I have will be "good enough" for me or not.

Another option is to return the Costco setup and instead of buying a kit, buy one good lense and the camera body separate. It's going to cost more, but I'm not sure how much more.
AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

I am in the market for a camera as well. I am saving a few more bucks to the the Canon 60D. A friend of mine let me use it, and it is superieor to the T2 (or T3 for that matter) in low light conditions.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

After lugging a Minolta SRT 101 35MM SLR and a camera bag full of lenses, filters, covers, tissue, lens cleaner, etc, around for decades ...I have owned three different digital pocket cameras...my latest is a Nikon COOLPIx 12 megapixel pocket piece with a 7 X zoom...it has fallen down hillsides...fallen out of my pocketr onto rocks, and traveled all over the country taking spectaculer photos.

Unless someone is a pro, I don't see the need for the big box cameras.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

Paul wrote:After lugging a Minolta SRT 101 35MM SLR and a camera bag full of lenses, filters, covers, tissue, lens cleaner, etc, around for decades ...I have owned three different digital pocket cameras...my latest is a Nikon COOLPIx 12 megapixel pocket piece with a 7 X zoom...it has fallen down hillsides...fallen out of my pocketr onto rocks, and traveled all over the country taking spectaculer photos.

Unless someone is a pro, I don't see the need for the big box cameras.
That is a pretty good point Paul and is the reason why I haven't made that leap until now. Getting the picture is far more important than having the picture be great. The best shots may not even be in frame. They are capturing great memories and to do that, you've got to have your camera with you. This is why I got my daughter a compact SLR with a 10x optical zoom. It is a Canon and it takes great pictures. She can put it in her purse or pocket and take it almost anywhere. It is larger than most point-and-shoot but it has some nice SLR functionality. I'm taking that on a couple of shore excursions during a cruise to Alasksa instead of a full blown dSLR simply because it is much more portable and I won't really have the ability to carry the larger camera.

That said, I've been a bit disappointed with some of the images I am able to capture with my current cameras. In addition to the Canon compact SLR I mentioned, I also have a Kodak compact SLR with a 12x optical zoom and a couple of Nikon CoolPix.

A couple of examples:
I was inside the Crystal Cathedral on Saturday and trying to take pictures of my kid walking into the auditorium and into the choir loft from the balcony. The images were blury, even with image stablization. The problem is that by the time I zoom I am losing so much light that the camera slows the shutter to the point where any movement at all (by me or the subject) causes the image to blur. This is just ordinary walking in a well light building in the middle of the day. I was able to get some very decent shots when all the movement stopped but I feel like I missed out on some opportunties here.

My (other) kid is a member of the dance team. My current camera can take decent group shots at high shutter speeds and even limit the motion, but as with the other situations, once I start to zoom in, the light loss is noticable and I'm no longer getting good pictures. I have to take wider shots and crop them with software.

All of my kids have been on stage at one time or another and the light level can be pretty low. I can't really take an pictures with any of the equipment I currently have. Wide shots leave color too distorted or the picture turns really graining from the digital gain the CMOS needs to capture an image. I can play with the settings and eventually get a decent picture, especially with the Canon (more programable) but there are still limitations and I still can't zoom.

I know the lenses with this kit are not going to solve all of my problems because they just aren't THAT fast. But I am hopeful that they will improve the situation significantly. Based on the reviews I've read on both the camera and the lenses, I'll have many more options available and the CMOS is much more light sesative and can actually increase the ASA to about 800 without picking up any grain.
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

not4u13 wrote:
That is a pretty good point Paul and is the reason why I haven't made that leap until now. Getting the picture is far more important than having the picture be great. The best shots may not even be in frame. They are capturing great memories and to do that, you've got to have your camera with you. This is why I got my daughter a compact SLR with a 10x optical zoom. It is a Canon and it takes great pictures. She can put it in her purse or pocket and take it almost anywhere. It is larger than most point-and-shoot but it has some nice SLR functionality. I'm taking that on a couple of shore excursions during a cruise to Alasksa instead of a full blown dSLR simply because it is much more portable and I won't really have the ability to carry the larger camera.

That said, I've been a bit disappointed with some of the images I am able to capture with my current cameras. In addition to the Canon compact SLR I mentioned, I also have a Kodak compact SLR with a 12x optical zoom and a couple of Nikon CoolPix.

A couple of examples:
I was inside the Crystal Cathedral on Saturday and trying to take pictures of my kid walking into the auditorium and into the choir loft from the balcony. The images were blury, even with image stablization. The problem is that by the time I zoom I am losing so much light that the camera slows the shutter to the point where any movement at all (by me or the subject) causes the image to blur. This is just ordinary walking in a well light building in the middle of the day. I was able to get some very decent shots when all the movement stopped but I feel like I missed out on some opportunties here.

My (other) kid is a member of the dance team. My current camera can take decent group shots at high shutter speeds and even limit the motion, but as with the other situations, once I start to zoom in, the light loss is noticable and I'm no longer getting good pictures. I have to take wider shots and crop them with software.

All of my kids have been on stage at one time or another and the light level can be pretty low. I can't really take an pictures with any of the equipment I currently have. Wide shots leave color too distorted or the picture turns really graining from the digital gain the CMOS needs to capture an image. I can play with the settings and eventually get a decent picture, especially with the Canon (more programable) but there are still limitations and I still can't zoom.

I know the lenses with this kit are not going to solve all of my problems because they just aren't THAT fast. But I am hopeful that they will improve the situation significantly. Based on the reviews I've read on both the camera and the lenses, I'll have many more options available and the CMOS is much more light sesative and can actually increase the ASA to about 800 without picking up any grain.
We were in Gunnison, Colo. a month ago....the COOLPIX on automatic does quite well in low light situation even without the flash...my biggest complaint is when the days are cloudy bright with no blue sky...shooting into that trying to get snowcapped mountains doesn't come out well...but when the sky is chrystal clear blue the colors pop. I love that camera.

I just gave away my entire camera bag full of 35MM stuff and the camera. A teacher colleague collects them.....they're selling for like $50 on Ebay.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

Jury is still out on the camera. Took it to graduation and was able to take some pretty nice pictures, but I really don't think they turned out as well as I think they should have.

Seriously thinking about a return. I was eyeing the Nikon D7000 awhile back. I do like the Canon D60, but I think the real issue are the lenses.

Question for Wiley ... is that 70-200 lens you mention a Canon lens? A buddy of mine at work showed me a lens (I think it was a Tamron) that took some amazing shots. I think it was a 70-200 also. It was 2.8 through the entire range. I want something longer than 200 but I'm afraid that is going to get way out of my price range very quickly. I'm not real interested in spending much more than $2000 for the entire setup, including accessories.
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

[quote="not4u13"]

I may be answering my own question here ... but is this the lens?

This thing is priced at $2500
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS USM Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras

I was looking at CNET and DPREVIEW and they both love the 60D, but this is really going to blow the budget.
SoMelo

Post by SoMelo »

not4u13 wrote:
I sent you a PM
AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

not4u13 wrote:
that is a great lens, but you can go cheaper than that. This is the higher end lens.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

[quote="not4u13"][/quote]
Yikes! If you're going to be buying something like that, please use this link. :shock:

http://astore.amazon.com/occoncom-20/detail/B00006I53W :)
Note to self: must find "ho" smiley.

I had a nice camera at one time but it got stolen. Now, for some reason, I'm perfectly satisfied with a point-and-shoot. Although I do miss my wide-angle and telephoto lenses now and then.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

John Q. Public wrote:Yikes! If you're going to be buying something like that, please use this link. :shock:

http://astore.amazon.com/occoncom-20/detail/B00006I53W :)

I had a nice camera at one time but it got stolen. Now, for some reason, I'm perfectly satisfied with a point-and-shoot. Although I do miss my wide-angle and telephoto lenses now and then.
I'm definately not going to be spending that much money ... but thanks for the reminder about the OC Connect store. I'll keep that in mind.

After doing more research this morning I'm thinking I'll keep this setup for now. I still have more than 60 days before the return window closes. I'm not unhappy with the camera body.

The 60D has more capabilities such as faster shutter speeds and more color settings, but there are some drawbacks too and it is quite a bit more expensive. I think I like the Nikon 7000 better, although they are very comparable.

There don't seem to be anything between the lenses I have and the L series lenses that run up over $1000 each. There is a nice 85mm fixed length 1.8 lens for about $500 that I might consider getting.

Thanks for all the help so far! It is really getting me thinking. Keep it coming.
Wiley

Post by Wiley »

not4u13 wrote:
I'm definately not going to be spending that much money ... but thanks for the reminder about the OC Connect store. I'll keep that in mind.

After doing more research this morning I'm thinking I'll keep this setup for now. I still have more than 60 days before the return window closes. I'm not unhappy with the camera body.

The 60D has more capabilities such as faster shutter speeds and more color settings, but there are some drawbacks too and it is quite a bit more expensive. I think I like the Nikon 7000 better, although they are very comparable.

There don't seem to be anything between the lenses I have and the L series lenses that run up over $1000 each. There is a nice 85mm fixed length 1.8 lens for about $500 that I might consider getting.

Thanks for all the help so far! It is really getting me thinking. Keep it coming.
It doesn't sound like you plan to shoot high speed sports action where your station is more than 25-yards from the subject. There's a big difference in cost as you know. My rig cost $7000 and I still don't have the Canon EF400mm f/2.8L lense I wanted ($8,000). If you're not using a 2.8 lense you'll never stop the speed and get the clarity. The 70-200mm f/2.8 telephoto lens I use requires that my station is no more than 40-yards from a single subject. The photogs at USC games are mostly limited to the endzone. However, the 300 and 400 lenses they use can shoot the entire field. Good luck.
"If you love me you've got to help me pass this bill." - Barak Obama
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

Wiley wrote: It doesn't sound like you plan to shoot high speed sports action where your station is more than 25-yards from the subject. There's a big difference in cost as you know. My rig cost $7000 and I still don't have the Canon EF400mm f/2.8L lense I wanted ($8,000). If you're not using a 2.8 lense you'll never stop the speed and get the clarity. The 70-200mm f/2.8 telephoto lens I use requires that my station is no more than 40-yards from a single subject. The photogs at USC games are mostly limited to the endzone. However, the 300 and 400 lenses they use can shoot the entire field. Good luck.
That is a good way to measure it. Thanks! I'm lobbying for a better option with my wife. There is a $1500 lens that seems to be getting very good reviews but it isn't a 2.8 either. (

The reviews are coming from people who are taking shots of stationary subjects though.

I may have to work with what I've got until I can get a better lens later ... just trying to reconcile all of it and decide if I'd rather go without until I can afford to do something better, or go with this for now and add better lenses along the way.
THe Nug

Post by THe Nug »

An interesting story regarding photography...

A Start-Up’s Camera Lets You Take Shots First and Focus Later
By STEVE LOHR

With an innovative camera due out later this year from a company called Lytro, photographers will have one less excuse for having missed that perfect shot.

The company’s technology allows a picture’s focus to be adjusted after it is taken. While viewing a picture taken with a Lytro camera on a computer screen, you can, for example, click to bring people in the foreground into sharp relief, or switch the focus to the mountains behind them.

But is Lytro’s technology just a neat feature, or is it the next big thing in cameras?

The founding team of the Silicon Valley start-up and investors who have put in $50 million are betting on the latter. The technology has won praise from computer scientists and raves from early users of its prototype camera.

“We see technology companies all the time, but it’s rare that someone comes along with something that is this much of a breakthrough,” said Ben Horowitz, co-founder of Andreessen Horowitz, a major investor in Lytro. “It’s superexciting.”

Lytro’s founder and chief executive is Ren Ng, 31. His achievement, experts say, has been to take research projects of recent years — requiring perhaps 100 digital cameras lashed to a supercomputer — and squeeze that technology into a camera headed for the consumer market later this year.

Mr. Ng explained the concept in 2006 in his Ph.D. thesis at Stanford University, which won the worldwide competition for the best doctoral dissertation in computer science that year from the Association for Computing Machinery. Since then Mr. Ng has been trying to translate the idea into a product that can be brought to market — and building a team of people to do it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/22/techn ... ef=general
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

Funny thing ... I went into Costco today for an entirely different reason but looked to see if they had any different camera bundles and the one I bought just last week was $100 cheaper!

I took the receipt over to membership services and they credited me the $100. Now my $949 camera bundle is only $849. Samy's has the camera with the base lens for $749, which means I got the extra lens, bag and all the accessories for just $100. Now I'll feel better when I chuck that 55-250 lens for a better one in a few weeks.
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

Wiley wrote: It doesn't sound like you plan to shoot high speed sports action where your station is more than 25-yards from the subject. There's a big difference in cost as you know. My rig cost $7000 and I still don't have the Canon EF400mm f/2.8L lense I wanted ($8,000). If you're not using a 2.8 lense you'll never stop the speed and get the clarity. The 70-200mm f/2.8 telephoto lens I use requires that my station is no more than 40-yards from a single subject. The photogs at USC games are mostly limited to the endzone. However, the 300 and 400 lenses they use can shoot the entire field. Good luck.
I purchased a 50 mm f1.4 lens yesterday from Tuttle camera in Long Beach. So far I've decided to keep this camera but I have another 45 days or so to decide. The camera body seems to be able to do what I want, whatever lenses I buy will still work if I decide to upgrade to another Canon instead.

Anyway, my intended use for this 50 mm lens is to take low light shots in a gym of dance routines and on stage shots of theater productions, all without flash. This 50 mm lens is fixed length and with the APS-C sensor I'm actually getting about 80 mm telephoto. In my brief experiment yesterday I was able to get some pretty good shots indoors at ASA 800 and a shutter of 500, but it kept the lens wide open at 1.4 to do it. This was on shutter priority (TV). I'm going to try Aperture priority next and set it at 2 and see what shutter speed I get at 800 ASA.

There is an all-day competition this weekend that I'll be shooting using this lens. It will be a good test.