New Camera -- Thoughts?

Geek spoken here
blackandyellow

Re: New Camera -- Thoughts?

Post by blackandyellow »

Hey we have the same camera! I'm not an avid photographer nor a skilled one, but it takes decent pictures and the lens are great.
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

blackandyellow wrote:Hey we have the same camera! I'm not an avid photographer nor a skilled one, but it takes decent pictures and the lens are great.
I see you are going through some of the older threads. I haven't updated this one in awhile.

I decided to keep the camera and I purchased a new 32Mb high speed SD card. Man that card is nice.

I have taken some very cool shots with the camera and some exceptional pictures with the 50mm f1.4 lens. I still haven't made the leap to the really expensive f2.8 zoom lenses.

Costco had this same setup available over the holidays for less than the 849 I ended up paying. I think it was 799.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

We ended up getting a two lens kit with the Canon T3i. Love the camera. Now I just need to learn to shoot again. It has been a long time since my Canon A1 back in High School.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

AsIfYouKnew wrote:We ended up getting a two lens kit with the Canon T3i. Love the camera. Now I just need to learn to shoot again. It has been a long time since my Canon A1 back in High School.
I'm still re-learning myself. These new cameras add new things to learn as well. While the basic premise still holds ... shutter speed and aperture are the keys ... the ability to adjust ISO settings on the fly is super nice, but you have to be careful with it. I've seen a lot of folks go all the way out to 6400 and end up with shots that really aren't up to standard. I only use 6400 when there is no other option.

I've also had a hard time getting used to where all the buttons are. I am used to setting aperture with the ring on the lens. When I'm in low light conditions, finding the right button on manual mode can be a real challenge. I find myself using Tv (time value) mode quite a bit. I set the ISO to Auto but not to exceed 3200 and fix the shutter speed based on the "action" I am shooting. I let the aperture adjust itself too and go from there.

Here are a few shots from Fantasmic!

Here is a shot from on board the Disney Wonder when we watched a show.

Here is one from Aladdin at the Hyperion theater.

Finally, one from the Soundsational parade over the summer.

All of these were with the t2i as I have been trying different low-light situations and playing with the camera.

Good luck. Would love to hear about your experiences and see some of your work as you re-learn.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

I was talking with my buddy today at coffee, and he turned me on to bracketing. You can set the camera to take one under, one regular and one over exposed shot, and use Adobe or Corel to blend them for optimal exposure. I am looking into it, but will update you. here are a few shots I have taken lately.
025.JPG
035.JPG
IMG_0165.JPG
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

Those are some excellent pictures. As you can see from mine, we are shooting very differnet subjects. Most of what I do is performance oriented. Theater, dance, parades. The lighting is difficult and I often have limited choice of where I am relative to the subjects. For that reason, bracketing doesn't work for me. I've seen some absolutely amazing pictures using bracketing, but unless the subject is still, bracketing doesn't work well, so I haven't tried it yet.

I've been considering taking a photography class to get more information, especially now that I've had my camera for six months or so and I've become better used to it. I have some software that came with the camera that I have never tried to install. It allows you to take images taken in the RAW format and process them into JPG after performing whatever corrections you want. I think photoshop would be much better. Because of this I have only shot in JPG and I haven't done anything to the photos. What came out of the camera is what I've got.

Are you shooting in RAW? Have you tried processing anything?
AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

not4u13 wrote:Those are some excellent pictures. As you can see from mine, we are shooting very differnet subjects. Most of what I do is performance oriented. Theater, dance, parades. The lighting is difficult and I often have limited choice of where I am relative to the subjects. For that reason, bracketing doesn't work for me. I've seen some absolutely amazing pictures using bracketing, but unless the subject is still, bracketing doesn't work well, so I haven't tried it yet.

I've been considering taking a photography class to get more information, especially now that I've had my camera for six months or so and I've become better used to it. I have some software that came with the camera that I have never tried to install. It allows you to take images taken in the RAW format and process them into JPG after performing whatever corrections you want. I think photoshop would be much better. Because of this I have only shot in JPG and I haven't done anything to the photos. What came out of the camera is what I've got.

Are you shooting in RAW? Have you tried processing anything?
I will shot in RAW if I know I will be trying to manipulate the pics, but I usually just shoot in JPG. I have Photoshop, but have yet to finish the tutorials on how to use it.
Jonathan Swift

Notorious

Post by Notorious »

I'm posting here because I need help buying a camera.

Mind you I'm retarded when it comes to this, anyway I need a camera for a bunch of trips I'm taking this year and preferably something that can pick up sound and shoots in HD. I'm going to a concert and want to record most of it on the camera.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch
AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

Read the thread from the start. If you don't want an SLR, what are you looking for?
Jonathan Swift