What's the big deal with iPods?

Geek spoken here
Charles

What's the big deal with iPods?

Post by Charles »

I don't understand why these things are so much more popular than standard MP3 players. iPods don't play WMA, they use iTunes, and they cost more. A regular MP3 player plugs and plays into any PC with no re-syncing hassles and they act like mass storage devices with a music player. You can drag and drop music files from windows explorer. iTunes completely takes control and won't let you plug our iPod into another computer without having to delete all the existing music.

Am I missing something?
SoMelo

Re: What's the big deal with iPods?

Post by SoMelo »

Charles wrote:I don't understand why these things are so much more popular than standard MP3 players. iPods don't play WMA, they use iTunes, and they cost more. A regular MP3 player plugs and plays into any PC with no re-syncing hassles and they act like mass storage devices with a music player. You can drag and drop music files from windows explorer. iTunes completely takes control and won't let you plug our iPod into another computer without having to delete all the existing music.

Am I missing something?
My iPod has WiFi, stores photos and movies
pattywannamack

Post by pattywannamack »

Charles wrote:I don't understand why these things are so much more popular than standard MP3 players. iPods don't play WMA, they use iTunes, and they cost more. A regular MP3 player plugs and plays into any PC with no re-syncing hassles and they act like mass storage devices with a music player. You can drag and drop music files from windows explorer. iTunes completely takes control and won't let you plug our iPod into another computer without having to delete all the existing music.

Am I missing something?
The only thing that you are missing is the mindless drones who think they are being hip and different by choosing an Apple product.

Aside form that, the iPod is an overpriced device that thrives off of marketing prowess alone.
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.
Red

Post by Red »

Am I missing something?
I have an ipod, but what I don't like about them, it seems to me they don't last very long as far as battery life.
Charles

Post by Charles »

SoMelo wrote: My iPod has WiFi, stores photos and movies
My kids have the iPod touch - maybe same thing you have - and yes the wifi is sort of nice but surfing with such a small screen isn't very easy. I have a mini laptop - fits in my backpack and it also has 3G so I can surf in the vanpool.

But seriously, before I tried putting songs on their ipods I had always used a Creative or something plain MP3 player and it was so easy with Windows Media Player. When they "insisted" they get an ipod and I suckered into it, I was so annoyed with how difficult itunes was to use and the hassles about connecting it to different computers.

My sort of theory on this is Apple is really aligned with the music industry and the music protection stuff and the music industry really digs on apple's attitude about protecting its music so they support it and people buying MP3 players will gravitate to the iPod since the musicians support it so much.
afan95

Post by afan95 »

pattywannamack wrote:
The only thing that you are missing is the mindless drones who think they are being hip and different by choosing an Apple product.

Aside form that, the iPod is an overpriced device that thrives off of marketing prowess alone.
Wrong...the reason everyone chooses the ipod is to fit in. If they were going to be different, they would use the MP3.

Disclosure....LONG AAPL
It's my Board and I will censor you when I feel like it JQP
pattywannamack

Post by pattywannamack »

afan95 wrote: Wrong...the reason everyone chooses the ipod is to fit in. If they were going to be different, they would use the MP3.

Disclosure....LONG AAPL
That's the genius of Apple's marketing. They somehow make people believe that they are buying a product that will make them unique and different, even though nearly everyone else has one.
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

Am I missing something?
Few things wrong with this, itunes on default syncs music to any ipod plugged in. It takes one box to uncheck to change this. It will no longer sync with any ipod device that's connected.

Second it's not more expensive because only suckers pay for music. While itunes has made it hard to drop and click individual songs it's not that hard to get songs onto any ipod from any computer. Shoot Youtube/Google will answer those questions in a relatively brief amount of time, I will grant you that it is cumbersome, and Apple's just trying to fight piracy (a losing battle I might add).

Apple markets much better than any other mp3 player and they have the reputation. Often it's not the best product that wins but the one who was there first and markets itself.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch
blackandyellow

Post by blackandyellow »

Not a big fan of ipods myself either. A smartphone can do everything an ipod can do.
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

I am not a fan of iPod personally, although everyone else in my family has one (or more) of them. There are a couple of things that make them "better" than a standard player, but the real reason for the success of the iPod is ... MARKETING.

1) iTunes makes things way easier. Yes, it is expensive, but some folks are more than willing to spend the money for ease of use. I've tried other download sites and they don't integrate the way iTunes does.
2) The iPod was the first to make it really easy to store, select and listen to your music. The interface on the device was super simple. A person could store a library of music and carry it with them very easily. Then they could use playlists and other features to very easily select the type of music they wanted and listen to it. This was made possible in the early versions via the small drive. The capacity was so much larger than anything else on the market at the time.

Those two things alone catapulted the iPod into a cult status. It became "hip" to own one and that brought sales to an all new level. Apple begain introducing new products that included higher capacity models on one end and "new" solid-state models (e.g. nano and shuffle) on the low end, all of which used the same interface and iTunes. It took everyone by surprise.

You may recall that prior to iTunes there was a lot of talk about Napster and pirated music. It made some people fearful to even try downloaded content. They were never sure what was legal and what wasn't. iTunes made this "safe".

Next came the iPhone, which turned the entire smartphone market on its ear. Few people really even knew what a smartphone was. The iPhone was more about marketing than anything else. Apple was able to package the features in a way that made it very easy to communicate to the public what they were buying. Prior to that the smartphone market was fragmented. Few players and all of them calling their devices phones with web browsers. Before the iPhone, the most popular smartphone was the Blackberry, but it was more for business users.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
slowyoroll

Post by slowyoroll »

We just released a bunch of the Ipod ads..Imo..they are now useless..they don't do anything that our cell phones don't do..I don't even know how much music we have on our phones but it's a lot
"IF YOU'RE NOT RICH, IF YOU DON'T HAVE A JOB DON'T BLAME WALL STREET BLAME YOURSELF!"

HERMAN CAIN

IDIOT
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

The reason I like having an ipod and a cell phone separately is because I like having 2 separate devices.

When they're both in one my battery usage dips a lot, and I don't exactly want to carry 5 extended batteries with me.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch