How did we get here?

Geek spoken here
Charles

How did we get here?

Post by Charles »

How did you find OC Connect?
What was it that made you want to join?

What's your story?

I was looking for forums other than City-Data that had local discussion. I joined because I have the keyboard equivalent of a big mouth.

Notorious

Re: How did we get here?

Post by Notorious »

I joined to troll people.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch
Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan »

Charles wrote:How did you find OC Connect?
I was given a link to the site.
There were some misguided people posting all sorts of goofy things regarding gay marriage, and I sought to set them straight...so to speak. ;)
What's your story?
A sordid tale of intrigue and suspense set against a backdrop of colossal banality.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

I wondered onto the site run by the OC Register a few years back. My primary goal at first was HS Sports. I also posted about the "Sport of the Arts" in hopes of drawing more attention to this high intensity activity. I found the information being shared on that site about HS Football in particular to be surprisingly good. A lot of passionate people, some of whom really knew a great deal about the game and the teams at the HS level.

That site had another "side" that included political discussions and the like and I sometimes wondered over there to check it out. I didn't participate much initially but became very curious when someone who went by "Bev" at the time was posting all sorts of outlandish articles and opinions on illegal immigrants bringing disease and destruction. There were some very intriguing conversations but most were more of a train wreck. That same individual eventually came here as "Brooke". Believe it or not, the posts made today are much more even toned and reasonable than back then.

Then the HS Sports forums began to implode and people started getting banned. Following that, the OC Register shut down the message boards and replaced them with what they have today. During those "end times" there were a couple of posts encouraging folks to come here to once again be free to talk HS Sports (and other things).

I still have kids in HS but I rarely participate in the HS sports discussions any longer. I don't have any connection to any of the teams and I rarely find time to attend games any more.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
SoMelo

Post by SoMelo »

I came from Classmates.com :roll:
oceanvue

Post by oceanvue »

I came here because it had a good beat and was easy to dance to
SoMelo

Post by SoMelo »

oceanvue wrote:I came here because it had a good beat and was easy to dance to
Yeah and the ambiance
oceanvue

Post by oceanvue »

you mean the waaaambience
perspixx

Post by perspixx »

Came over from the old board.
SLK230

Post by SLK230 »

SoMelo wrote:I came from Classmates.com :roll:

And 3rd base......
Thought for the day:
We are always hearing about how Social Security is going to run out of money.
How come we never hear about Welfare running out of money?
GOODave

Post by GOODave »

What's your story?
I was a long-standing member of the former OC Register community, My OC. The Register decided to move to a new format and, instead of migrating everyone and all the posts into the other format, they opened one and closed MYOC. I think that was in 2006: In the death throes of MYOC, my then "friend" Parrotpaul (as he was known in both communities) thought it a good idea to give JQP's fledgling community a marketing push by soliciting most of us at MYOC to join OCConnect. You might note that a lot of us (ThomasDad, Fordama, Mrs. Kravitz, even Brooke and some of the others) all have a a 2006 join date: We were all solicited to come over here.

I became more of a regular here after MYOC finally closed. Fordama and I had a "battle" to see who would have the last post at MYOC (I think Fordama won, but there's no way to verify that now so I should have said I won).

This was a great community until the trolls and stalkers started joining and the administration started ignoring their venom and antagonism. Mostly, I only hung around because I still have family in OC and like to keep tabs on what's going on. But I have other ways to keep up with them, now, so I really only keep bouncing back because the Administration wishes I wouldn't.

--:--
SLK230

Post by SLK230 »

GOODave wrote:
I was a long-standing member of the former OC Register community, My OC. The Register decided to move to a new format and, instead of migrating everyone and all the posts into the other format, they opened one and closed MYOC. I think that was in 2006: In the death throes of MYOC, my then "friend" Parrotpaul (as he was known in both communities) thought it a good idea to give JQP's fledgling community a marketing push by soliciting most of us at MYOC to join OCConnect. You might note that a lot of us (ThomasDad, Fordama, Mrs. Kravitz, even Brooke and some of the others) all have a a 2006 join date: We were all solicited to come over here.

I became more of a regular here after MYOC finally closed. Fordama and I had a "battle" to see who would have the last post at MYOC (I think Fordama won, but there's no way to verify that now so I should have said I won).

This was a great community until the trolls and stalkers started joining and the administration started ignoring their venom and antagonism. Mostly, I only hung around because I still have family in OC and like to keep tabs on what's going on. But I have other ways to keep up with them, now, so I really only keep bouncing back because the Administration wishes I wouldn't.

--:--
Welcome back Dave.
Thought for the day:
We are always hearing about how Social Security is going to run out of money.
How come we never hear about Welfare running out of money?
GOODave

Post by GOODave »

Thanks, Al, but I'm not back. Just stopping by on my way to a real community.

I'd like to know why my response to Vile's slightly-less-than-forthright answers was deleted.

He knows the truth of my response and has never, that I'm aware of, hidden himself from it.
Ramon

Post by Ramon »

Recruited by ParrotPaul from the dying old OCRegister OCVarsity message board....
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
Back to Back CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions
~44~

Post by ~44~ »

Gooooooooooooooooman, you're back. Face it.
Hi
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Is that other board fixed yet? Do they need help?

To tell you the truth, I don't remember how I "got here." Something like the board we were using to talk about El Toro was giving us problems, so I said, "Hey kids! My dad has an old barn we can use! Let's start our own message board!" And about 10 years later it turned into this.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
slowyoroll

Post by slowyoroll »

What's your story?

I was looking for forums other than City-Data that had local discussion. I joined because I have the keyboard equivalent of a big mouth.

I'm not not sure I got here but I was a poster at the OCV board..I joined there strictly for the sports and came here strictly for the sports..during the off season things would get slow so I eventually started reading other threads...I couldn't believe some of the bs that was being posted ..especially on the political
boards so I had to jump in just to "check" people.. --:--
"IF YOU'RE NOT RICH, IF YOU DON'T HAVE A JOB DON'T BLAME WALL STREET BLAME YOURSELF!"

HERMAN CAIN

IDIOT
GOODave

Post by GOODave »

John Q. Public wrote:Is that other board fixed yet? Do they need help?
What a malevolent response from someone I used to respect. I guess the rules to keep it civil really don't apply to you, do they, John? However, to answer your question, yes, they just went back up this afternoon so I'll be heading over there.

As a reminder from my post above, though:
GOODave wrote:But I have other ways to keep up with them, now, so I really only keep bouncing back because the Administration wishes I wouldn't.
AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

slowyoroll wrote:
I'm not not sure I got here but I was a poster at the OCV board..I joined there strictly for the sports and came here strictly for the sports..during the off season things would get slow so I eventually started reading other threads...I couldn't believe some of the bs that was being posted ..especially on the political
boards so I had to jump in just to "check" people.. --:--
:ROFL:

You crack me up.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html
AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

GOODave wrote: What a malevolent response from someone I used to respect. I guess the rules to keep it civil really don't apply to you, do they, John? However, to answer your question, yes, they just went back up this afternoon so I'll be heading over there.

As a reminder from my post above, though:
What board are you posting on Dave?
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html