More Microsoft innovation

Geek spoken here
Post Reply
User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

More Microsoft innovation

Post by kramer »

(Nothing like having a free R&D company to steal ideas from)


[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]

Looks like they had a slight problem with scrolling and the computer at around 50s into the video...
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock
User avatar
Notorious
Posts: 11909
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:56 am

Re: More Microsoft innovation

Post by Notorious »

Please tell me you are trolling (if so kudos because this was a pretty good one).

If not, you need to brush up on history son.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch
User avatar
Ramon
Posts: 7090
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:53 am

Re: More Microsoft innovation

Post by Ramon »

Notorious wrote:Please tell me you are trolling (if so kudos because this was a pretty good one).

If not, you need to brush up on history son.
Although MS did introduce the Tablet way before Apple's iPad...The tablet was nothing more than a fancy touchscreen laptop that ran MS Windows Mobile...The iPad used the superior iOS & more importantly Apps...The Surface is nothing more than a Windows 8 Mobile phone on steroids...I was playing with the Windows 8 Beta a few days ago...Horrible
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
Back to Back CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions
User avatar
Notorious
Posts: 11909
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:56 am

Re: More Microsoft innovation

Post by Notorious »

Ramon wrote: Although MS did introduce the Tablet way before Apple's iPad...The tablet was nothing more than a fancy touchscreen laptop that ran MS Windows Mobile...The iPad used the superior iOS & more importantly Apps...The Surface is nothing more than a Windows 8 Mobile phone on steroids...I was playing with the Windows 8 Beta a few days ago...Horrible
And? Just because something is crap doesn't mean it didn't come first.

Apple has a great marketing team, and knows how to roll out reliable, user friendly devices. Saying that Microsoft is copying Apple is ridiculous. Apple isn't good at inventing things, they're good at taking good ideas, and presenting them in user friendly formats.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch
User avatar
Ramon
Posts: 7090
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:53 am

Re: More Microsoft innovation

Post by Ramon »

Notorious wrote: And? Just because something is crap doesn't mean it didn't come first.

Apple has a great marketing team, and knows how to roll out reliable, user friendly devices. Saying that Microsoft is copying Apple is ridiculous. Apple isn't good at inventing things, they're good at taking good ideas, and presenting them in user friendly formats.
Valid point...
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
Back to Back CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions
User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: More Microsoft innovation

Post by kramer »

Notorious wrote:Please tell me you are trolling (if so kudos because this was a pretty good one).

If not, you need to brush up on history son.
I'm not saying Apple came out with a touchscreen tablet first. I'm saying Microsoft copies and follows a lot of what Apple does. In essence, Apple is a free source of ideas for Microsoft.
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock
User avatar
Notorious
Posts: 11909
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:56 am

Re: More Microsoft innovation

Post by Notorious »

kramer wrote:
I'm not saying Apple came out with a touchscreen tablet first. I'm saying Microsoft copies and follows a lot of what Apple does. In essence, Apple is a free source of ideas for Microsoft.
Please explain how Microsoft copies apple but apple doesn't copy anyone.

They didn't invent the mp3 player, they didn't invent the tablet, they didn't invent the smartphone.

So it's okay for them to take ideas but not Microsoft?
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch
User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: More Microsoft innovation

Post by kramer »

Notorious wrote: Please explain how Microsoft copies apple but apple doesn't copy anyone.

They didn't invent the mp3 player, they didn't invent the tablet, they didn't invent the smartphone.

So it's okay for them to take ideas but not Microsoft?
"One of the things that people say an awful lot about the Apple Mac is that the OS is fantastic, that it’s very graphical and easy to use. What we’ve tried to do with Windows 7 – whether it’s traditional format or in a touch format – is create a Mac look and feel in terms of graphics."

-Simon Aldous, Microsoft partner group manager, Nov 11, '09

http://www.pcr-online.biz/features/328/ ... new-vision

Microsoft Copies Apple
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2 ... apple.aspx



Microsoft copies Apple. Again.
In recent years, Microsoft's strategy has slowly moved a little closer to Apple's in its desire for more control.
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2 ... ablet.aspx

And lets not forget the Zune and the Microsoft stores. There are other examples as well.
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock
User avatar
Notorious
Posts: 11909
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:56 am

Re: More Microsoft innovation

Post by Notorious »

Dude no offense but you are arguing terribly.

You don't acknowledge that apple routinely takes ideas and makes them their own, which isn't bad, but you can't just be dicks to Microsoft when they do the same thing.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch
User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: More Microsoft innovation

Post by kramer »

Notorious wrote:Dude no offense but you are arguing terribly.

You don't acknowledge that apple routinely takes ideas and makes them their own, which isn't bad, but you can't just be dicks to Microsoft when they do the same thing.
My point was that Microsoft copies Apple. As far as Apple copying others, I'm sure there's truth to this claim.

I don't think Apple has copied very much, if anything, from Microsoft. And I think of the two companies, Apple has been far far more innovative than Microsoft.
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock
User avatar
pattywannamack
Posts: 1571
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:31 pm

Re: More Microsoft innovation

Post by pattywannamack »

kramer wrote:
My point was that Microsoft copies Apple. As far as Apple copying others, I'm sure there's truth to this claim.

I don't think Apple has copied very much, if anything, from Microsoft. And I think of the two companies, Apple has been far far more innovative than Microsoft.
In the past 8 years or so Apple has appeared to be more innovative than Microsoft. But many of the core technologies that Apple uses (coding, licensing, etc.) were developed by Microsoft.

I would say that two are about equal in terms of innovation, Apple just really markets it better.
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.
User avatar
Parrotpaul
Posts: 33551
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:14 pm
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: More Microsoft innovation

Post by Parrotpaul »

Jobs had a gift for looking at Star Trekian gadgets and saying...why not...then building them?
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
mar595
Posts: 539
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:15 am

Re: More Microsoft innovation

Post by mar595 »

Windows was Microsoft competing with Apple. Apple sued and lost. The reason? Because Apple had stolen the idea from Xerox.
User avatar
Parrotpaul
Posts: 33551
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:14 pm
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: More Microsoft innovation

Post by Parrotpaul »

:yeahthat:
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
User avatar
tLIB
Posts: 3338
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:35 pm

Re: More Microsoft innovation

Post by tLIB »

kramer wrote: I'm not saying Apple came out with a touchscreen tablet first. I'm saying Microsoft copies and follows a lot of what Apple does. In essence, Apple is a free source of ideas for Microsoft.
Neither Apple nor Microsoft really invent much. The MP3 player was a great invention. Apple innovated it. The cell phone was great. Apple innovated it. Like someone mentioned before - Microsoft introduced a tablet back in the early 2000s, but IMO it was ahead of its time PLUS they didn't have the following Apple does. I think every marketer has to hand-it to Steve Jobs, the guy really did some great innovations and pulled Apple from the brink back in the 90s. Now they are the largest corporation in the world, even bigger than Exxon.
User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: More Microsoft innovation

Post by kramer »

tLIB wrote:Neither Apple nor Microsoft really invent much. The MP3 player was a great invention. Apple innovated it. The cell phone was great. Apple innovated it. Like someone mentioned before - Microsoft introduced a tablet back in the early 2000s, but IMO it was ahead of its time
Apple was way ahead of its time when they started selling the Newton in 1993.


tLIB wrote:Microsoft introduced a tablet back in the early 2000s, but IMO it was ahead of its time PLUS they didn't have the following Apple does.
Microsoft had a much bigger share of the market in the early 2000's than Apple did.



tLIB wrote: I think every marketer has to hand-it to Steve Jobs, the guy really did some great innovations and pulled Apple from the brink back in the 90s. Now they are the largest corporation in the world, even bigger than Exxon.
Still kicking myself for not buying stock in Apple when they re-hired Jobs back in the 1990s (I'm too damn conservative with money). At around this time, their stock was selling for about $3.50 a share. Today, it's around $600 a share and I think it's split 4 times since.
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock
User avatar
Notorious
Posts: 11909
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:56 am

Re: More Microsoft innovation

Post by Notorious »

kramer wrote: Apple was way ahead of its time when they started selling the Newton in 1993.




Microsoft had a much bigger share of the market in the early 2000's than Apple did.






Still kicking myself for not buying stock in Apple when they re-hired Jobs back in the 1990s (I'm too damn conservative with money). At around this time, their stock was selling for about $3.50 a share. Today, it's around $600 a share and I think it's split 4 times since.
The following of the Microsoft market is nowhere near as dedicated as Apple's is now. The tablet in the early 2000's was ahead of its time, even if Apple had introduced the ipad back then it would have failed, I think.

You're still wrong Kramer. Apple doesn't invent anything, so to say that Microsoft steals from them is ridiculous.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch
User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: More Microsoft innovation

Post by kramer »

Notorious wrote: The following of the Microsoft market is nowhere near as dedicated as Apple's is now.
But Microsoft still has a much much bigger marketshare which means there's still a lot of dedicated windows fans out there.

Notorious wrote: The tablet in the early 2000's was ahead of its time, even if Apple had introduced the ipad back then it would have failed, I think.
Apple failed with their Newton tablet back in 1993.
Notorious wrote: You're still wrong Kramer. Apple doesn't invent anything, so to say that Microsoft steals from them is ridiculous.
"One of the things that people say an awful lot about the Apple Mac is that the OS is fantastic, that it’s very graphical and easy to use. What we’ve tried to do with Windows 7 – whether it’s traditional format or in a touch format – is create a Mac look and feel in terms of graphics."

-Simon Aldous, Microsoft partner group manager, Nov 11, '09

http://www.pcr-online.biz/features/328/ ... new-vision
Microsoft Copies Apple
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2 ... AjUkY7Fm0s


[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock
User avatar
Notorious
Posts: 11909
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:56 am

Re: More Microsoft innovation

Post by Notorious »

kramer wrote: But Microsoft still has a much much bigger marketshare which means there's still a lot of dedicated windows fans out there.



Apple failed with their Newton tablet back in 1993.





Microsoft Copies Apple
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2 ... AjUkY7Fm0s


[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]
None of that refutes the fact that Apple does not invent anything.

Market share has little to do with the strength/commitment of a following and you don't seem to understand that.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch
User avatar
tLIB
Posts: 3338
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:35 pm

Re: More Microsoft innovation

Post by tLIB »

kramer wrote: Apple was way ahead of its time when they started selling the Newton in 1993.
Amazing.

This was even before Apple brought Jobs back. They were way ahead of their time on that one, and still had trouble in the marketplace. I heard that they were months from folding when Jobs returned.
In 1996, Apple announced that it would buy NeXT for $427 million. The deal was finalized in late 1996,[87] bringing Jobs back to the company he co-founded. Jobs became de facto chief after then-CEO Gil Amelio was ousted in July 1997. He was formally named interim chief executive in September.
Post Reply