Mac users might want to borrow a PC for online shopping

Geek spoken here
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Mac users might want to borrow a PC for online shopping

Post by John Q. Public »

Mac users paid more for their computers, so it stands to reason they'd be willing to pay $20 or $30 more for hotel rooms. Or so says Orbitz. Well, so "said" Orbitz. The cat's out of the bag now.

But don't be surprised if you see more of this. It's very simple to separate shoppers by OS or screen resolution. Stands to reason that people with bigger monitors would also be willing to pay more. And you don't even need an evil tracking cookie for either of those.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-574602 ... ys-orbitz/
Don't look at me, I just work here.
Parrotpaul

Re: Mac users might want to borrow a PC for online shopping

Post by Parrotpaul »

I love to buy on line...just picked up about $128 worth of Jim Little plumeria cuttings...presently being priority shipped from Oahu...be here tomorrow.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
SoMelo

Post by SoMelo »

I love buying online too, its a hell of a lot easier to do comparison shopping. I've set up a schedule so our dogs foods are delivered every 3 weeks. I think this year will mark the 12th or 13th year (maybe longer) I won't be stepping into a mall at Christmas, parking at my house is way easier :wink:
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Same here. I'm one of those people who uses Best Buy as a showroom, although I did buy my last camera from them (buy online, pick up at store). I still buy my pet food at WM when I'm there but I buy my Frontline and Heartguard online from Australia. Both are about half local retail. Even cheaper since I figured out that I could just buy the dog size of Frontline and divide one by 3 for the cats.

But still, those evil marketers will figure out how to take advantage of something I do.
tLIB

Post by tLIB »

I'm one of those people who uses Best Buy as a showroom
I usually want it NOW!!! :D

We buy a lot of stuff online too. When I do go into Best Buy, we usually buy.
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

I don't buy anything, I just internet window shop.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch
SoMelo

Post by SoMelo »

If you know what you want it is much easier to buy online(most business have even made returns easy). Several years ago I had shopped around for a large DLP TV. The best price around here was $2300. I bought it from an electronics store in upstate New York, total price (including shipping) was $1700. :cheers:
I think I've ordered from that place in Austrailia, but I got my last batch from Sam's Club, I think I paid under $30 for a 3 pack. It was Huck size (89 - 130lbs) and I split one of them between Auggie, Chip & Beavis.
tLIB

Post by tLIB »

The books I am interested in are not even sold at the book stores anymore. I have to go online. I was getting work done at Sears the other day and went into B&N. I couldn't find any books on the subjects I was interested in - but I did buy something from Starbucks.
kramer

Post by kramer »

John Q. Public wrote:Mac users paid more for their computers, so it stands to reason they'd be willing to pay $20 or $30 more for hotel rooms. Or so says Orbitz. Well, so "said" Orbitz. The cat's out of the bag now.

But don't be surprised if you see more of this. It's very simple to separate shoppers by OS or screen resolution. Stands to reason that people with bigger monitors would also be willing to pay more. And you don't even need an evil tracking cookie for either of those.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-574602 ... ys-orbitz/

I think if you enable the Develop menu in Safari, you can change your user agent to Windows Internet Exploder so that it fools Orbitz.
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock
18echo
Oversight Committee

Post by 18echo »

If you use linux, they will know that you are not willing to pay a dime for software and don''t want to spend much on other stuff.
"Hoc spatium adsuesco assuesco pro profunda rhetoricam."
SoMelo

Post by SoMelo »

So is that a good thing or they don't want to be bothered?
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

Presently waiting for a pair of 16 X Bushnell binoculars, case, and lens caps I copped on eBay for 14.99....includes shipping...be here tomorrow from NC. I love eBay...it is an instant annoyance solver....we have one of those toilet paper dispensers that is too close to the wall for the large rolls, and the bride found a little plastic gadget somwhere that solves the problem....I broke it. Rather than running out to wherever she bought the first one, I went to eBay...found a pair being offered at half the price the bride paid...delivered...same thing, and now we have a spare. It's the most incredible "goods" emprorium ever put together, and its impact on traditional retail must be staggering...eBay determines what price will be the bottom line price for practically anything in the world that is for sale. I purchased some Desert Rose seedlings from a guy in Lithuania.
Last edited by Parrotpaul on Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
SoMelo

Post by SoMelo »

Hi... My name is SoMelo and I'm an eBay and Amazonaholic
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

Jacquie Lawson Cards deftly handles all our holiday card sending needs. Pretty cheap too.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Parrotpaul wrote:It's the most incredible "goods" emprorium ever put together, and its impact on traditional retail must be staggering...eBay determines what price will be the bottom line price for practically anything in the world that is for sale.
You'd be surprised. I see people paying 10% over MSRP (and MSR's own website) every day. Some things you shop price; some you don't. I know what a tri-tip, a pound of zucchini and a pair of Dockers should cost but I have no idea on an area rug or a Barbie doll. And the stores know that.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

18echo wrote:If you use linux, they will know that you are not willing to pay a dime for software and don''t want to spend much on other stuff.
Or they'll give you the room next to the ice machine and figure you're such a dork that you won't know any better. :wink:
crayegg
Oversight Committee

Post by crayegg »

There are pros and cons to everything.
SoMelo

Post by SoMelo »

:yeahthat: or getting the room that backs up to the elevator
GOODave

Post by GOODave »

I can't remember the last time I bought anything other than groceries or gasoline at a local retail outlet.

With an iPad, an iMac, and a kindle, there's no reason to go to "the showroom." Even movie tickets are available online, now, to save me the time of standing in line.
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

tLIB wrote:The books I am interested in are not even sold at the book stores anymore. I have to go online. I was getting work done at Sears the other day and went into B&N. I couldn't find any books on the subjects I was interested in - but I did buy something from Starbucks.
I can't get my wife to put down her Kindle Fire....she loves it.