barstow wiz

and that's why i don't social network!

Post by barstow wiz »

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]
scary stuff!
[-X
:)
not4u13

Re: and that's why i don't social network!

Post by not4u13 »

When you watch this carefully you will note that Nick made a few crucial mistakes. First, he leaves his GPS on when he takes photos. I don't pay that much attention but if I know I am going to post a picture online I turn off my phone GPS first.

The second mistake Nick made was checking in. You can use your social networking apps and never check in. I only check in occasionally.

That said, if you are going to use social networking, you should know that what you post is not private. That is the whole point after all. To share where you are and what you are doing with your friends. If you layer on top of that the understanding that nothing you post on the Internet is private, or the corollary, that everything you post is available for public viewing, then none of this is a big surprise.

If you want to think about what else is scary, think about what people are doing with this information to market products and services to you, or to target you for phishing. It is super easy for someone to impersonate a "friend" and in turn get all kinds of otherwise private information from you and then use that to eventually steal your identity.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
barstow wiz

Post by barstow wiz »

not4u13 wrote:When you watch this carefully you will note that Nick made a few crucial mistakes. First, he leaves his GPS on when he takes photos. I don't pay that much attention but if I know I am going to post a picture online I turn off my phone GPS first.
first mistake. not turning off gps BEFORE TAKING photo!
:shock:
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

That's what I meant. Once the picture is taken with GPS on, it is stored with the photo.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

Why do I care about any of this?

I don't care if people know where I am or where I'm going to be or what I'm doing.

I doubt they do. If the purpose is to market products to me I'm all for it. I don't know why it has a negative stigma to it.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch
barstow wiz

Post by barstow wiz »

Notorious wrote:Why do I care about any of this?
don't know. :shrug:
why did you bother to post in the thread?
:eh?: