Windows 8

Geek spoken here
Troglodyte

Windows 8

Post by Troglodyte » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:14 pm

I just bought a new laptop. it came with windows 8. It's driving me nuts. I can't find the tool that turns off "feature" of opening a new tab by passing over it with the pointer. (Okay, I'm old fashioned and don't like using my finger instead of the mouse).
Another point. Your new ads go into an endless loop providing voice and music with no way of turning them off, or escaping, without exiting the board and starting over. I just have to get near them with the pointer. :puke:
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

Parrotpaul

Re: Windows 8

Post by Parrotpaul » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:34 pm

Go into "settings" you swipe it from the right side...once you get into settings, click "change PC settings." It's at the very bottom...from there go to "PC and Devices"....once that opens, go to "corners and edges." You can turn off the corner switches I think that's what you might want..
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:07 pm

Or you can look for something on Amazon or Best Buy's websites, among others. I did that a couple weeks ago and I'm seeing tons of ads for what I looked at. And they don't talk.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:38 pm

Some of the commands were removed from the Start button. After a quick Google search I found the commands to reinstall using shortcuts. I placed those shortcuts on the Taskbar.

Shutdown: shutdown.exe /s /t 0

Restart Computer: shutdown.exe -r -t 00

Lock Workstation: rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation

Hibernate Computer: rundll32.exe powrProf.dll,SetSuspendState

Sleep Computer: rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0

Lock: C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll, LockWorkStation
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:52 pm

I had a free update to Windows 8.1. I hated it. I went back to 8.0. I had owned the computer for only a few days, and I restored it to its store bought state. The update is still there if I want it, but I doubt I will.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:45 pm

I still haven't gotten around to going computer shopping so I don't know which one I hate more yet.

Oddly, I've gotten two XP updates since the drop dead day. :eh?:

Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:41 pm

Gotta watch those updates.. I clicked on one MS optional update on their regular update site and got a constant nag to improve my computer and fix 188 errors. I finally got sick of it and got onto their site and told them to remove it. They said OK, but the next thing I know my computer developed a loop that continuously accessed IE, caused an error and finally maxed out my HD. I had to buy this one to get back on line. I Emailed MS and complained. They said they'll get back to me in 24hours or less. That was 48hours ago.

cruiser

Post by cruiser » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:03 am

Well, windows 8.1, for me; is a mass improvement from 8.0, still who are the geniuses who thought up
the windows 8 process to begin with? How to screw up a good program in one easy lesson! I wish I had
purchased my new desktop with windows 7 - half of my friends that have 8, are going to downgrade to the 7,
I'm thinking of doing it also...........

kramer

Post by kramer » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:17 pm

apple

They just work.
Last edited by John Q. Public on Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spam link removed
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:52 pm

Windows 8 was made for a pad or smart phone.. Not for my lap top or desk top..
I had enough problems convincing Verizon I just wanted a phone to make phone calls, not text, take movies, watch TV, use as a GPS, or connect with Face Book.. Okay, so I am a luddite.. Wanna make something of it.. :slapfight:

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:57 pm

Once I found my way around Windows 8 I did the 8.1 upgrade. It's cool. I use the old desktop format...I'm not all that turned on to the apps. My computer needs are very basic at this point, and the Lenovo I bought last April fulfills them quite well. The thing I like most about it is the illuminated keyboard. I'm a laptop guy.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:16 pm

Apparently Windows 8 stunk so bad they're calling the next version "10" so it doesn't have to stand next to it.

Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:19 pm

This confirms my belief that Micro Soft does this on purpose so we have to buy the next evolution in hopes it will be better than the last.. Good thing they give out all those patches free, other wise we'd all be looking at a different system...

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:53 am

I believe most commercial products are like that. What business is satisfied to sit on one product without change for a very long time? Windows 8.1 is a far cry from what Windows was in 1992, but so is a Chevrolet different from the way it was in 1957. Many of us yearn for the past while dismissing the present as being not nearly as good as the old. Of course Microsoft will continue to update their bread and butter...the old stuff gets stale and loses its taste....doesn't do nearly the kind of work 8.1 does, but to get the most of what it is able to do requires a new learning curve. I probably use a fraction of my laptop's capability....but who wants to have the same damned computer year after year. :) I'm lucky...so far, I have noticed no need or desire to own a smart phone, but Apple, Samsung, and all the other phone companies have grand openings in the media and on Wall Street with great glee and anticipation, and lines of people waiting for hours...sometimes days to get the "new" edition of a smart phone always seem to exceed the lengths of those lines of people waiting to see JAWS when it first opened.

BTW....what kind and size of TV screen do you watch? Remember the quality of color TV when Bonanza was big and first broadcast in color? Have you checked out TV's lately? Remember pushing your Columbia balloon tire bicycle up hills? Have you ridden a "new" bicycle lately?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:58 am

:iknow: I have! It's much harder.

Oh. Wait. That's not the bicycle's fault. :must find "geezer" smilie:

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:03 am

shreader

Post by shreader » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:52 am

I personally like Windows 8.1 w/ Update 1.
It took a bit of getting use to the Start screen & the Charms bar, but I am use to them now.
It definitely is faster than Windows 7 starting up & shutting down.

I am anxious for Windows 10 which is about a month until its available as a upgrade MS is saying.
I have had enough of IE11, very anxious for the EDGE browser as my default, hopefully it doesn't have the IE11 problems like lock-ups.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:33 am

Lots of lock-ups.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:45 am

I think the start screen is an abomination and I got rid of it as soon as I could, although it still boots to it. :steam: The only good thing I can say about the Charms bar is that it at least has a clock that can be read. The one in the tray is worthless unless it's against a dark background, which isn't very often.

I got the icon for the upgrade, but like any MS update, I'll wait a few weeks before I install it. An annoying OS is better than a broken one. I'm curious about the new browser but I'll hold my opinion until I've seen it. As a webmaster, I dread any changes to any MS browser because they always require code changes for pages to work properly. MS just refuses to use the same code everybody else uses.