25%
I don't care one way or the other
50%

Total votes: 8

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Infinite scrolling - good or bad?

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:20 am

A lot of sites have gone to infinite scrolling, where there's no "next page" button and you just keep scrolling to get to older material. I just read something that said heat map studies showed that people prefer it. I can see where it might be handy in some situations, but I prefer pages that have a bottom - especially in the case of a forum. And especially if I'm on a PC. I'm curious how other people think.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Parrotpaul

Re: Infinite scrolling - good or bad?

Post by Parrotpaul » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:23 am

I'd probably prefer it for news media stuff. I'm kind of indifferent, but I get tired of clicking on any site.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:39 am

Pages, absolutely. Scrolling sucks if the list of selections is lengthy, at least on a computer, and the longer the scroll the more it sucks. When I want to skip from page 1 to page 99, I'd much rather do it with one mouse click than scroll for a minute. That's why humanity switched from scrolls to books 1,500 years ago.

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:51 am

Unless they have marks on the page that break it up into sections. If you know what you're looking for, it's much better. Ctrl+F is your friend.

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:54 am

And take the Benghazi thread for example. If you want to get to page 32 you're gonna have to click close to 10 times and wait for the page to load between every click.

18echo
Oversight Committee

Post by 18echo » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:40 pm

Especially with news sites, it seems like the advertising content is always designed to overwhelm actual bandwidth performance. It was like that in the pre-56k dial up days, and it's like that now with download speeds averaging 20-50mb/s
If I can scroll through a single news story without having to click for page two and wait for the excessive advert-bloat, I can get on board with that.
"Hoc spatium adsuesco assuesco pro profunda rhetoricam."

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:14 am

joefutbol wrote:And take the Benghazi thread for example. If you want to get to page 32 you're gonna have to click close to 10 times and wait for the page to load between every click.
You can take a shot at it by manually changing the "&start=xxx" in the URL. I have to do that regularly with the members list when people have login problems and all I have to go on is their email address.

Any idea if Ctrl+f works on those pages? The pages load as you scroll, so I don't know if it would.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:36 am

18echo wrote:Especially with news sites, it seems like the advertising content is always designed to overwhelm actual bandwidth performance. It was like that in the pre-56k dial up days, and it's like that now with download speeds averaging 20-50mb/s
If I can scroll through a single news story without having to click for page two and wait for the excessive advert-bloat, I can get on board with that.
Wouldn't that be nice? Except the sites that do that do it on purpose. And if they have excessive ads on the opening page, they'd have just as many on what you'd scroll to. I saw one of those a few days ago I could barely find the content on. I wasn't about to click "next".

The reason I asked is because I'm seeing it start to appear in forum software. Discourse uses it and it seems to have its fans. And there's a brand new one called Codoforum that I'd even consider switching to, once it's completely done. They're saying they might make endless scrolling either an admin or user option.

What I especially like about Codoforum is the basic layout and the way it shows topic previews. It also starts on the Active Topics page, avoiding the board index, which I think is a completely useless page. I wish there was a way of doing that with phpBB without completely rewriting half of the code.

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:36 am

John Q. Public wrote:
I think the number at the end of the URL is the post number. Aren't there 20 posts per page? Just multiply the page number you want to get to by 20 and that would work, I guess.

I'm pretty sure Ctrl+F does not work on infinite scrolling pages.

18echo
Oversight Committee

Post by 18echo » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:40 am

John Q. Public wrote:They're saying they might make endless scrolling either an admin or user option.
That's even better. Let the reader decide, or even switch back and forth, as they go.
What I especially like about Codoforum is the basic layout and the way it shows topic previews. It also starts on the Active Topics page, avoiding the board index, which I think is a completely useless page. I wish there was a way of doing that with phpBB without completely rewriting half of the code.
I'm with you there, my bookmark for this forum is the active topics:
http://www.occonnect.com/community/sear ... ive_topics
"Hoc spatium adsuesco assuesco pro profunda rhetoricam."