Has anybody upgraded to Windows 10 yet?

Geek spoken here
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Has anybody upgraded to Windows 10 yet?

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:00 pm

I downloaded it today but come to find out that my 1 TB USB drive seems to be corrupted (yes, the one with all of my backups and important files), so I don't have an easy way of backing everything up. So I'm sort of sitting on installing it.

If you've done it, did you have any trouble? Did you lose anything? I hear it doesn't like Firefox, so I guess my passwords and bookmarks should be backed up. Anything else?

Apparently people are doing the upgrade in record numbers. Sounds like 8 was even more hated than Vista.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Parrotpaul

Re: Has anybody upgraded to Windows 10 yet?

Post by Parrotpaul » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:27 pm

I downloaded it from a Microsoft site. It took about four hours before I was all good to go, but there were stretches when I was doing other stuff, so maybe three hours would be more accurate.

I don't believe I lost anything....I turned off the Wi-Fi Share Sense app, and I still use Explorer as my default browser...when I get some time to explore the Edge browser, I'll see what that has to offer. I guess I like it. It hasn't screwed up much and there are lots of cool improvements over 8.1...the day/time/date thing that swooped in every time I breathed on the keyboard is gone, and I like the start page.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

not4u13

Post by not4u13 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:58 am

My cousin had trouble with it and removed it. There is also a setting as you install that will implement a keylogger and some other dasterdly things, but that has to do with Cortana support. My son installed it on his Sony Vaio laptop, just a couple years old. Didn't boot, even in safe mode.

I am only using a work laptop and mobile devices these days so I don't have anything to try it on.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:04 am

My computer... Lenovo...definitely runs better with W-10. W-8.1 locked up on me a whole lot. I guess I was lucky, because the more I use the new update, the more I like it.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:10 am

I've had no problems with the update.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:23 am

A major reason I don't use the Edge browser is password recognition. I use Norton anti-virus, and I like the "identity safe" password remembering system, and Edge doesn't yet recognize the Norton extensions. In addition, I'm a creature of habit with computers. I like to stick with what works for me... Explorer has problems getting into certain inner links on news sites and such... Chrome doesn't have that problem...I use both, but with W-10 I had to re-establish all my passwords in Chrome...not really a flaw...just time consuming. Chrome seems to load more slowly with W-10.

That said, a computer savvy friend suggested I ditch Norton as the anti-viruses programs and firewalls in Windows 10 are more than adequate... I have no idea whether that is true or not... thoughts on the Norton suggestion? Are after-market anti-virus programs a thing of the past or no?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:47 am

Well that's helpful. One "No problem!" and one "NO! DON'T DO IT! RUN!"

I have a couple old hard drives laying around. I guess I'll turn one of them into a backup - and see if I can make a boot disk of some kind. I don't remember the computer coming with anything like that. Even Microsoft's little updates scare me sometimes. Updating the whole OS really does, even though I really want to ditch 8.1.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:54 am

Norton came with this computer but I uninstalled it and installed Avast. Norton wanted too much control and wouldn't let me do things I knew were perfectly safe. That got old real quick.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:03 am

Here's where I downloaded W 10. I didn't bother to back up anything. Everything I need is on another computer. I clicked the button and really didn't have to do much more but wait.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:26 am

I just used the prompt that came up automatically. Which I wasn't all that comfortable with after all these years of saying "don't download anything you didn't initiate, especially if the prompt doesn't look familiar."

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:43 pm

Is the kind of stuff of which you speak, JQP?

Symantec logo

Suspicious Web Page Blocked

You attempted to access:
http://www.occonnect.com/community/view ... 64#p515064

For your protection, this web page has been blocked and submitted for review. Visit Symantec to learn more about phishing and internet security.

It is recommended that you do NOT visit this page, however if you know that this web page is safe, you may choose to visit this web page anyway.

Exit this site

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:51 pm

No, I'm talking about file/computer management kind of things that Norton kept getting in the way of, like asking me if I was sure, like, really, really sure I wanted to do things that I wouldn't have been doing if I wasn't, like, really, really sure I wanted to do them. Irritating.

The warning you got brings up a two-pointed complaint:
  1. You either got it or you at least have the vulnerability because you have Flash turned on. Not sure if Norton would give the warning or not if it was off, but you at least wouldn't have the vulnerability.
  2. The warning blames the page (i.e. the site) rather than the real source of the threat. If it can identify and block the threat it can identify the URL of its true source rather than defaming the site, which is actually a victim of the threat and not its source.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:04 am

Flash is turned off. The notice was apparently an anomaly. That was the only time it has happened... and it happened after I installed W10, and Microsoft alerts users that Norton and W10 have some compatibility problems. I don't get much grief from Norton, but if I really don't need it I definitely will not renew.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:54 am

My Lenovo is much more stable with W10. 8.1 was a frantic annoying platform...I really am liking W10.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:58 am

Parrotpaul wrote:Flash is turned off. The notice was apparently an anomaly.
Aha! Apparently your browser downloads the dodgy ad, it just doesn't run it when Flash is off. I wasn't sure on that. So AV software gives you an alert, which is good, but then it misplaces the blame. I'm still not happy with that. All sites except the sleaziest ones do all they can to ensure their visitors' - and their own - safety, so it's pretty annoying that AV programs blame us rather than the real source. What's worse is that the URL for the negligent provider is right there on the page but they choose to blame ("smear", really) the site, which is almost always going to be the innocent victim of somebody else's negligence. I wouldn't be surprised to see a law suit on that sometime.

shreader

Post by shreader » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:08 pm

I updated both test rigs, 1 partition each, left the rest w/ Win7 & 8.1 until I am sure I want to go ahead w/ the rest.
I also Updated the Main rig, 1 partition there also.
All 3 updates were the Pro SKU, x64 & auto activated.
On 1 of the test rigs I backed-it-up & restored Win10 to a blank partition, it was activated automatically. Next I did a "clean" install which formatted that partition & I installed Win10 x86 this time, for testing purposes, it was auto activated also, which was nice.
SOOo I wanted to test a 16-bit application & it installed & runs fine after allowing setting up Windows compatibility settings (WinXP SP3) Win10 updated (asked & I said ok) to install the "NTVDM" feature. Totally stoked that Win10 x86 is still compatible w/ (this) 16-bit app. as I have 18 years of Journal entries saved on it.

I have noticed several threads on the internet w/ people nervous about their privacy & MS collecting their anonymous data. There is a long one @ My Digital Life/ Windows 10 forum called "[PLEASE READ] Microsoft and Privacy". Not sure if its a bunch of "nut jobs" though.

shreader

Post by shreader » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:17 am

This is from ZDNet this AM:
Microsoft quietly rewrites its activation rules for Windows 10
>snip<
For those who are anxious to do a clean install, here's the trick:

Don't do the online upgrade.

Instead, from your current, activated copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, download the Windows 10 ISO file for the corresponding edition (Home or Pro), or create a bootable USB flash drive. Without exiting your current Windows version, double-click the ISO to mount it as a virtual DVD (or open the USB flash drive with installation media) and then double-click Setup.

Your goal is to get to the screen with this full range of options:
http://zdnet4.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/20 ... nstall.jpg

Choose the option I've highlighted at the bottom: the one that says you want to keep nothing. The Windows 10 Setup program installs a clean copy of the edition that corresponds to the one you have installed. As part of the process, it verifies the activation status of your old Windows, creates the new license certificate, and blows away your previous install. And you never had to enter a product key.

Source:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft- ... TRE17cfd61

*Note: I haven't tried this so if you try it, please post your results.
Seems like it should work though.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:23 am

I did the upgrade. I don't care for the Edge browser. Other than that I have had no problems.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:25 am

I did the upgrade. I don't care for the Edge browser. Other than that I have had no problems.

Same here... I still use Explorer and Chrome.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:59 am

I use Firefox. I can't navigate in Chrome when it is in full screen mode. I would use it if I could.