Has anybody upgraded to Windows 10 yet?

Geek spoken here
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Has anybody upgraded to Windows 10 yet?

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:22 am

I still haven't gotten around to upgrading. Does the site look any different with Edge? Does anything not work?
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:32 am

Not much... Edge looks like an apps page...which is what Edge is...most everything else looks the same to me, but I don't get much beyond surfing, paying bills, and posting. I didn't save anything prior to downloading from the above site. Aside from becoming familiar with a new version of Windows... not much changed... except my computer doesn't lock up as much as it did with 8.1.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

ocfootballfan

Post by ocfootballfan » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:33 am

I've had a problem with my screen going to sleep and having to re-boot to wake it up. My step son has been working on it and he's very computer savvy.,,..I'm not a fan of Edge either

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:10 am

I have a feeling MS is going to have to re-think their strategy on Edge. IE users have had plenty of opportunities to change to something else, but they don't want to. MS doesn't seem to get that. Probably better to introduce it as an "enhanced" version of IE and then roll out the big changes gradually.

I'd think they'd have learned that lesson from the complaints about Windows 8. Especially the ones from the people who tried to run one of those ridiculous welcome screen apps on a non-mobile device. :shock: :?? :?? :shock:
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:45 am

I've had a problem with my screen going to sleep and having to re-boot to wake it up. My step son has been working on it and he's very computer savvy.,,..I'm not a fan of Edge either

That happens to me every so often as well... reboot sometimes has to figure itself out... but it gets there... so far. Let me clarify...I didn't bother to save anything as advised, but neither did I lose anything.

If stepson finds a fix...let us know, please. :cheers:
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

shreader

Post by shreader » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:57 pm

Summary:
I did an in-place upgrade on my Windows 7 x86 Main to Windows 10 Th2 as the Win7 Main OS was slowing down after several years since the last clean install.

Going this route I really didn't have to do anything. Click, click, install and it was up and running & the applications, data and settings were carried over through the migration, even the 16-bit app is working.

Now I have Windows 10 as a Main OS on my Main Rig & am totally stoked it was so easy.