Internet of (Strange) Things

Geek spoken here
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Internet of (Strange) Things

Post by John Q. Public » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:13 pm

From a slideshow I saw this morning:
  1. Vessyl - a 13 oz. cup you connect to with an app that analyzes what you put in it. Nags you about calories and caffeine or maybe if your protein drink is actually helping or not. Only $149.
  2. Hapifork - a "smart" fork that nags you not to shovel your food down so fast.
  3. Kolibree - a toothbrush that nags you about how often and how well you're brushing your teeth. Also comes with great oral hygiene-related games you can play on your iOS or Android device!
  4. Emiota Belty - a self-adjusting belt that keeps tabs on your waistline and "nudges" you if you've been sitting too long.
  5. Lixil Satis - From Japan (where else?), a $4,000 bluetooth toilet (with bidet) that you can flush or auto-clean remotely. Great fun for little brothers everywhere!
  6. Davek Alert Umbrella - lets you know when you've forgotten it. Only 80 bucks. --:--
  7. BlueMaestro Pacif-i Smart Pacifier - alerts you if the kid drops it. Also monitors and records little Junior's temperature.
  8. Wearable Experiments (We:Ex) Alert Shirt - perfect gift for the sports fan in your life! Connects somehow to the game you're watching and vibrates to "let you feel what the player feels." No idea how it decides whether you're the taclker or the tackl-ee, and also no idea what it does if said tacl-ee gets his clock cleaned.
Boy! Isn't life in the future marvelous!
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Troglodyte

Re: Internet of (Strange) Things

Post by Troglodyte » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:43 pm

All about as useful as those warning labels on everything now days.. :thumbsdown:
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Post by crayegg » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:37 pm

I still want my Jetsons flying car.

not4u13

Post by not4u13 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:55 am

The electronic diaper really got me. It apparently will tell you whether it is number one or number two. It will look for certain chemicals in the urine that signify a health issue or diet defficiey as well as let you track how often and even when baby does its thing.

Anyone who has had a child knows how many diaper changes happen in a day. Can you imagine?
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:34 am

Anyone who has had a child knows how many diaper changes happen in a day. Can you imagine?

No. :mrgreen:
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:07 am

I could use a smart lawn mower but I'd have to buy all the accessories to go with it - smart garage door opener, smart car mover, smart weed whacker, smart pooper scooper, and of course a smart beer opener because I'd be so hot and exhausted from working all those apps. :whew:
Don't look at me, I just work here.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:36 am

not4u13 wrote:The electronic diaper really got me. It apparently will tell you whether it is number one or number two.
I think technology is great, but anybody with a nose doesn't need a magic diaper to tell them if junior's gone number one or number two.

not4u13

Post by not4u13 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:56 am

I think some of these things are being dreamed up in hopes of gaining support from a venture capitalist. A good idea can draw in some nice cash. Put it up on kickstarter and someone will bite. Bad ideas get funded all time.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:09 am

And just think.. The US patent office seriously considered closing in 1899 because they thought there was nothing left to invent... :lol:
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..