Wireless Audio - Bose SoundTouch

Geek spoken here
not4u13

Wireless Audio - Bose SoundTouch

Post by not4u13 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:59 am

I picked up a Bose SoundTouch system yesterday. I'm impressed. I was surprised how expensive it was, but it really does work nicely. It did everything we could ask for and then included a couple of nice surprises.

Set up was super easy. I had my wife do all the setup from her iPad. She followed the directions as I unboxed the speakers and got them plugged in.

One of the things my wife loves to do is listen to Mark in the Morning on 100.3 The Sound. Until now, she has listened using her phone connecting to their web site. The station is not on iHeat Radio but uses their own web streaming. With the Bose system, she connects to the site and starts the audio streaming but then connects via Bluetooth to the Bose system to stream the audio to the speaker. Then, using the Bose app, you can group the other speakers in your system and replicate what you are sending via Bluetooth to any other Bose SoundTouch speaker in the house.

There are several other systems out there, including the first to market Sonos, but none of them have the combination of great sound and full feature set that we found with the Bose SoundTouch. One of the other cool things that only the Bose system has is the ability to set presets. I have a SuperTramp Pandora station that I really like. I have that set to a preset. I just push the preset on any SoundTouch device in the house and it starts playing that station. No app on the phone needed. Super cool.

The system supports Spotify, iHeart Radio, Pandora, SiriusXM and Deezer for music services. I'm not sure what Deezer is, but it looks interesting. It also has a host of Internet streaming stations available from across the globe, including a number of US radio stations both AM and FM.

One other thing the Bose has is the ability to plug into an aux port to play your music from a device that doesn't have Bluetooth capability, like an iPod.

Something I've got to figure out is how to connect the system to a computer so I can have access to the entire iTunes music library we have. It is a function available, but I have to set it up and I'm not sure how to do that.

I highly recommend this system. I've only had it a day and I'm kicking myself that I waited so long to bite the bullet and spend the money.

Best Buy

Amazon
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Wireless Audio - Bose SoundTouch

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:53 am

If your computer has bluetooth I'd think it wouldn't be too complicated to set up. Or maybe it would. I set mine up to download pictures from my phone but it seems to forget pretty regularly. One danger, though, is that it might make whatever you're watching on your computer much louder. I'm running my computer's sound through an older stereo my renters left behind. It sounds really good but the Foreign Babe is always yelling at me to turn it down. The sound carries more with the bigger speakers.

The features of the Soundtouch sound really neat but I have a quandary with anything like that that I've acquired. I have a set of ancient 12" Rectilinear III speakers that I got when I was in the service and I'm spoiled. Nothing I've gotten in the last 40 years has compared to their sound, so anything we really want good sound from we find ourselves running through the stereo in the living room. Some wireless satellites would be really nice though. The features sound really appealing. Maybe it's time for me to get with this "future" thing and start saving my pennies. And find a way to hook the Rectilinears up to it. :rockon:

Disclaimer: I added (commission) links to not4u's post.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

not4u13

Re: Wireless Audio - Bose SoundTouch

Post by not4u13 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:45 pm

I've installed a series 30 in the main room and a 20 in our bedroom and another room then two 10s. One in the workout room and one in the study. Adds up really fast but we had this in our move budget. Just hadn't decided which system.

The system supports airplay and you can load the soundtouch software on Mac or pc. It will read and play the music off the computer and broadcast it to the speakers over WiFi. Must be on same network. Just haven't done the work yet.

As for your killer speakers. Check.out the 120 series. It will set you back $1k but it looks like it has speaker connectors on the control unit. That unit essentially works like a home theater system and includes a small soundbar and sub.

The nice thing about speakers all over the house is you can keep the volume reasonable and still hear well.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com