Win10 annoyance

Geek spoken here
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Win10 annoyance

Post by John Q. Public » Tue May 31, 2016 12:41 pm

I've been working on the site for a few weeks, off and on, and I've been keeping a File Explorer window open almost continuously. I rarely maximize it and I've left it just the way it opens. But, over the course of a couple days or so, it shrinks from covering maybe a quarter of my screen to a box that's maybe 3" square with only 4 files partially visible. I don't know if it does that with other applications but it's irritating in a sort of amusing kind of way. Has anybody else seen that? Can anyone think of a reason why it would do that?
Don't look at me, I just work here.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Win10 annoyance

Post by John Q. Public » Tue May 31, 2016 7:58 pm

Update on the Incredible Shrinking Window - It's now down to just the width of the buttons at the top. No change in the height. It was square this morning. It was probably the size of this post yesterday. Very strange.
shrinking window.jpg
shrinking window.jpg (10.42 KiB) Viewed 1435 times

Hanna

Post by Hanna » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:57 am

You can always switch to Mac.

Got an idea from a host who is also a lawyer. We were there when he got a call from India about his "Windows." He played along and finally asked: can you tell me how I can find Windows on my Apple computer? And this was it. So, of course, I followed the same route when I got the next call. Silence. I repeated the question, still silence, and than I hung up. This is usually what I do immediately, though..

--:--

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Post by crayegg » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:29 am

Speaking of Win 10 annoyance, the Mrs. installed it on her computer and has hated it ever since. I have resolutely refused to upgrade to 10, despite all the annoying prompts to do so.

I also read a story the other day that said that Microsoft was pulling a fast one, in that when you click the red X in the right corner of the pop-up to install Win 10, it starts installing the software instead of closing the dialog box like all the other right-corner X's. I have not confirmed this, but now when that window pops up, I right click and chose "close" instead of the right-corner X.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:37 am

A friend told me her laptop auto-upgraded, like it or not, yesterday.

shreader

Post by shreader » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:52 am

The free upgrade is over now so the MS W10 popups should be gone.

NTS if one installed these WU updates that is what caused your problems, I just unchecked & hid them when they appeared.
KB3035583
+W8.1 - KB2976978 & later KB3123862 also
+W7 SP1 - KB2952664 & later KB3123862 also

Those w/ W10 installed they now have to worry about the W10 Anniversary update which was released 8/2/2016 though many people didn't get it in their WU installs It's KB3176929 & MS has been patching it since then.

Me, I'm totally happy w/ the W10 PRO I have installed on the main rig on 2 partitions, 1 - x64 & 1 - x86
On the test rig2 I also have 2 copies installed on 2 partitions there & 1 copy on the test rig1 all seem to be working fine afaict though the test rigs don't get much use.

On the Samsung tablet I also had to install W10 PRO as the W7 SP1 that it came with had a broken boot manager then WU broke too that I couldn't fix :(
W10 runs good on that also, even the touch screen works w/ the drivers that MS included w/ the W10 update.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:10 pm

So you opened File Explorer, didn't maximize or use it, and now you noticed it's shrinking? Jesus, John, you're old enough to know that lots of things shrink if you don't maximize and use them regularly.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:09 pm

:-k Hmmmmm.

And where in the hell is Help now, anyway? I'm trying to figure out if I got the update when I wasn't looking or something and they've made it so "simple" I can't figure out where to look. :steam:

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:33 pm

My update history says my last update was in July, so apparently I haven't gotten it yet. Which is fine with me. I've always preferred to wait a month or two on their updates, anyway. And then I get the update and look at all the kewl new features and ask myself why I'd want any of them. They always seem to be things I have no use for.

shreader

Post by shreader » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:35 am

John, in the windows "search" box type in "winver" w/o the quotes to run About Windows.
A box will popup & tell you what version you have installed.
If it says v.1511 or 1607 you have W10 installed
v.9600 - W8.1 installed
v.9200 - W8 installed
v.7601 - W7 installed

hth

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:16 am

Thank you. I'll probably forget that by the time I need to use it again, but thank you. :lol:

Another irritation: Now I can't figure out where the setting for screen resolution is. I just wanted to check it a few days ago and damned if I could find it.

I just got the update a couple days ago - not at a time that was convenient, but I got it. My computer seemed a little sluggish so I decided I should reboot. I hit the start button and it said "Install updates and restart," so I sez "Okfine. I can spare a couple extra minutes." No. The computer was down for an hour. I wish it had told me that.

The first thing I noticed when it came back was that they'd colored in the tops of windows and made the borders just a little more visible. Not as much as I'd like but I guess it's an improvement. But there's still hardly any contrast on the "minimize" "restore" and "close" buttons. My eyes don't see things like that well. I'm supposed to get surgery on one of them in a couple months so maybe that will improve, but it would be nice if the people who design these things would take us old folks into consideration when they come up with their kewl new designs.*

Another little irritation is the way they call everything an "app." I've always called software apps but now that the word has a different meaning I find that annoying. And then there's the way they keep trying to flog Windows phones with their "apps." Hopefully they'll throw in the towel on that sometime, but in the meantime, it's annoying to use "apps" that are made for phones on a desktop. My monitor doesn't have a Home button. :steam:

* I hope this site's design isn't too contrasty for people. I picked the text size and color with at least this old person in mind. I'd prefer a thicker font, personally, but I don't want to go completely "hi-viz" on everybody. ("geezer" smiley here)

shreader

Post by shreader » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:47 am

On the resolution settings, they are hard to find alright.

1 way you can access them is type in "resolution" in the search box & choose what comes up at the top.
In W10 there are a ton of privacy settings one can turn off in the settings/ privacy menu & buttons.
Also if you want to dump W10 one can restore their previous Windows version, I never tested how it works though.

If one decides to keep W10 & not return to their previous Windows version I'd suggest using Disk cleanup> system cleanup after the first scan to recover 15-20 GB of space depending what one wants to delete/remove (in check boxes). After running that one will find their OS boots faster & AV will have less files to scan.
If one checks their "C" drive & see a windows.old folder there, that's HUGE & will save a lot of space removing using disk cleanup.
Win10 14926 .rs2_ 2b DiskCleanup_ 1.jpg
Win10 14926 .rs2_ 2b DiskCleanup_ 1.jpg (67.64 KiB) Viewed 1098 times

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:05 am

Another thing I've been meaning to do. Lots of useless files and lots of useless "apps" sucking up memory.
Also if you want to dump W10 one can restore their previous Windows version, I never tested how it works though.
YEESH! That would be 8. :shock: I'll pass, thanks.