Post by John Q. Public » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:56 pm

"For what?"

"Yahoo."

"What's that?"

"A search engine."

"Like Google?"

"Yeah, kinda, but not as good. And they do email and news, too."

"Like Google?"

"Yeah, kinda. Except they have an actual news staff that writes their own stories."

"Oh. Like Huffington Post."

"Well, yeah. Kinda. But not as good."

"So that's it? No Play Store, maps, cars, phones, operating systems, advertising, video sites, shopping?"

"No. Not really."

"Well, I guess it's hard for startups to gain much of a foothold on the internet, these days."

"Yeah. I guess."
Don't look at me, I just work here.

not4u13

Re: And the winning bidder is... Verizon!

Post by not4u13 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:38 am

Nice. Funny. I'm not sure Verizon "won" anything there but a boat anchor or a ball & chain. They must have some technology or patents that are valuable because as a business, there isn't anything there.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:22 am

Marissa Mayer’s work at Yahoo! Inc. -- or what’s left of it -- is far from over.

Moments after announcing plans to sell Yahoo’s core assets to Verizon for $4.83 billion, she sent a note telling employees she’s not going anywhere for the time being.

“I plan to stay, I love Yahoo,’’ Mayer reiterated on a call with analysts and investors. “For the immediate future, I have two priorities: obviously, seeing the transaction through to closing and protecting the value in our equity stakes.’’

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... t-of-yahoo
I guess she figures there's still boats to miss.

Hey, but at least Yahoo makes me feel better. This site's only missed a couple. Yahoo's missed every one that's sailed in the last 20 years.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:50 pm

I would say Yahoo's streaming capabilities are excellent. Their stream last year of their game between Jacksonvile and Buffalo was the best internet stream I've ever had as far as the total package goes. I know the NFL is looking to move to streaming as their main platform when the current contract runs out in 2022 with cable cutting seeming to be the way of the future. I think that's where Verizon should focus on trying to gather the resources to outbid every other person vying for the Golden Goose.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch