Thanks Microsoft

Geek spoken here
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Thanks Microsoft

Postby John Q. Public » Sun May 20, 2018 12:29 pm

Your update broke my computer. Looking at a screen that says "This is taking longer than expected" for the last half hour. Grrrrr.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Thanks Microsoft

Postby John Q. Public » Sun May 20, 2018 7:32 pm

I hereby declare my computer to be a brick. So I took it as a cue to finally upgrade to a modern computer and I'll be installing and transferring and configuring for a couple days. Bear with me.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Sun May 20, 2018 8:26 pm

Maybe if you had done some periodic cleaning it wouldn't have come to this...

World's Oldest Computer Is Really Old

The Antikythera Mechanism, sometimes called the "world's oldest computer," is even older than previously thought, according to researchers.

The remarkable astronomical mechanism was discovered in 1901 amongst the wreckage of a Greek ship believed to have sunk sometime between 85 B.C. and 60 B.C., near the island of Antikythera between Crete and Greece.

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2472919,00.asp
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

shreader

Postby shreader » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:45 pm

I used WU to update 3 of my (partitions) Win10 installs (on the test rig) to the April (v1803) update & 2/3 were good, 1 failed miserably & luckily I dual boot so I could rescue my data & folders from the broken update. I did have to do a clean install of Win10 (I had a DVD copy of v1803) & w/ the digital key embedded the OS once installed was activated.
It was a PITA to go through this, so I will not be updating the Main Rig to v1803 until I am confident I can get a good update install.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:56 pm

I'm surprised there hasn't been a class action suit on their forced updates. It just ain't right that they should be able to break people's computers and not be responsible for it.

shreader

Postby shreader » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:58 am

On my Windows 10 Pro OS's I have in Update & Security/Windows Update/Advanced Options - 1/2 way down @ the page there is a Feature Update I set mine at 90 Days, it does go higher.
Just incase others here don't want this new W10 version to automatically install on their rig.

The Home editions don't have this choice... sorry.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:01 am

I always used to give their updates a month or two of public release before I'd install them but they've taken away that option with the Home version. They claim they can do it because it's freeware but I can't agree when they have the potential to destroy somebody's $1,000 piece of equipment and they don't have an alternative that's especially "affordable". And when you buy a new box you're buying its software, so it isn't exactly freeware anymore. And at least giving people the option of delaying the installation could hardly be called unreasonable. :steam:

But hey! My speakers sound GREAT with the new computer. I don't know if it's software or the sound card, but the difference is like night and day. I run my sound through an old Denon receiver and 3-way, 10" speakers and boy does it sound good now! Major overkill for email notifications and cat videos, but that part of the system is finally doing what it's supposed to do. :rockon:

RedPillWonderland

Postby RedPillWonderland » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:06 am

If there hasn't been a class action on the ridiculous iPhone updates, I doubt there will be one against Microsoft.

Return to “Computers and the Internet”