New Virus on the way

Geek spoken here
Post Reply
Red
Posts: 17717
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:33 pm

New Virus on the way

Post by Red » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:17 pm

I hope I am not being an alarmist. I recieved this from a friend and wanted to share this with everyone.

Hi All,

I checked with Norton Anti-Virus, and they are gearing up for this virus!

I checked Snopes (URL above:), and it is for real!!

Get this E-mail message sent around to your contacts ASAP.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS WARNING AMONG FRIENDS, FAMILY AND CONTACTS!

You should be alert during the next few days. Do not open any message with an attachment entitled 'POSTCARD FROM HALLMARK ,' regardless of who sent it to you. It is a virus which opens A POSTCARD IMAGE, which 'burns' the whole hard disc C of your computer.

This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her contact list. This is the reason why you need to send this e-mail to all your contacts It is better to receive
this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it.
If you receive a mail called' POSTCARD,' even though sent to you by a friend, do not open it! Shut down your computer immediately .

This is the worst virus announced by CNN. It has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever. This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital information is kept.

COPY THIS E-MAIL, AND SEND IT TO YOUR FRIENDS. REMEMBER: IF YOU SEND IT

TO THEM, YOU WILL BENEFIT ALL OF US

User avatar
SOCTE
Posts: 4033
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:32 pm

Re: New Virus on the way

Post by SOCTE » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:21 pm

Is this the Pelosi, Obama or Biden bug? Or a combination of all three?
Image

User avatar
SoMelo
Posts: 12322
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: New Virus on the way

Post by SoMelo » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:22 pm

Red wrote:I hope I am not being an alarmist. I recieved this from a friend and wanted to share this with everyone.

Hi All,

I checked with Norton Anti-Virus, and they are gearing up for this virus!

I checked Snopes (URL above:), and it is for real!!

Get this E-mail message sent around to your contacts ASAP.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS WARNING AMONG FRIENDS, FAMILY AND CONTACTS!

You should be alert during the next few days. Do not open any message with an attachment entitled 'POSTCARD FROM HALLMARK ,' regardless of who sent it to you. It is a virus which opens A POSTCARD IMAGE, which 'burns' the whole hard disc C of your computer.

This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her contact list. This is the reason why you need to send this e-mail to all your contacts It is better to receive
this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it.
If you receive a mail called' POSTCARD,' even though sent to you by a friend, do not open it! Shut down your computer immediately .

This is the worst virus announced by CNN. It has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever. This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital information is kept.

COPY THIS E-MAIL, AND SEND IT TO YOUR FRIENDS. REMEMBER: IF YOU SEND IT

TO THEM, YOU WILL BENEFIT ALL OF US
This is a real bad virus, it went through our office and about 100 people opened it before our IT department could get to it. There is another one about Coca Cola just as evil

User avatar
tLIB
Posts: 3338
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:35 pm

Re: New Virus on the way

Post by tLIB » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:22 pm

Postcards? Hey has anyone got emails from the IRS?

User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: New Virus on the way

Post by GOODave » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:40 pm

Snopes says it's a mixture of truth and fiction.
...although the postcard virus is real, it isn't a "BIG VIRUS COMING" (it's already been around in multiple forms for a long time now), it will not "burn the whole hard disc" of your computer, CNN didn't classify it as the "worst virus ever, and it doesn't arrive in messages bearing a subject line of "invitation."

User avatar
tLIB
Posts: 3338
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:35 pm

Re: New Virus on the way

Post by tLIB » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:51 pm

I have one email account that is not filtered and get everything. LOL I have seen postcards for a long time. I don't know if they are the same things.

not4u13
Posts: 5481
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:00 pm

Re: New Virus on the way

Post by not4u13 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:53 am

GOODave wrote:Snopes says it's a mixture of truth and fiction.
...although the postcard virus is real, it isn't a "BIG VIRUS COMING" (it's already been around in multiple forms for a long time now), it will not "burn the whole hard disc" of your computer, CNN didn't classify it as the "worst virus ever, and it doesn't arrive in messages bearing a subject line of "invitation."
There have been variations on this virus for years but it is the real deal. No, it doesn't clobber the whole C: drive but the message is intended to get people to pay attention so it is not all bad.

Virus protection software isn't enough to keep people from doing stupid things.

If you get a message from an e-mail address that you don't know or don't expect to get a message from and it has a weird subject line (different than what you would normally see) then don't open it. It really is that simple. If you really must try and find out what it is, if you are using a browser to read your messages you can usually right click on the message and select "view source". You can then read past all the control codes in the HTML and see the actual message. Reading the message that way does not really "open" the message and the "payload" of the virus is harmless. If after veiwing the message source you are able to confirm the validity of the sender and the message then you can open it.

Sorry if that process sounds too techie for you but if you actually try it a few times on a legitimate message you can learn what to look for pretty easily and then when one of the suspicious messages comes through, you can use that method to "check" it.

Most e-mail service providers have a browser enabled interface so even if you are using a full mail client, you can still use this method by going to the browser interface for your mail. Some of the full client softare products have a similar feature by the way.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

User avatar
ThomasDad
Posts: 1818
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:07 pm

Re: New Virus on the way

Post by ThomasDad » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:46 am

Sorry, I was sitting here with my Mac...what is all the commotion about?

Pinky
Posts: 153
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:22 pm

Re: New Virus on the way

Post by Pinky » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:25 am

GOODave wrote:Snopes says it's a mixture of truth and fiction. ..
Red, You're an idiot.

Here is what else Snopes has to say:
Although the Postcard virus is real, it isn't a "BIG VIRUS COMING" (it's already been around in multiple forms for a long time now), it will not "burn the whole hard disc" of your computer, CNN didn't classify it as the "worst virus" ever, and it doesn't arrive in messages bearing a subject line of 'Invitation.'
Red, does this look familiar? Its extracted directly from Snopes:
Snopes wrote:Hi All, I checked with Norton Anti-Virus, and they are gearing up for this virus!

I checked Snopes (URL above:), and it is for real!!

Get this E-mail message sent around to your contacts ASAP.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS WARNING AMONG FRIENDS, FAMILY AND CONTACTS! You should be alert during the next few days. Do not open any message with an attachment entitled 'POSTCARD,' regardless of who sent it to you. It is a virus which opens A POSTCARD IMAGE, which 'burns' the whole hard disc C of your computer. This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her contact list. This is the reason why you need to send this e-mail to all your contacts It is better to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it.

If you receive a mail called' POSTCARD,' even though sent to you by a friend, do not open it! Shut down your computer immediately. This is the worst virus announced by CNN. It has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever. This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital information is kept.

COPY THIS E-MAIL, AND SEND IT TO YOUR FRIENDS. REMEMBER: IF YOU SEND IT TO THEM, YOU WILL BENEFIT ALL OF US
Red's original post is an exact duplicate of a message posted and discredited on Snopes.

So Red, did you actually get the cut and paste message in your original post, which quotes Snopes as it's authority, directly from the very same Snopes page that discredits the the message itself?

The irony here, of course, is that Red posted a message, purportedly written by him (he didn't see fit to attribute it to any other author or source), in which he alludes to have checked a web site authority which happens to assert that the message itself is a hoax and a fraud.

The lesson here is... check sources you claim to have checked.

Move along... nothing to see here...

Red
Posts: 17717
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:33 pm

Re: New Virus on the way

Post by Red » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:45 pm

Pinky wrote: Red, You're an idiot.

Here is what else Snopes has to say:

Red, does this look familiar? Its extracted directly from Snopes:
Red's original post is an exact duplicate of a message posted and discredited on Snopes.

So Red, did you actually get the cut and paste message in your original post, which quotes Snopes as it's authority, directly from the very same Snopes page that discredits the the message itself?

The irony here, of course, is that Red posted a message, purportedly written by him (he didn't see fit to attribute it to any other author or source), in which he alludes to have checked a web site authority which happens to assert that the message itself is a hoax and a fraud.

The lesson here is... check sources you claim to have checked.

Move along... nothing to see here...
Dear Pinky, I was only being nice. I did cut and paste an email I recieved. Just because you kiss the butts of idiot democrats and smell of what comes out of their arses, doesnt mean you have to spread your smelly breath to me. Lesson here, DONT BE A JERK!

BTW Stinky, I know people that already got hit.

User avatar
ThomasDad
Posts: 1818
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:07 pm

Re: New Virus on the way

Post by ThomasDad » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:05 pm

The lesson here is that the new gold standard in email bullsĥit is any email which claims up front that it is already verified by Snopes.

Time and again, that has proven to show the email is, in fact, a blatant lie.

Pinky
Posts: 153
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:22 pm

Re: New Virus on the way

Post by Pinky » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:14 pm

Red wrote:...Just because you kiss the butts of idiot democrats...
WTF are you talking about?

shreader
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:15 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: New Virus on the way

Post by shreader » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:30 pm

Virus warning today
I was searching for a story in my local newspaper so I went to Yahoo news/local & opened a link to a story that Bush had been killed, big mistake.

attached screenshot of the virus warning pages I got (cropped a bit).
Note the steps I went through to close the page & other info. I found out.

Scanned 2x & searched the phone # referred to on the screenshot - Total scammers

Image

Post Reply