Building a PC?

Geek spoken here
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Building a PC?

Post by John Q. Public »

crayegg wrote: Old timer? :D

My first computer was a handmedown 386sx with a 4 MB hard drive and 1 MB memory, then I spent a hundred twenty bucks to install an extra 1 meg of Ram to get to 2 MB. It didn't have enough power to run Windows 3.1, I was actually running Windows 3.0 on DOS. But I subscribed to AOL DOS. Couldn't get on the "internet" but could run AOL content. Had fun on "bulletin boards" 1989 era.
Funny. You beat me by about 5 years - 486 and Win 3.1. And I bet Noto's never even heard the word "baud." :lol:
Don't look at me, I just work here.
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

AsIfYouKnew wrote:
Did you check out the link provided? I bet it would only cost you about $100 more for everything you want, and then you have someone to complain to when it doesn't work.
I just said it's 2000 for what I want, I can build it for about 12-1400. That's a big enough savings to where I'd prefer to do it myself.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Patience, Noto. I'm working on links for Tiger Direct and Newegg, also.

Yes, I am a whore. Why do you ask?
SoMelo

Post by SoMelo »

John Q. Public wrote:Patience, Noto. I'm working on links for Tiger Direct and Newegg, also.

Yes, I am a whore. Why do you ask?
I don't remember ever purchasing from Tiger Direct, but I sure get a hell of a lot of emails from them. I finally routed them to Spam
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

SoMelo wrote: I don't remember ever purchasing from Tiger Direct, but I sure get a hell of a lot of emails from them. I finally routed them to Spam
I don't think I've bought anything from Tiger Direct* but I've gotten a few things from Newegg* and my last computer (Thanks again, folks!) was a home-built with parts that were almost exclusively from them.

* Affiliate status still pending
AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

Notorious wrote: I just said it's 2000 for what I want, I can build it for about 12-1400. That's a big enough savings to where I'd prefer to do it myself.
I got it, but what I am telling you is if you look at the specs, you can buy a ripping machine for 1200. Check it out and save yourself some aggrivation.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

AsIfYouKnew wrote:
I got it, but what I am telling you is if you look at the specs, you can buy a ripping machine for 1200. Check it out and save yourself some aggrivation.
I am looking at the specs that I want - nothing is below 1600 and that's if I skimp on things. I don't want to use ATI cards either because the game I'm looking to play has had problems with ATI video cards. Even if I use those the lowest I can get is about 1400. That's a lot of money to put into a computer that doesn't have what I want.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

We got accepted by Newegg.

Didn't get accepted by Tiger Direct. They say:

We regret to inform you that TigerDirect has chosen not to accept
you into their affiliate program at this time. The reason for this
decision may be as follows:

* inability to access Web site
* Web site not yet live
* traffic levels too low
* inappropriate material on site
:shrug:
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

Just dropping in to say it's been built! Everything works great - trying to get used to a 26.5" monitor though going from a 15" laptop screen. Only problem I had was a power supply that arrived DoA, but I sent it back and just went down to MC to pick up a new one. It wasn't too bad - was actually surprised I connected everything correctly on the first try.
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

Notorious wrote:Just dropping in to say it's been built! Everything works great - trying to get used to a 26.5" monitor though going from a 15" laptop screen. Only problem I had was a power supply that arrived DoA, but I sent it back and just went down to MC to pick up a new one. It wasn't too bad - was actually surprised I connected everything correctly on the first try.

Nice. What are the final specs?
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

joefutbol wrote:

Nice. What are the final specs?
i7 930
6 GB Ram
X58a-ud3r gigabyte motherboard
Nvidia GTX 460
1 TB HDD
26.5" Asus monitor

It's quieter than I thought it would be but I haven't overclocked it yet.
blackandyellow

Post by blackandyellow »

Anyone can build a PC nowadays. If you want to but don't know how, there are a lot of tutorials on the internet. If you're too lazy to read those, just research on which parts you should buy and pay someone to assemble it for you.