Building a PC?

Geek spoken here
AsIfYouKnew

Re: Building a PC?

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

Logic.in.LN wrote: but who was #1 :D

hint

all companies ranked
The problem with Apple is the fact that you are limited in your capabilities. There is a lot of software that is not available on an Apple.

Also, the brain washing, fascist attitude of most Apple users is annoying.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html
AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

Fordama wrote:Is your last name Patel?

Fordama
I am not understanding!
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

not4u13 wrote:I remember building some pretty scream'in 386/33 machines back in the day.
My first computer was a 486 DX2 66...it came with a 300MB hard drive and 4 megs of RAM. It was the hottest thing on the market...somewhere around 1992-3. It cost around $2600.

RAM cost about $100 a meg back then...a Japanese chip factory burned, and buying RAM cost a small fortune.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
18echo
Oversight Committee

Post by 18echo »

AsIfYouKnew wrote:The problem with Apple is the fact that you are limited in your capabilities. There is a lot of software that is not available on an Apple.

What's annoying about the Church of Apple is that they actually go out and pay more for an Apple just so they can say they're "stickin' it to the Man" (Gates).
It's funny because you can get a year old refurb laptop with no OS for about a third of the price of an Apple and run linux for free and stick it to "the Man" and "the counter-culture Man" that runs Apple.

I've also noticed that most folks I know with an Apple prefer the user-firendly software that doesn't take any effort to learn, but avoid the Windows apps they really need or really like because they don't know the first thing about running a virtual machine Windows image on their Apple.
"Hoc spatium adsuesco assuesco pro profunda rhetoricam."
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

AsIfYouKnew wrote:
I am not understanding!
:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
pattywannamack

Post by pattywannamack »

I've dealt with Dell, HP, Apple, and my own builds.

My Dell computers were okay. In my opinion Dell has the best computers hardware wise, as their machines are clean, sleek, and efficient in design. Most other prebuilt manufacturers have computers that look atrocious and simply cheap. My main problem is all the bloatware that they pack on their machines, and the fact that the power supply died on one of mine after two years. Then the next year the harddrive died. If you want the best overall experience with a PC I think it's best to go Dell. They provide the most options, have clean models, and offer pretty good overall quality.

My HP computer sucked. After about six months its' optical drive died. Since I was only in fifth grade at the time I didn't have the slightest idea of how to fix or replace an optical drive. So we sent the computer to one of their "repair centers" and it took them about six months for them to get it back to us. Trying to survive six months without a computer is inexcusable, especially considering that replacing an optical drive takes fifteen minutes. I will never buy anything HP related after that experience

Apple has been an emotional roller coaster for me. I used to really like the simplicity of their machines and programs, but as I got into building my own computers I began to despise the company. My problem with Apple lies in the fact that their computers are inefficient. They are over priced, the way that they are designed means you can't do any self repairs, and worse of all the only way to upgrade them is to buy a new one. Not only that, but I have used an Apple computer for video editing, using their professional program "Final Cut Pro". While the program itself is great, I have experienced so many stupid problems with my Apple that it becomes a pain to edit on it. Now a lot of the stuff I experienced is normal computer stuff that you simply have to take with using a computer. The problem is that Apple has built up a reputation for having machines that are infallible, and that's just not the case.

Building my own computer has easily been my best experience with computers. The machines that I have built for myself are fast, cost efficient, work well, have long life spans, and if anything goes wrong I know exactly how to fix them. The fact that the operating system doesn't come packed with bloatware is reason enough to build your own computer. But when one realizes that they are using a computer that is specifically tailored towards their needs, with each part being literally hand picked and chosen by them, there's simply no going back to a prebuilt computer Mac or PC.
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.
Zebra

Post by Zebra »

Building my own computer has easily been my best experience with computers. The machines that I have built for myself are fast, cost efficient, work well, have long life spans, and if anything goes wrong I know exactly how to fix them. The fact that the operating system doesn't come packed with bloatware is reason enough to build your own computer. But when one realizes that they are using a computer that is specifically tailored towards their needs, with each part being literally hand picked and chosen by them, there's simply no going back to a prebuilt computer Mac or PC.
Exactly my experience. Ditto above. =D> =D>
Coach, you can call me a S.O.B. all you want. Just don't call me a little S.O.B. [-X
Fordama

Post by Fordama »

AsIfYouKnew wrote: The problem with Apple is the fact that you are limited in your capabilities. There is a lot of software that is not available on an Apple.
That's what finally pulled me away from Apple and over to PC. I was tired of the constant software hunt--especially various bits of software for coaching.

My first computer was an Atari ST, and it was sweet. Fast, reliable, and easy to use. Unfortunately it was orphaned in the U.S.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK
GOODave

Post by GOODave »

pattywannamack wrote:I've dealt with Dell, HP, Apple, and my own builds.

My Dell computers were okay. In my opinion Dell has the best computers hardware wise, as their machines are clean, sleek, and efficient in design. Most other prebuilt manufacturers have computers that look atrocious and simply cheap. My main problem is all the bloatware that they pack on their machines, and the fact that the power supply died on one of mine after two years. Then the next year the harddrive died. If you want the best overall experience with a PC I think it's best to go Dell. They provide the most options, have clean models, and offer pretty good overall quality.
Forgive my naivete, Patty, but since we typically order a Dell either online or (formerly) by phone, is it not possible to specify which programs and apps do and don't go in? What, specifically, for example do you call "bloatware?"
AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

GOODave wrote: Forgive my naivete, Patty, but since we typically order a Dell either online or (formerly) by phone, is it not possible to specify which programs and apps do and don't go in? What, specifically, for example do you call "bloatware?"
They have a lot of stuff on the hard drive image that is unneccesary, such as free offers for 1 month of quicken, etc. Dell had a program they started a few months ago for small businesses where you could get an OS without it. As for me, I typically reimage my system as soon as it arrives.
Jonathan Swift

Logic.in.LN

Post by Logic.in.LN »

AsIfYouKnew wrote:
The problem with Apple is the fact that you are limited in your capabilities. There is a lot of software that is not available on an Apple.

They are still #1 in Customer Service in the computer industry.

For the software issue, there is always Bootcamp, Parallels, and VM Ware. Also, the vast majority of computer users do not need exotic platform specific software. An office suite (word, excel, & powerpoint equivalent), internet along with basic photo and video software is more than sufficient for the typical user.

Disclaimer: I prefer the mac platform but use PC's daily as well. In the ancient past I had to write autoexec and config files for the PC to maximize efficiency and disk space when using using Finite element software on a large model.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former”
– Albert Einstein

Government - If you think the problems we create are bad, jut wait until you see our solutions.
pattywannamack

Post by pattywannamack »

GOODave wrote: Forgive my naivete, Patty, but since we typically order a Dell either online or (formerly) by phone, is it not possible to specify which programs and apps do and don't go in? What, specifically, for example do you call "bloatware?"
Bloatware is essentially the vast amount of trial software, useless games, drivers, and antivirus programs (yes I consider them bloatware) that come along with a computer. The stuff is just annoying, eats up precious hard drive space, and it often subtly saps system resources if left unchecked.
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.
Lancer4Life

Post by Lancer4Life »

I love my apple because of the stuff I can do with my photos. The only problem is I can't figure how to post pictures from photobucket. Goodave showed me how once but I forgot. I do have a PC at hove for Drafting purposes and I can post from it. btw it's a Gateway
AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

Logic.in.LN wrote: They are still #1 in Customer Service in the computer industry.

For the software issue, there is always Bootcamp, Parallels, and VM Ware. Also, the vast majority of computer users do not need exotic platform specific software. An office suite (word, excel, & powerpoint equivalent), internet along with basic photo and video software is more than sufficient for the typical user.

Disclaimer: I prefer the mac platform but use PC's daily as well. In the ancient past I had to write autoexec and config files for the PC to maximize efficiency and disk space when using using Finite element software on a large model.
There is a reason for that. They can afford to have the #1 customer service because they have such high margins on their computers. You can buy the equivalent hw/sw on a Dell for half the price.
Jonathan Swift

GOODave

Post by GOODave »

Lancer4Life wrote:I love my apple because of the stuff I can do with my photos. The only problem is I can't figure how to post pictures from photobucket. Goodave showed me how once but I forgot. I do have a PC at hove for Drafting purposes and I can post from it. btw it's a Gateway
In Photobucket, specifically, hover your cursor over the picture yiou want to post (let's say "in this community) and one of the little horizontal boxes below the photo will start with [img] ... either double click that little box (which Copies the line of code) or right click the little box and copy it yourself. Whichever the case, go to the community where you want to post it and paste the code in.

It will look something like [ img] ....................properties URL of the photo ....... [ /img] and when you click "submit," the photo or graphic will be there instead of the image coding.

If you want to post a graphic from anywhere else on the internet (let's say a particularly charming photo of Hillary Clinton that you found), right click on the photo, select "properties" from the drop-down, then highlight the URL in the properties window and <Copy> it.

Go to the community you want to post it in, select the forum, open a response dialogue box and type in your own [ img] (without the space, of course), then <paste> the properties URL, and type your own [ /img] at the end... and your response will include the graphic once you hit "submit."
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

pattywannamack wrote:
Bloatware is essentially the vast amount of trial software, useless games, drivers, and antivirus programs (yes I consider them bloatware) that come along with a computer. The stuff is just annoying, eats up precious hard drive space, and it often subtly saps system resources if left unchecked.
It doesn't take long to delete all this stuff.

"Precious" hard drive space is a bit of a misnomer to most users considering hard drives are available quite cheaply that have hundreds of GIGS of memory. I doubt most will ever fill those hard drives...in the event they do another external drive is also relatively cheap.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
Seadog

Post by Seadog »

Notorious wrote:I've been contemplating on building a PC as I heard it's generally cheaper and obviously more customized to fit your wants. It also helps in knowing exactly what parts you want. My question concerns the difficulty of being able to do such a thing. I have a decent amount of computer knowledge but certainly nothing over the top. I'm just curious if it's possible for an amateur to do or is it reserved for more of the hardcore computer people.
It all depends on what you want to do with your comp. I went here and never will buy from another place again. http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/ They are local if you want to call it local at least I was able to pick it up. I also did a little research on them, IE BBB. They did have some kinks but they worked them out. I have had my comp long enough for the warranty to have lapsed and they give a very good one at that. They offer ready built or custom built, both, IE, Buy a ready built and then have them tweak it to what you want. That is what I did.
"Todo lo que necesitamos es ganas"
("All we need is the want")
"Stand and Deliver"
GOODave

Post by GOODave »

Seadog wrote:
It all depends on what you want to do with your comp. I went here and never will buy from another place again. http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/ They are local if you want to call it local at least I was able to pick it up. I also did a little research on them, IE BBB. They did have some kinks but they worked them out. I have had my comp long enough for the warranty to have lapsed and they give a very good one at that. They offer ready built or custom built, both, IE, Buy a ready built and then have them tweak it to what you want. That is what I did.
that post of Noto's to which you responded is ancient ... but I'm glad you did: Good website to browse!
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

GOODave wrote: that post of Noto's to which you responded is ancient ... but I'm glad you did: Good website to browse!
Still useful, I didn't get around to it yet since I still have another 6 months or so before I need it and because of the Kenya trip most the money I make goes there.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch
slowyoroll

Post by slowyoroll »

Notorious wrote: Still useful, I didn't get around to it yet since I still have another 6 months or so before I need it and because of the Kenya trip most the money I make goes there.
You are really in for something Noto..I hope you have a great time
"IF YOU'RE NOT RICH, IF YOU DON'T HAVE A JOB DON'T BLAME WALL STREET BLAME YOURSELF!"

HERMAN CAIN

IDIOT