Building a PC?

Geek spoken here
Notorious

Re: Building a PC?

Post by Notorious »

kicks2 wrote:
You are really in for something Noto..I hope you have a great time
Not to derail, but I'll be sure to take some pictures and post a few of them at this site.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

I've built tons of em. Get your parts from Fry's and do it yourself. It's the cheapest way to go, and their return policy and customer service are the heat. They run ads in the paper all the time (the big one comes out every Friday), and have some really good deals sometimes. If you need any help, let me know.
AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

joefutbol wrote:I've built tons of em. Get your parts from Fry's and do it yourself. It's the cheapest way to go, and their return policy and customer service are the heat. They run ads in the paper all the time (the big one comes out every Friday), and have some really good deals sometimes. If you need any help, let me know.
My son built his own box last summer. He had to go back to Fry's three times to exchange the MoBo. Whatever we saved in parts, we spent in gas.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

AsIfYouKnew wrote:
My son built his own box last summer. He had to go back to Fry's three times to exchange the MoBo. Whatever we saved in parts, we spent in gas.
Yeah, but they will take anything back no questions asked and give you another one. It's much better than ordering parts online, paying for shipping and handling, and then having to ship boxes back and wait for new parts after they arrive DOA. And unless it's an open box item, Fry's doesn't have any control over which parts work and which don't. I've had the same experience as your son many times.
Seadog

Post by Seadog »

joefutbol wrote:
Yeah, but they will take anything back no questions asked and give you another one. It's much better than ordering parts online, paying for shipping and handling, and then having to ship boxes back and wait for new parts after they arrive DOA. And unless it's an open box item, Fry's doesn't have any control over which parts work and which don't. I've had the same experience as your son many times.
This is true joefutbol. But with buying one versus doing a build it that you do have the tech support. And I did a lot of research before pick Cyberpower. They are the cheapest and still close enough to pick up or return. But like a lot I would like to build one my self. Or you can get a bare bones system and do it that way.
"Todo lo que necesitamos es ganas"
("All we need is the want")
"Stand and Deliver"
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

Seadog wrote: This is true joefutbol. But with buying one versus doing a build it that you do have the tech support. And I did a lot of research before pick Cyberpower. They are the cheapest and still close enough to pick up or return. But like a lot I would like to build one my self. Or you can get a bare bones system and do it that way.
Well, you should always just do what you're comfortable with.

But, building one yourself is literally easier than pie. You can get all the tech support you need for free from experts in communities such as www.anandtech.com and www.sharkyforums.com. All I'm saying is don't be afraid to try it yourself. There are always plenty of people out there willing to help.
Seadog

Post by Seadog »

Here you go joefutbol. I wouldn't mind building this one :thumbsup:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... tigeremail
"Todo lo que necesitamos es ganas"
("All we need is the want")
"Stand and Deliver"
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

Ok so I've been researching like a madman in the last week or so trying to understand what's compatible with everything and I think I've got a good basis but I'm also looking for some advice.

So far I think I've decided on these four main parts

Processor
i7 core 930 bloomfield

Graphics Card
1 GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 460

Motherboard
Asus P6T SE

Video Memory
6 GB 1600 or 1333 Mhz triple channel DDR3 RAM (depending on money)

HDD
Western Digital Caviar Green 800GB SATAII 64 mb cache

Power Supply
Coolmax CUG-950B 950-Watt Power Supply

I'm still looking for other things but if anyone has any cheaper/better suggestions I'm all ears. I'm having trouble deciding on a case that would provide sufficient ventilation, anymore suggestions for other items needed are also welcome(sound card, monitor, speakers etc.).
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Call me a spammer, but here's a good place to buy that stuff (as recommended by Seadog).

Don't look at me, I just work here.
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

John Q. Public wrote:Call me a spammer, but here's a good place to buy that stuff (as recommended by Seadog).

If I go that route I'll be paying just over 2 grand where as making it, is going to be much cheaper.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Notorious wrote: If I go that route I'll be paying just over 2 grand where as making it, is going to be much cheaper.
Well, let me know where you decide to get it from and I'll see if I can join their program.

:: Must find "Will link for food" sign ::

p.s. Call me an old timer, but I still remember an old boss telling me we couldn't computerize our inventory because we'd need a WHOLE GIG of hard drive space! :shock:
Don't look at me, I just work here.
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

John Q. Public wrote: Well, let me know where you decide to get it from and I'll see if I can join their program.

p.s. Call me an old timer, but I still remember an old boss telling me we couldn't computerize our inventory because we'd need a WHOLE GIG of hard drive space! :shock:
I'm just saying if you buy parts from multiple places, you're going to get it cheaper than someone who can build it for you was all I was saying. If I do everything the way I want, it should be about 1200-1300 saving me 800 bucks.
AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

Notorious wrote: If I go that route I'll be paying just over 2 grand where as making it, is going to be much cheaper.
I have been building computers for years. If you buy all premium components, you are not going to even come close to the price of a package deal. You will, however, have the most smoking PC around for about a week. :mrgreen:
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

Notorious

Post by Notorious »

Notorious wrote:Ok so I've been researching like a madman in the last week or so trying to understand what's compatible with everything and I think I've got a good basis but I'm also looking for some advice.

So far I think I've decided on these four main parts

Processor
i7 core 930 bloomfield

Graphics Card
1 GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 460

Motherboard
Asus P6T SE

Video Memory
6 GB 1600 or 1333 Mhz triple channel DDR3 RAM (depending on money)

HDD
Western Digital Caviar Green 800GB SATAII 64 mb cache

Power Supply
Coolmax CUG-950B 950-Watt Power Supply

I'm still looking for other things but if anyone has any cheaper/better suggestions I'm all ears. I'm having trouble deciding on a case that would provide sufficient ventilation, anymore suggestions for other items needed are also welcome(sound card, monitor, speakers etc.).
Don't want this to get lost, any comments on this setup as far as compatibility, price of parts etc?
AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

Notorious wrote: Don't want this to get lost, any comments on this setup as far as compatibility, price of parts etc?
I think it looks good, other than you are not getting six gig of video memory. What OS are you going to run? What is the purpose of this machine? Are you a gamer? Video rendering? Why do you need all this power?
Jonathan Swift

Notorious

Post by Notorious »

AsIfYouKnew wrote:
I think it looks good, other than you are not getting six gig of video memory. What OS are you going to run? What is the purpose of this machine? Are you a gamer? Video rendering? Why do you need all this power?
Gaming - minimum specs are quad core, 4 gigs of ram and gtx 400 series or ati 5000 series I think.
ND7

Post by ND7 »

AsIfYouKnew wrote:
He's a young man. 8)
"What matters is not that it's true, but that I believe it; or no, not that I believe it, but that I believe it....I trust I make myself obscure."
St. Thomas More, A Man for All Seasons.
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

ND7 wrote: He's a young man. 8)
I very well could be doing something productive with it! Nah, I'm just going to get sucked into a few different videogames so I need it.
AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

Notorious wrote: I very well could be doing something productive with it! Nah, I'm just going to get sucked into a few different videogames so I need it.
Did you check out the link provided? I bet it would only cost you about $100 more for everything you want, and then you have someone to complain to when it doesn't work.
Jonathan Swift

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Post by crayegg »

John Q. Public wrote: Well, let me know where you decide to get it from and I'll see if I can join their program.

Old timer? :D

My first computer was a handmedown 386sx with a 4 MB hard drive and 1 MB memory, then I spent a hundred twenty bucks to install an extra 1 meg of Ram to get to 2 MB. It didn't have enough power to run Windows 3.1, I was actually running Windows 3.0 on DOS. But I subscribed to AOL DOS. Couldn't get on the "internet" but could run AOL content. Had fun on "bulletin boards" 1989 era.