History of the internet

Geek spoken here
GOODave

History of the internet

Post by GOODave »

Shyster didnt' mention Algore even once...

Must not know what he's talking about. :rockon:
Web pioneer recalls 'birth of the Internet'
By Philip Rosenbaum, CNN

October 29, 2009 1:00 p.m. EDT

(CNN) -- It was 1969 and a busy year for making history: Woodstock, the Miracle Mets, men on the moon -- and something less celebrated but arguably more significant, the birth of the Internet.

On October 29 of that year, for perhaps the first time, a message was sent over the network that would eventually become the Web. Leonard Kleinrock, a professor of computer science at the University of California-Los Angeles, connected the school's host computer to one at Stanford Research Institute, a former arm of Stanford University.

Forty years ago today, the Internet may have uttered its first word.

Twenty years later, Kleinrock chaired a group whose report on building a national computer network influenced Congress in helping develop the modern Internet. Kleinrock holds more than a dozen patents and was awarded the National Medal of Science last year by President Bush.

In an interview with CNN, the 75-year-old looks back on his achievements and peers into the exciting and sometimes scary future of the Web he helped create.
Of course, the whole interview is still on CNN if you're interested (actually it's there whether or not you're interested).
Logic.in.LN

Re: History of the internet

Post by Logic.in.LN »

GOODave wrote:Shyster didnt' mention Algore even once...

Must not know what he's talking about. :rockon:

Of course, the whole interview is still on CNN if you're interested (actually it's there whether or not you're interested).
... and Kleinrock still has the computer that sent the first message.

I read a similar interview in a UCLA magazine last week. Kleinrock described how they inadvertently created the first DNS attack on the 1st spammer by repeatedly sending them messages to knock it off. :ROFL:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former”
– Albert Einstein

Government - If you think the problems we create are bad, jut wait until you see our solutions.
not4u13

Re: History of the internet

Post by not4u13 »

My first forray into the world of the Internet was back in 1991.

The "Internet" we know today is really driven more by the world wide web.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... b-was-born

The foundation of WWW is the Internet itself but it was actually fairly cumbersome to use. It wasn't until the introduction of HTML and HTTP and the notion of URLs created by Tim Berners-Lee that the Internet became easy enough for the general public to use. Prior to that the Internet was largely dominated by FTP and SMTP traffic, most of which was simple text or basic binary data transfers.

Back in 1991 most Internet use was by Universities and the public sector (i.e. government). Businesses that were doing business for the public sector had also adopted use of the Internet by then as well but it was still mostly about mail and basic file sharing.

Geeks in the public were still using low speed modems to dial up to bulletin board services, some of which offered "public" SMTP addresses and access to "newsgroups" or "listserv" subscriptions (all of which actually started well before 1991). It was these services that formed the basis of public forums like OCConnect. For those participating, there was a vast array of information available from people all over the world. Collaboration was real, but the penetration was still very small compared to the overall population and the amount of information available was tiny by today's standards. In addition, gaining access required more than just a little technical know-how. Transfering files mean knowing commands like "bin", "get", "put", "ls" (and its many parameters), "open" and "close" ... and that was just for starters. If you actually wanted to find information you needed to know how to "grep". Scanning messages from a listserv often meant hundreds of mail messages each day. Sorting through that became prohibitive if the user didn't have a more sophisticated message client.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't like I had never touched e-mail before 1991. While I was a bit of a latecommer, I started really tinkering back in 1986.

Nevertheless, the "Internet" we know today didn't really take hold until well after Tim Berners-Lee created the first incarnation of the WWW.

The real question isn't "who invented the Internet" but rather, what was the catalyst that propelled the nation and eventually the world to make the Internet what it is today. To that end, when Al Gore made his now infamous speech encouraging the adoption of Internet technology for commerce, there was an acceleration of sorts. It pushed this already growing and developing set of technologies into the public eye. In fact, many of the early adopters feared an immediate "privatization" of the Internet. This has quietly occured as the backbone has become run by a sort of patchwork of private companies (http://www.governingwithcode.org/journa ... ckbone.pdf). It most certainly resulted in greater commercialization of the Internet. But rather than ruining the Internet as was feared, the Internet has grown by leaps and bounds (as we have all witnessed). Early predictions of a meltdown never materialized. Early predictions that the rapid adoption would end catastrophically when we eventually ran out of IP addresses never materialized (although the adoption of IPv6 will still be needed (http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/1 ... 0arguments).

So again, what was that catalyst? I am not a suporter of much of anything that Al Gore has (or has not) done but I do have to agree with one aspect. While Gore most certainly did NOT "invent" the Internet, he most certainly did take steps to enable its widespread adoption in the private sector. He was part of a fairly large group of poeple who had the vision of the "possibility" of the Internet and he was in a position to actively promote its use. In a manner of speaking, Al Gore was a catalyst for changing the Internet from what it was then to what it is now.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com