Desperately need help

Geek spoken here
Red

Desperately need help

Post by Red »

Well, the time has come to purchase a new computer and I am a FREAKING novice when it comes to selecting a nice system. I need help. I cant make up my mind.

Laptop, Desktop, or a Sony All-in-One I recently saw

Sony, ACER, HP

Cant stand the clutter of my existing computer. Do have wireless mouse and keyboard now.

Dont want to spend more than $1,000.

I am thinking of this one:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... 4294966455
GGArgoFan

Re: Desperately need help

Post by GGArgoFan »

Red wrote:Well, the time has come to purchase a new computer and I am a FREAKING novice when it comes to selecting a nice system. I need help. I cant make up my mind.

Sony, ACER, HP

Cant stand the clutter of my existing computer. Do have wireless mouse and keyboard now.

Go with it Red. Just bought the same for Christmas for my spoiled children. I think i am going to make it mine. :-k
GOODave

Post by GOODave »

You can get a lot more memory and storage with a desktop ... but of course you can't take a desk top with you.

Before you decide, go to apple.com and just LOOK at the refurbished iMacs ... won't cost you much more than what you're looking to spend and you can get a pretty solid machine.

dave
pshaw

Post by pshaw »

I read the thread title and thought you were lying in the road somewhere...sheesh
Red

Post by Red »

pshaw wrote:I read the thread title and thought you were lying in the road somewhere...sheesh
Geez, My own MD Brother! If that was the case:

[youtube][/youtube]

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:
tLIB

Post by tLIB »

Our newest computer is a netbook. We bought a monitor, hooked up a mouse and keyboard to it. The kids use it. Now they all have their own computer and none of them complain. :cheers:

Netbooks are smaller, but they have a built in camera. I bought a camera for my computer a couple years ago and it keeps shorting out the USB and freezing up the computer. We have to reboot. Built in cameras are nice.

Netbooks are pretty cheap. $250 or so.
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

If you don't have much to spend and most of what you use your computer for is connecting to and browsing the Internet, I would go with a netbook. I have never actually owned one but I have watched as they have been developed over the last few years and they are very attractive. You can buy a fairly inexpensive desktop with the money left over if you really have a need to run some apps.

You didn't say you were trying to buy a gaming computer or anything with a heavy graphics or processing requirement.

As far as the mac goes, they are overpriced. Very nice machines and I have come so close to purchasing one many times, but I have never been able to justify the cost. I have 8 computers in this house right now, 5 of which are laptops (4 Toshiba and one Sony). Some of these systems are well over 5 years old and they still do what is needed of them and 5 run Windows Vista while the rest on on Windows XP.

GD has a good idea there with checking out a used Mac. Maybe then you will actually pay closer to what they are worth.

The netbook, however, is probably the best price/performance machine around.

Check out this review from c-net.

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-netbooks/

Be sure to understand what features you want as some will come with Bluetooth and some won't. The Asus is still the benchmark for Netbook systems. You'll pay over $300 for it, but you will get a state-of-the-art netbook. The Samsung in the reivews appears to be very strong too and it has better ratings from users.

Netbooks come installed with Windows XP Home right now. They have never run Windows Vista but they may soon come standard with Windows 7. They can run Microsoft Office and some other basic applications but don't expect them to run anything that needs a lot of horsepower as they just don't have that (they just are not designed to do that kind of thing ... they are designed to be ultra-portable internet machines).

If you get a little tired of the small screen, just connect it to your LCD display. Add a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and you can sit on your couch while surfing the net.

If you buy one through Verizon (for example) you can get built in cellular modem. You'll need a data plan but then you can have full browser functionality no matter where you go. Of course, with a bluetooth enabled netbook and bluetooth phone with a data plan, any of these netbooks can be set up to use your cell phone as a cellular modem. It requires some advance setup but it is possible. Just don't expect blazing speed through any cellular modem technology. If you can get a WiFi connection, you are far better off.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

not4u13 wrote:If you don't have much to spend and most of what you use your computer for is connecting to and browsing the Internet, I would go with a netbook. I have never actually owned one but I have watched as they have been developed over the last few years and they are very attractive. You can buy a fairly inexpensive desktop with the money left over if you really have a need to run some apps.
I use an "older" (about a year and a half) Fujitsu netbook for work and the drawbacks I've seen with it are 1.) it can be a bear to read if the font size is small and/or you can find yourself scrolling a lot on pages that weren't designed for small screens, and 2.) battery life can be pretty short if you're trying to do anything too heavy with it. I was getting about 6 hours originally but the office has loaded so much stuff on it that I'm only getting about an hour now.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

John Q. Public wrote:
I use an "older" (about a year and a half) Fujitsu netbook for work and the drawbacks I've seen with it are 1.) it can be a bear to read if the font size is small and/or you can find yourself scrolling a lot on pages that weren't designed for small screens, and 2.) battery life can be pretty short if you're trying to do anything too heavy with it. I was getting about 6 hours originally but the office has loaded so much stuff on it that I'm only getting about an hour now.
Battery life is a very big deal with these. The more power you put into them the worse the batter life. The biggest draw is usually the screen. I am not sure why more applications would reduce battery life that substantially. There must be some setting that was changed. It is also true that the battery is only going to do a good job for about two years (less if you use the system on battery more often). Yes, the battery will work long after two years, but you are only going to get the optimal batter life for about two years.

Running the screen at full brightness, enabling bluetooth, using the built in cellular modem and leaving wifi enabled all at the same time will drain the battery pretty quickly on almost any laptop or netbook. Battery technology just isn't that great yet ... and we think electric cars are the future ... can you imagine???
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

not4u13 wrote:
Battery life is a very big deal with these. The more power you put into them the worse the batter life. The biggest draw is usually the screen. I am not sure why more applications would reduce battery life that substantially. There must be some setting that was changed. It is also true that the battery is only going to do a good job for about two years (less if you use the system on battery more often). Yes, the battery will work long after two years, but you are only going to get the optimal batter life for about two years.

Running the screen at full brightness, enabling bluetooth, using the built in cellular modem and leaving wifi enabled all at the same time will drain the battery pretty quickly on almost any laptop or netbook. Battery technology just isn't that great yet ... and we think electric cars are the future ... can you imagine???
I don't know. I can't access any of the settings. Grrrr. There's no Bluetooth or cellular and I keep the Wi-Fi off except when I'm using it, but it seems that the more questions they add to the surveys the less battery life I get. I never used to carry my car charger but now I keep it plugged in constantly.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

Red wrote:Well, the time has come to purchase a new computer and I am a FREAKING novice when it comes to selecting a nice system. I need help. I cant make up my mind.

Sony, ACER, HP

Don't buy a Sony. They are overpriced. Buy a Dell.

go to the outlet site (www.dell.com/outlet). That is where you get the most bang for the buck.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html
SLK230

Post by SLK230 »

AsIfYouKnew wrote:
Don't buy a Sony. They are overpriced. Buy a Dell.

go to the outlet site (http://www.dell.com/outlet). That is where you get the most bang for the buck.

I agree Dell or HP is a much better deal. Go to HP.COM.
Thought for the day:
We are always hearing about how Social Security is going to run out of money.
How come we never hear about Welfare running out of money?
tLIB

Post by tLIB »

John Q. Public wrote: I don't know. I can't access any of the settings. Grrrr. There's no Bluetooth or cellular and I keep the Wi-Fi off except when I'm using it, but it seems that the more questions they add to the surveys the less battery life I get. I never used to carry my car charger but now I keep it plugged in constantly.
We used to run a laptop as a server a few years ago. The thing began overheating. We rarely use it now, but we do take it with us on vacations.
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

I have an iMac with Intel, 24" screen that I love. It has two GB but I want 4. About two weeks ago it gave me so much trouble I took it in to the Genius bar and I got it back the next day with a new hard drive - FREE. Image

However, I am thinking of buying a netbook to read articles from the Internet. I don't like reading long articles on the computer (too uncomfortable) so I print them out and go through lots of paper and printer ink. Printers too come to think of it. Too many $$$. If I had a netbook I could read comfortably other than at my desk.

Who has the best netbook, does anyone know? Does anyone know anything about Acer computers? We have Dells so I know they are good.
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

Brooke wrote:I have an iMac with Intel, 24" screen that I love. It has two GB but I want 4. About two weeks ago it gave me so much trouble I took it in to the Genius bar and I got it back the next day with a new hard drive - FREE. Image

However, I am thinking of buying a netbook to read articles from the Internet. I don't like reading long articles on the computer (too uncomfortable) so I print them out and go through lots of paper and printer ink. Printers too come to think of it. Too many $$$. If I had a netbook I could read comfortably other than at my desk.

Who has the best netbook, does anyone know? Does anyone know anything about Acer computers? We have Dells so I know they are good.
The link I posted above from CNet actually has some very good reviews on netbooks.

Acer is an interesting company. They recently (well more than a year ago now) acquired eMachines. As a computer manufacturer, they have been around for several years. They don't really do a lot of their own engineering. They were originally more of an assembly shop for low-end (and low-priced) systems but they have grown to be more than just a follower. They are a solid company that offers solid value in a decent quality product. I do not consider their products to be "high-end" but for the type of use you refer, they are definately a consideration.

One thing you want to watch out for with the netbook is the screen size. If you want to use it as a reader, you may be disappointed as it may become a strain on your eyes due to the screen resolution, especially if you are accustomed to reading a printed paper.

Yes, you can adjust the screen resolution and font size but with the already much smaller screen, you may be disappointed in the amount of text that you can view at a given time (both horizontally and vertically).

The point is, you should go to a store and try to get someone to let you try one out. Maybe you can find a friend who has one already and borrow it for a day or two. You'll need more than a casual glance to get a good idea whether or not it will meet your needs.
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

not4u13 wrote:
The link I posted above from CNet actually has some very good reviews on netbooks.

Acer is an interesting company. They recently (well more than a year ago now) acquired eMachines. As a computer manufacturer, they have been around for several years. They don't really do a lot of their own engineering. They were originally more of an assembly shop for low-end (and low-priced) systems but they have grown to be more than just a follower. They are a solid company that offers solid value in a decent quality product. I do not consider their products to be "high-end" but for the type of use you refer, they are definately a consideration.

One thing you want to watch out for with the netbook is the screen size. If you want to use it as a reader, you may be disappointed as it may become a strain on your eyes due to the screen resolution, especially if you are accustomed to reading a printed paper.

Yes, you can adjust the screen resolution and font size but with the already much smaller screen, you may be disappointed in the amount of text that you can view at a given time (both horizontally and vertically).

The point is, you should go to a store and try to get someone to let you try one out. Maybe you can find a friend who has one already and borrow it for a day or two. You'll need more than a casual glance to get a good idea whether or not it will meet your needs.
Thanks for the advice. Why don't you try this approach on other subjects that come up too?
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?
GOODave

Post by GOODave »

Brooke wrote: Thanks for the advice. Why don't you try this approach on other subjects that come up too?
Why can't you just be grateful and shut your yap?
tLIB

Post by tLIB »

Brooke wrote:I have an iMac with Intel, 24" screen that I love. It has two GB but I want 4. About two weeks ago it gave me so much trouble I took it in to the Genius bar and I got it back the next day with a new hard drive - FREE. Image

Maybe a "Tablet". If you are a Mac person, Apple will have their iPad soon.
pattywannamack

Post by pattywannamack »

If you want the absolute best bang for your buck, you may want to look into building your own computer. You can often get better components for a fraction of the price of a prebuilt computer, and you won't have to deal with all of the bloatware that comes with a prebuilt. But if you don't have the time, desire, or patience to do so, then my personal favorite is Dell. My first few computers where Dells, and they all worked quite well. Dell has some nice customizing options, and some great price ranges/deals. Though I prefer building my own computers now, due to the better price/performance ratio.

I can't stand netbooks. Paying $300 for an underpowered and small laptop seems stupid to me when there's entry level laptops for $500 that are bigger and faster. Some people really like the portability of a netbook, but the ones that I have seen all look and feel incredibly cheap. Of course that's what you get when you're paying $300 for a computer, but I would much rather bite the bullet and pay out another $200 for a real laptop.

If you can't handle using a real computer, then I suppose a Mac is a good alternative. Just keep in mind though that you will be paying a $300+ premium to have an underpowered machine with an Apple logo on it. Contrary to popular belief, Macs do get viruses, and my Dad's brand new Macbook Pro had its hard drive die after 3 months of use. People think Macs are infallible and they're really not, Apple just has very persuasive marketing. For $1000 you're looking at an entry level Mac, whereas $1000 will get you a fairly high end PC. I have had nothing but problems with my Apple machines, so I honestly don't recommend them.

A great site to look at is http://www.newegg.com

They have a great selection of prebuilt computers, and laptops at a variety of price ranges. They also have the best customer service, and shipping that I have ever seen from a company.
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.
THe Nug

Post by THe Nug »

Dave"s suggestion was good one. Check out a Mac. If the $1000 price range is what you are shooting for then go with a Mac...even a refurbished. The only reason to go with a PC is they are much more affordable.