Desperately need help

Geek spoken here
AsIfYouKnew

Re: Desperately need help

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

THe Nug wrote:Dave"s suggestion was good one. Check out a Mac. If the $1000 price range is what you are shooting for then go with a Mac...even a refurbished. The only reason to go with a PC is they are much more affordable.
Again, showing your incompetence.

PCs have much more software available, and for a fraction of the price, you can have a machine just as if not more solid than a mac.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html
tLIB

Post by tLIB »

tLIB wrote:
Maybe a "Tablet". If you are a Mac person, Apple will have their iPad soon.
The iPad was lacking. No USB. No video other than movies. Maybe the iPad 2 will be better.

[youtube][/youtube]
Logic.in.LN

Post by Logic.in.LN »

AsIfYouKnew wrote:
Again, showing your incompetence.

PCs have much more software available, and for a fraction of the price, you can have a machine just as if not more solid than a mac.
If price is the sole consideration then yes there are many PC's that are cheaper than a mac. However, when you compare similar specs Mac prices are no different if not lower than Dell, HP and others. link link 2

On the software side, there is also alot of software for the mac. In terms of total numbers, PC's have more, but most users only really need less than a dozen titles. If there is some PC only items, then there is the option for virturalization on the Mac or bootcamp.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former”
– Albert Einstein

Government - If you think the problems we create are bad, jut wait until you see our solutions.
AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

Logic.in.LN wrote: If price is the sole consideration then yes there are many PC's that are cheaper than a mac. However, when you compare similar specs Mac prices are no different if not lower than Dell, HP and others. link link 2

On the software side, there is also alot of software for the mac. In terms of total numbers, PC's have more, but most users only really need less than a dozen titles. If there is some PC only items, then there is the option for virturalization on the Mac or bootcamp.
I would disagree, but really don't want to spend time going through links to back it up. However, having purchased three laptops over the past five years, I can speak anecdotally and say that I saved a bunch of money buying Dell. Apple is a great marketing company. It is a perceived product disparity.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html
GOODave

Post by GOODave »

This table ONLY shows Leopard vs. Windows Vista... but it is a pretty thorough, and fair (if not a bit dated) comparison:
fnuts

Post by fnuts »

pattywannamack wrote:If you want the absolute best bang for your buck, you may want to look into building your own computer. You can often get better components for a fraction of the price of a prebuilt computer, and you won't have to deal with all of the bloatware that comes with a prebuilt. But if you don't have the time, desire, or patience to do so, then my personal favorite is Dell. My first few computers where Dells, and they all worked quite well. Dell has some nice customizing options, and some great price ranges/deals. Though I prefer building my own computers now, due to the better price/performance ratio.

I can't stand netbooks. Paying $300 for an underpowered and small laptop seems stupid to me when there's entry level laptops for $500 that are bigger and faster. Some people really like the portability of a netbook, but the ones that I have seen all look and feel incredibly cheap. Of course that's what you get when you're paying $300 for a computer, but I would much rather bite the bullet and pay out another $200 for a real laptop.

If you can't handle using a real computer, then I suppose a Mac is a good alternative. Just keep in mind though that you will be paying a $300+ premium to have an underpowered machine with an Apple logo on it. Contrary to popular belief, Macs do get viruses, and my Dad's brand new Macbook Pro had its hard drive die after 3 months of use. People think Macs are infallible and they're really not, Apple just has very persuasive marketing. For $1000 you're looking at an entry level Mac, whereas $1000 will get you a fairly high end PC. I have had nothing but problems with my Apple machines, so I honestly don't recommend them.

A great site to look at is http://www.newegg.com

They have a great selection of prebuilt computers, and laptops at a variety of price ranges. They also have the best customer service, and shipping that I have ever seen from a company.
...you may want to look into building your own computer. That can be very rewarding, but not recommended for the average individual. Building your own rig means you get to fix it. Who do you call if you aren't technically savvy to diagnose and repair a problem? Most people aren't.

If you can't handle using a real computer, then I suppose a Mac is a good alternative. I'll bet you've seen a feature film or television show within the last 20 years. It's just about a certainty that an Apple computer was used producing visual effects for or the editing of that film or television show. But Macs aren't "real" computers.

People think Macs are infallible and they're really not. No, they're not. They just have the best consumer satisfaction and reliability rating of any turn-key personal computer system.

Macs do get viruses True, but it is extremely rare, as compared to Windows OS machines. So rare it's really not worth worrying about.

For $1000 you're looking at an entry level Mac, whereas $1000 will get you a fairly high end PC. The $1k Mac will include useful and productive multimedia software included with the system. (If you need such software. In today's environment, most people do.) I also build computers, and would like to see your spec sheet for a "high-end" $1k PC. You can certainly build an inexpensive "gaming" PC, but it will be built with cheap quality and low MTBF parts.

...my Dad's brand new Macbook Pro had its hard drive die after 3 months of use. That empirical example makes an Apple computer a terrible purchase? Again, Apple has the best consumer satisfaction rating of any turn-key system.

I use Windows, MAC OSX, and Red Hat Linux on a daily basis. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. Your generalizations regarding Apple are silly.
SoMelo

Post by SoMelo »

fnuts wrote:

...you may want to look into building your own computer. That can be very rewarding, but not recommended for the average individual. Building your own rig means you get to fix it. Who do you call if you aren't technically savvy to diagnose and repair a problem? Most people aren't.

If you can't handle using a real computer, then I suppose a Mac is a good alternative. I'll bet you've seen a feature film or television show within the last 20 years. It's just about a certainty that an Apple computer was used producing visual effects for or the editing of that film or television show. But Macs aren't "real" computers.

People think Macs are infallible and they're really not. No, they're not. They just have the best consumer satisfaction and reliability rating of any turn-key personal computer system.

Macs do get viruses True, but it is extremely rare, as compared to Windows OS machines. So rare it's really not worth worrying about.

For $1000 you're looking at an entry level Mac, whereas $1000 will get you a fairly high end PC. The $1k Mac will include useful and productive multimedia software included with the system. (If you need such software. In today's environment, most people do.) I also build computers, and would like to see your spec sheet for a "high-end" $1k PC. You can certainly build an inexpensive "gaming" PC, but it will be built with cheap quality and low MTBF parts.

...my Dad's brand new Macbook Pro had its hard drive die after 3 months of use. That empirical example makes an Apple computer a terrible purchase? Again, Apple has the best consumer satisfaction rating of any turn-key system.

I use Windows, MAC OSX, and Red Hat Linux on a daily basis. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. Your generalizations regarding Apple are silly.
Patty is only 17 maybe 18... :wink:
fnuts

Post by fnuts »

A little education is good when you are young and confident!
pattywannamack

Post by pattywannamack »

I'll bet you've seen a feature film or television show within the last 20 years. It's just about a certainty that an Apple computer was used producing visual effects for or the editing of that film or television show. But Macs aren't "real" computers.

Oh believe me I know all about that, I want to be a Film Major. I've made about 20 movies using Apple's Final Cut Pro Software (which is what most professionals use) so I know what Macs can do with video editing. Through that experience though, I've also learned how much of a pain they can be. What gets me is the little things like only having half of my movie clips show up when I open a project, but having all of them reappear upon restarting Final Cut Pro, or experiencing the rainbow pin wheel of death when trying to render, or playback some clips. Even then, it's not like PC's can't edit video either. Chapman University's film department has hundreds of computers running AVID, and I am sure they are just as effective as any Mac running Final Cut Pro.

But that's besides the point, what I mean to say is that I've experienced a ton of problems when using my Mac just to edit movies, whereas my PC has been relatively flawless in everyday use. I know some people may have experienced the exact opposite of this situation, but after some of the stupid stuff that a Mac has put me through, I simply can't recommend them to anyone. I do agree that Macs work great for people that can afford them, and don't want to deal with the issues that often plague PC users. However, if you know what you're doing with a computer, the price efficiency and performance gain of PC's can easily outweigh any advantage that a Mac offers.
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.
GOODave

Post by GOODave »

pattywannamack wrote: or experiencing the rainbow pin wheel of death when trying to render, or playback some clips...
I don't do any video editing, but on my iMac, the rainbow pin wheel shows up only when I have a "memory" issue as the OS prioritizes my demands.

I have only rarely had the pinwheel terminate a session.
tLIB

Post by tLIB »

pattywannamack wrote: I can't stand netbooks. Paying $300 for an underpowered and small laptop seems stupid to me when there's entry level laptops for $500 that are bigger and faster. Some people really like the portability of a netbook, but the ones that I have seen all look and feel incredibly cheap. Of course that's what you get when you're paying $300 for a computer, but I would much rather bite the bullet and pay out another $200 for a real laptop.
For me a Netbook made sense. We already had a laptop. My wife has another computer. I didn't want to give up one of my two computers. I have three kids and they only had two computers. All we needed was one more computer for the third kid. Low cost made sense for our 7-year old.

My older daughter and boyfriend bought a netbook for their vacation to southeast Asia. It is small and cheap. It had a built in camera and they could skype me. They already had a couple laptops and several desktops too.
tLIB

Post by tLIB »

GOODave wrote: I don't do any video editing,
My young daughter does a ton of video editing, even more than me. LOL She uses a PC. She has several editing programs but prefers Vegas.
GOODave

Post by GOODave »

tLIB wrote:
My young daughter does a ton of video editing, even more than me. LOL She uses a PC. She has several editing programs but prefers Vegas.
My oldest daughter just asked me last night at dinner what it would take for me to let her use my computer so she could get to work with Dreamweaver.

Hmmmmm
:-k

I'll have to give this some thought.