DirecTV2PC

Geek spoken here
Post Reply
not4u13
Posts: 5481
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:00 pm

DirecTV2PC

Post by not4u13 »

I recently enabled this service for DirecTV HD DVR systems. It is a bit tempermental to set up but now that it is working, it seems pretty cool. We'll try it out over the next week or so to see how it goes. The idea is that with your DirecTV system connected to your home network and software loaded on your PC, you can watch pre-recorded shows from your DVR or even DirectTV On Demand movies. They are streamed across your home network. I am using it across Wireless-G right now and the video skips for the first 30 seconds or so of the stream but seems to settle in quite nicely after that. I am also running it on a laptop with an ATI video card that uses software decoding instead of hardware decoding. That is obviously contributing to the video delay.

All in all though, it works pretty well. It is a nice way to pick up shows that aren't available on services like Hulu and still watch them whenever you want while not having to plant yourself in front of the TV. This feature is available at no additonal charge from DirecTV. All you need is a DirecTV DVR that connects to your home network.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
User avatar
Parrotpaul
Posts: 33551
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:14 pm
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: DirecTV2PC

Post by Parrotpaul »

I have been considering getting the $75 box Netflix offers that hooks into the TV...it allows you to download all the Netflix movies you want for like nine bucks a month. Our cable system is dedicated to Laguna Woods Village, and the Blockbusters around here are all closing. I'm not thrilled with using the mail for getting Netflix films, but this apparatus is interesting.

Has anyone had any experience with this device?

The system you have also sounds very cool, but we don't have Direct TV service.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
not4u13
Posts: 5481
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:00 pm

Re: DirecTV2PC

Post by not4u13 »

Parrotpaul wrote:I have been considering getting the $75 box Netflix offers that hooks into the TV...it allows you to download all the Netflix movies you want for like nine bucks a month. Our cable system is dedicated to Laguna Woods Village, and the Blockbusters around here are all closing. I'm not thrilled with using the mail for getting Netflix films, but this apparatus is interesting.

Has anyone had any experience with this device?

The system you have also sounds very cool, but we don't have Direct TV service.
I have a Blueray player with Netflix streaming service. You can experiment with it for free by registering your computer as a Netflix streaming device. They don't have all the movies available for streaming. While there are quite a few movies, the selection is limited. The quality will not be what you are used to if you typically watch movies using a blueray player either. Depending on your connection speed to the Internet, you may be lucky to get DVD quality. I sometimes notice that when someone else in the house is playing xBox Live games while I am trying to watch a streaming movie, the quality degrades, even though I have an upgraded cable modem connection speed through Time Warner. If I am the only one using the Internet in our house, then the movie quality is quite good.

That said, it is an interesting option and I have enjoyed more than a few movies using the Netflix streaming service. I have the Samsung Blueray from Costco. It requires a wired connection to the Internet, although more expensive players do support wireless.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
User avatar
Parrotpaul
Posts: 33551
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:14 pm
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: DirecTV2PC

Post by Parrotpaul »

not4u13 wrote: I have a Blueray player with Netflix streaming service. You can experiment with it for free by registering your computer as a Netflix streaming device. They don't have all the movies available for streaming. While there are quite a few movies, the selection is limited. The quality will not be what you are used to if you typically watch movies using a blueray player either. Depending on your connection speed to the Internet, you may be lucky to get DVD quality. I sometimes notice that when someone else in the house is playing xBox Live games while I am trying to watch a streaming movie, the quality degrades, even though I have an upgraded cable modem connection speed through Time Warner. If I am the only one using the Internet in our house, then the movie quality is quite good.

That said, it is an interesting option and I have enjoyed more than a few movies using the Netflix streaming service. I have the Samsung Blueray from Costco. It requires a wired connection to the Internet, although more expensive players do support wireless.
Thanks for that info...unfortunately we have a Panasonic Blue Ray and it is not Netflix capable. That said you have convinced me of something I have always had problems with....streaming. Looks like for right now, Netflix mail service is our only "practical" option.

Is anyone familar with both the Blockbuster and Netflix mail service? Which would you recommend? We once used Netflix mail and really had pretty good service, but a Blockbuster opened about 1/4 mile away...that is now closed....as are all the others in the area.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: DirecTV2PC

Post by GOODave »

Parrotpaul wrote:I have been considering getting the $75 box Netflix offers that hooks into the TV...it allows you to download all the Netflix movies you want for like nine bucks a month. Our cable system is dedicated to Laguna Woods Village, and the Blockbusters around here are all closing. I'm not thrilled with using the mail for getting Netflix films, but this apparatus is interesting.

Has anyone had any experience with this device?

The system you have also sounds very cool, but we don't have Direct TV service.
I don't have the experience with it, but I will be interested in your thoughts if you decide to try it. I've been thinking along the same lines, myself. I only watch a couple of series and I can get them on DVD ... History Channel and DIscovery Channel and other "shows" are already available through Hulu or similar service: I'm starting to seriously question the monthly cash outlay for the Cable.

However, I do have to be careful since I get the broadband from the same company and wrapped in the same contract.
User avatar
Logic.in.LN
Posts: 971
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:09 pm

Re: DirecTV2PC

Post by Logic.in.LN »

Parrotpaul wrote: Thanks for that info...unfortunately we have a Panasonic Blue Ray and it is not Netflix capable. That said you have convinced me of something I have always had problems with....streaming. Looks like for right now, Netflix mail service is our only "practical" option.

Is anyone familar with both the Blockbuster and Netflix mail service? Which would you recommend? We once used Netflix mail and really had pretty good service, but a Blockbuster opened about 1/4 mile away...that is now closed....as are all the others in the area.
We have used netflix for 6 months or so. There are various options depending on how many movies you want to have at one time. We went with one at a time and have been very happy with the service. The turn around is very fast - mail the old one in on day 1 and have a new one in the mail on day 3. Can't get faster than that.

We are looking at getting a Samsung bluray that will stream wirelessly. I think the one from Costco does do wireless but you need the extra dongle (~$79). We have streamed a few movies on the computer and our 1.5mbs speed does fine on the 20" monitor.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former”
– Albert Einstein


Government - If you think the problems we create are bad, jut wait until you see our solutions.
not4u13
Posts: 5481
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:00 pm

Re: DirecTV2PC

Post by not4u13 »

I was tinkering a bit with the DirecTV On Demand feature yesterday. It is similar to NetFlix streaming but with an interesting twist. The shows you select are not actually streamed live but downloaded to your DVR disk where you see them listed along with recorded content. They have some shows that are listed as 1080p quality. Like NetFlix you can see movies or TV programs but unlike NetFlix there is no flat fee. While some programs are free, several of the movies are a "24 hour rental". The price seems to be around $5.99. I think that is a bit too much when you can get a movie from RedBox for a dollar. (http://www.redbox.com/).

If you've never heard of or used RedBox, you should check into it.

I just looked up District 9. It showed me all of the RedBox locations where the movie is not already checked out, inlcuding a map. You reserve the movie on-line with your credit card then go to that redbox location and swipe your card to get your movie. The cost is $1.00 per day, plus tax. Just return the movie by 9pm the evening after your rental and the charge is only a dollar ($1.09 in the OC).

It is not nearly as convenient as streaming but it is pretty close and a very good alternative to Blockbuster (and my have been the final nail in the Blockbuster coffin). Many of the machines are available 24x7 and you can return a rented DVD to ANY redbox kiosk.

For more information, check out this article from 2007.
http://washington-post-news.newslib.com ... 9-3238030/

A more recent article can be found here. This article also offers an explanation why you can't always get the latest release via NetFlix streaming or RedBox.

http://newteevee.com/2009/08/12/redbox- ... ainst-fox/
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/2 ... htm?csp=34
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
User avatar
Parrotpaul
Posts: 33551
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:14 pm
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: DirecTV2PC

Post by Parrotpaul »

not4u13 wrote:I was tinkering a bit with the DirecTV On Demand feature yesterday. It is similar to NetFlix streaming but with an interesting twist. The shows you select are not actually streamed live but downloaded to your DVR disk where you see them listed along with recorded content. They have some shows that are listed as 1080p quality. Like NetFlix you can see movies or TV programs but unlike NetFlix there is no flat fee. While some programs are free, several of the movies are a "24 hour rental". The price seems to be around $5.99. I think that is a bit too much when you can get a movie from RedBox for a dollar. (http://www.redbox.com/).

If you've never heard of or used RedBox, you should check into it.
Thanks, not4u.....I completely forgot about Red Box....there is one about 1/4 mile from me at Stater Bros on El Toro. I just logged onto their site, registered, and ordered "Inglorious Basterds." The film is reserved for me until 9:30 PM tomorrow night. I can walk to Stater Bros, and it cost only $1.09. I'm headed over there now to get the flick. Be right back.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
User avatar
Parrotpaul
Posts: 33551
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:14 pm
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: DirecTV2PC

Post by Parrotpaul »

not4u13 wrote:I was tinkering a bit with the DirecTV On Demand feature yesterday. It is similar to NetFlix streaming but with an interesting twist. The shows you select are not actually streamed live but downloaded to your DVR disk where you see them listed along with recorded content. They have some shows that are listed as 1080p quality. Like NetFlix you can see movies or TV programs but unlike NetFlix there is no flat fee. While some programs are free, several of the movies are a "24 hour rental". The price seems to be around $5.99. I think that is a bit too much when you can get a movie from RedBox for a dollar. (http://www.redbox.com/).

If you've never heard of or used RedBox, you should check into it.
Parrotpaul wrote:Thanks, not4u.....I completely forgot about Red Box....there is one about 1/4 mile from me at Stater Bros on El Toro. I just logged onto their site, registered, and ordered "Inglorious Basterds." The film is reserved for me until 9:30 PM tomorrow night. I can walk to Stater Bros, and it cost only $1.09. I'm headed over there now to get the flick. Be right back.
Cool...got the film and two pounds of fresh cherries. Thanks again, not4u....excellent alternative and CHEAP!!!!!!
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
not4u13
Posts: 5481
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:00 pm

Re: DirecTV2PC

Post by not4u13 »

Parrotpaul wrote: Cool...got the film and two pounds of fresh cherries. Thanks again, not4u....excellent alternative and CHEAP!!!!!!
Nice!

I just discovered something else. I had an update waiting for me on my Samsung BlueRay player and applied it. When the system restarted I had two new options .... Blockbuster and YouTube. I went out and looked at what Blockbuster had to offer and their on-demand is much more reasonable than the DirecTV version. Many of the same shows, but only $3.99 instead of $5.99 ... for the SAME movie.

The difference with the Blockbuster option and Netflix is that Blockbuster is a pay as you go for their on demand content. Netflix gives you unlimited streaming for the $10 per month price.

Lots of options out there but Redbox seems to be the best overall value.

I've got $20 in Blockbuster gift cards I have to figure out what to do with now.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
User avatar
Parrotpaul
Posts: 33551
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:14 pm
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: DirecTV2PC

Post by Parrotpaul »

not4u13 wrote:
I've got $20 in Blockbuster gift cards I have to figure out what to do with now.
You could give them to other folks as gifts. :cheers:
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: DirecTV2PC

Post by GOODave »

not4u13 wrote:
Nice!

I just discovered something else. I had an update waiting for me on my Samsung BlueRay player and applied it. When the system restarted I had two new options .... Blockbuster and YouTube. I went out and looked at what Blockbuster had to offer and their on-demand is much more reasonable than the DirecTV version. Many of the same shows, but only $3.99 instead of $5.99 ... for the SAME movie.

The difference with the Blockbuster option and Netflix is that Blockbuster is a pay as you go for their on demand content. Netflix gives you unlimited streaming for the $10 per month price.

Lots of options out there but Redbox seems to be the best overall value.

I've got $20 in Blockbuster gift cards I have to figure out what to do with now.
Did I ever tell you guys about the Blockbuster right across the street from work?
:-"
User avatar
Parrotpaul
Posts: 33551
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:14 pm
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: DirecTV2PC

Post by Parrotpaul »

Not4u...I have to again thank you for the Redbox suggestion.

Just got back from Stater Bros...picked up two pre-ordered current DVD's, one dozen long-stem roses for the bride, and two large Starbucks "bold" coffees. $16.00.......a terrific buy and a great investment.....the roses ensure a terrific New Year's Eve.

Happy New Year!!!!

May 2010 find you healthy, happy, and successful.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
Post Reply