HistoricAerials.com

Geek spoken here
John Q. Public
Site Admin

HistoricAerials.com

Post by John Q. Public »

Cool site. Like the name says, it's aerial photographs dating from fairly current back to, sometimes, the '40s. Fascinating. You can see what used to be where and whether your neighborhood used to be an orchard, a farm or just a hill.

One I thought was interesting was to find Disneyland and then click on "1953." And for the drag racing fans, find where Barranca Parkway crosses over the I-5, click on "1972" and you'll see where OCIR used to be. Scroll down a little more and you'll see the dirt track that used to be at Lake Forest and the I-5.

Sometimes I get the feeling that I'm the long-lost Thomas Brother or maybe I was a cartographer in a past life, but I can waste a whole lot of time here.

http://www.historicaerials.com/
Don't look at me, I just work here.
SoMelo

Re: HistoricAerials.com

Post by SoMelo »

Way cool... Thanks JQP
In 1953 the house 2 doors over from me wasn't built yet nor the little side street that leads to the elementary school (which means the parents couldn't drive like idiots in the morning to get there!)
Mrs. Kravitz

Post by Mrs. Kravitz »

Very cool, JohnQ!

I was able to locate our house in California and the one here in the Puget Sound area as well. And the current photos are fairly recent it seems. Our house here in Washington shows our new fence around the property plus my husband's recent car, so that picture was taken sometime after June 2009.

The historical photos showed what we had suspected: The one humungous tree in our backyard here in Washington has been here forever. lol! The size has changed little from the 1930's. It was interesting to see, too, that the property behind us use to be part of ours. The fence line shows in the older photos.

Thanks for sharing this!
:: Mrs. Kravitz ::
sbayhills

Post by sbayhills »

That was a lot of fun.
ND7

Post by ND7 »

sbayhills wrote:That was a lot of fun.
:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:
"What matters is not that it's true, but that I believe it; or no, not that I believe it, but that I believe it....I trust I make myself obscure."
St. Thomas More, A Man for All Seasons.
edisonfan

Post by edisonfan »

Here is another site that is capturing a historical (then and now) approach with Digital Photographs, taken from a Helicopter, of the entire California Coastline, frame by frame.

I believe the Husband takes the Photos, and the Wife flies the Helicopter.

Ken Dixon of Surfer Magazine interviewed Ken Adelman, the Photographer.
http://www.surfermag.com/features/onewo ... coastline/

These are great high resolution digital Photos. There is usually a larger image shown, in the center, when you click on a point, anywhere on the coastline sillhouette. Then you can go left or right, from the center, 1 frame at a time. If you double left-click on the large picture in the center, it will blow up to a huge picture. You can make out people walking along the Beaches.

CALIFORNIA COASTAL RECORDS PROJECT
http://www.californiacoastline.org/cgi- ... ar=current

The Url is set to "Garbage" (Ladera St.), out on Sunset Cliffs - a locals Surf Spot, back in the day.

5 frames to the Southeast (right) is a Baseball Field at Pt. Loma Nazarene University. A groundskeeper is mowing lawn, and a guy at the centerfield fence catching the view of Surf.

If you click on "NEW LOOKUP" at the top of the page, it will take you to the Coastline Sillhouette. Click any point on the sillhouette, and you will get a new Photo.
GOODave

Post by GOODave »

I like bing's maps, better.

Type in an address or even a city, select "Aerial View" and from the drop down, select "Bird's Eye."

Once you get down close, you can hit the orientation buttons on the left for a 360 view.
SoMelo

Post by SoMelo »

GOODave wrote:I like bing's maps, better.

Type in an address or even a city, select "Aerial View" and from the drop down, select "Bird's Eye."

Once you get down close, you can hit the orientation buttons on the left for a 360 view.
Does it show you what the the property was in 1953 or 1972?
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

edisonfan wrote:5 frames to the Southeast (right) is a Baseball Field at Pt. Loma Nazarene University. A groundskeeper is mowing lawn, and a guy at the centerfield fence catching the view of Surf.

If you click on "NEW LOOKUP" at the top of the page, it will take you to the Coastline Sillhouette. Click any point on the sillhouette, and you will get a new Photo.
And if you scroll up to somewhere around Pt. Dume you'll see a picture of Barbra Streisand's house, which she sued them for publishing. Thankfully, the judge ruled for the defendants.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
GOODave

Post by GOODave »

SoMelo wrote: Does it show you what the the property was in 1953 or 1972?
No.
Seadog

Post by Seadog »

Google Earth has the same thing. On the Google Earth tool bar it is under View then Historical imagery. Depending on the area you can pick the date to go back to on the time/date slider. Also under tools it has a Flight simulator. All you do is pick the airport you want to fly from and off you go.
"Todo lo que necesitamos es ganas"
("All we need is the want")
"Stand and Deliver"