Time for a new cell phone

Geek spoken here
not4u13
Posts: 5481
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:00 pm

Time for a new cell phone

Post by not4u13 »

I'm on Verizon and my contract is up. I get a $100 credit towards a new phone plus the 2-year contract price which means I can get a Droid for $99 or a Palm Pre Plus for $49 ... and so on.

I looked at cnet reviews for a bunch of the phones out there and I really like the Droid but I'm leaning toward the Palm. Both of these require the $30 data plan.

Now I've noticed something else about Verizon. They started to require a $10 data plan with some of their 3G phones. The LG enV3 for example. This just seems silly to me. We have a family plan and choose not to pay extra for a data plan and have 2 of these enV3 phones on the plan already, but any new 3G phones will require this extra $10 plan.

Curious to hear what you people seem to like.

Considerations for regular phones are:
Motorola Rival
Samsung Intensity
LG enV3

Considerations for smartphones are:
Motorola Droid
Palm Pre Plus

Thoughts??
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
User avatar
SoMelo
Posts: 12322
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Time for a new cell phone

Post by SoMelo »

not4u13 wrote:I'm on Verizon and my contract is up. I get a $100 credit towards a new phone plus the 2-year contract price which means I can get a Droid for $99 or a Palm Pre Plus for $49 ... and so on.

I looked at cnet reviews for a bunch of the phones out there and I really like the Droid but I'm leaning toward the Palm. Both of these require the $30 data plan.

Now I've noticed something else about Verizon. They started to require a $10 data plan with some of their 3G phones. The LG enV3 for example. This just seems silly to me. We have a family plan and choose not to pay extra for a data plan and have 2 of these enV3 phones on the plan already, but any new 3G phones will require this extra $10 plan.

Curious to hear what you people seem to like.

Considerations for regular phones are:
Motorola Rival
Samsung Intensity
LG enV3

Considerations for smartphones are:
Motorola Droid
Palm Pre Plus

Thoughts??
My contract is also up with Verizon and I'm not happy about the new plans.
One of the things I am considering is buying a Verizon phone (probably refurbished) from ebay and then just activate it and bypass the data plan.
I ordered the Rival but returned it, as with the Droid, they have the smaller keyboard and you have to use the shift key to enter numbers. I use the number keys too much to use it, also the Rival doesn't have a touch screen.
If you don't use the internet a lot the $30 plan is a waste. The enV looks just like my Voyager. If I was going to get any of their phones right now it would be the Samsung Rogue, but I'm going to hold out a few more months just to see if they have anything better coming out.
User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: Time for a new cell phone

Post by GOODave »

You've probably already done all this, but for me it came down to "wants" vs. "needs" and all that I really use a cell phone for is, well, a cell phone. My wife got me a Palm Centro which is billed as similar to the pre, but it's not really unless you consider a Taurus similar to a Buick Century: Both are cars, of course, but the difference is in the programs and the extras.

The Centro has all the stuff a cell phone (that is used pretty much exclusively as a cell phone) needs: Contacts, speed dials, call logs. Plus it has a bunch of extra stuff if I want to pay for the data package (and I don't). I can watch TV on it, send and receive e-mail from my e-mail account (my regular one), games (of course) and music downloads (I can upload music to it as-is, if that is my inclination).

When it came right down to it, --:-- I don't really use a cell phone for much, but I do realize a lot of folks DO use it for a lot of other stuff.

OH, and btw, the 1.5 mpxl camera that comes with it really REALLY sucks. :x
User avatar
John Q. Public
Site Admin
Posts: 20856
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:56 am
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Time for a new cell phone

Post by John Q. Public »

Do any of these smartphones come with... like... instructions???

The Foreign Babe got a T-Mobile myTouch w/Android and lots of cool features - but it didn't come with any kind of book. They told her, "Well, you can look it up on the web and print it out if you like." It was a 150-page PDF, so it would have cost her a new ream of paper, a printer cartridge and a binder to print her instructions. And since she doesn't have an especially high level of patience, trying to read it on her laptop, or the phone, didn't sound like a good idea, either. Plus, it didn't understand her accent, so she'd try to call me and she'd get her friend Gabi instead.

The phone didn't last a week.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
User avatar
SoMelo
Posts: 12322
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Time for a new cell phone

Post by SoMelo »

John Q. Public wrote:Do any of these smartphones come with... like... instructions???

The Foreign Babe got a T-Mobile myTouch w/Android and lots of cool features - but it didn't come with any kind of book. They told her, "Well, you can look it up on the web and print it out if you like." It was a 150-page PDF, so it would have cost her a new ream of paper, a printer cartridge and a binder to print her instructions. And since she doesn't have an especially high level of patience, trying to read it on her laptop, or the phone, didn't sound like a good idea, either. Plus, it didn't understand her accent, so she'd try to call me and she'd get her friend Gabi instead.

The phone didn't last a week.
I don't blame her, I gave up reading instructions a year ago. If I can't figure it out or don't want to pay someone to figure it out for me, I don't need it. (good thing I don't have to assemble anything for my kids anymore)
not4u13
Posts: 5481
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:00 pm

Re: Time for a new cell phone

Post by not4u13 »

I ended up purchasing the Palm Pre Plus for me plus an LG env3 and a Samsung Intensity. I paid nothing for any of the hardware, but had to add the plans and agree to a new two year term.

The real reason I want a smartphone is for mail and calendar, but I also want a browser. Plus, I discovered a cool app called "My Tether" for the Palm OS. With that app I can use the phone as a modem for my laptop.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: Time for a new cell phone

Post by kramer »

not4u13 wrote:
The real reason I want a smartphone is for mail and calendar, but I also want a browser.
I got my first smartphone a little over a year ago and it of course has a browser and I can also read my email. At the time, I didn't think much of having these features but now that I have them, I can't picture myself without a smartphone.

When I got the smartphone, I first got the samsung instinct for something like $79 dollars with a 2 year sprint contract. About 2 weeks later, I went back to bestbuy to get something for it and they had the blackberry curves for free with a 2 year contract so I decided to switch and save the $79 dollars. Looking back, that was a good decision.
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock
User avatar
SoMelo
Posts: 12322
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Time for a new cell phone

Post by SoMelo »

not4u13 wrote:I ended up purchasing the Palm Pre Plus for me plus an LG env3 and a Samsung Intensity. I paid nothing for any of the hardware, but had to add the plans and agree to a new two year term.

The real reason I want a smartphone is for mail and calendar, but I also want a browser. Plus, I discovered a cool app called "My Tether" for the Palm OS. With that app I can use the phone as a modem for my laptop.
I broke down and ordered the new Motorola Devour with Motoblur (not sure what the hell motoblur is yet).. Very similar to the Droid BUT it has 4 line keyboard
Attachments
motorola-devour.jpg
User avatar
Notorious
Posts: 11909
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:56 am

Re: Time for a new cell phone

Post by Notorious »

Have any of you heard if/when the nexus one will be coming to verizon?
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch
not4u13
Posts: 5481
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:00 pm

Re: Time for a new cell phone

Post by not4u13 »

SoMelo wrote: I broke down and ordered the new Motorola Devour with Motoblur (not sure what the hell motoblur is yet).. Very similar to the Droid BUT it has 4 line keyboard
This should be a good phone. Funny thing is that this particular phone was one of the reasons I chose Palm instead of the Droid. This Devour is cheaper than the Droid but what was surprising to me is that it is a NEW device that is running on the OLDER Android 1.6 operating system. It caused me to stop and think why Motorola, who is supporting Android 2.0 with its Droid phone would also support the older Android 1.6? It tells me that Google plans on keeping 1.6 AND 2.0 in production for some time.

Compare that to the WEB OS from Palm. As this OS is upgraded, all devices (even older ones) are getting the upgrade. I am on version 1.4. New features and fixes are made available with each new release. The original version of the Palm Pre didn't include video capture. Now, with 1.4, all of the phones (including the older ones) have video capture.

I think the Devour will be a great phone.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
not4u13
Posts: 5481
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:00 pm

Re: Time for a new cell phone

Post by not4u13 »

Notorious wrote:Have any of you heard if/when the nexus one will be coming to verizon?
I had originally heard it would be April ... but I haven't heard anything lately.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
User avatar
SoMelo
Posts: 12322
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Time for a new cell phone

Post by SoMelo »

not4u13 wrote:
This should be a good phone. Funny thing is that this particular phone was one of the reasons I chose Palm instead of the Droid. This Devour is cheaper than the Droid but what was surprising to me is that it is a NEW device that is running on the OLDER Android 1.6 operating system. It caused me to stop and think why Motorola, who is supporting Android 2.0 with its Droid phone would also support the older Android 1.6? It tells me that Google plans on keeping 1.6 AND 2.0 in production for some time.

Compare that to the WEB OS from Palm. As this OS is upgraded, all devices (even older ones) are getting the upgrade. I am on version 1.4. New features and fixes are made available with each new release. The original version of the Palm Pre didn't include video capture. Now, with 1.4, all of the phones (including the older ones) have video capture.

I think the Devour will be a great phone.
I have a month to change my mind...
RPW
Posts: 6001
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:11 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Time for a new cell phone

Post by RPW »

Droid is outstanding.
I am The Voice of Reason
User avatar
~44~
Posts: 3305
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:54 am

Re: Time for a new cell phone

Post by ~44~ »

RPW wrote:Droid is outstanding.
Love, love, love my Driod...

Pretty much a laptop...
Hi
slowyoroll
Posts: 13235
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:53 am

Re: Time for a new cell phone

Post by slowyoroll »

not4u13 wrote:I'm on Verizon and my contract is up. I get a $100 credit towards a new phone plus the 2-year contract price which means I can get a Droid for $99 or a Palm Pre Plus for $49 ... and so on.

I looked at cnet reviews for a bunch of the phones out there and I really like the Droid but I'm leaning toward the Palm. Both of these require the $30 data plan.

Now I've noticed something else about Verizon. They started to require a $10 data plan with some of their 3G phones. The LG enV3 for example. This just seems silly to me. We have a family plan and choose not to pay extra for a data plan and have 2 of these enV3 phones on the plan already, but any new 3G phones will require this extra $10 plan.

Curious to hear what you people seem to like.

Considerations for regular phones are:
Motorola Rival
Samsung Intensity
LG enV3

Considerations for smartphones are:
Motorola Droid
Palm Pre Plus

Thoughts??
I haven't seen the Palm up close but I absolutely love
my new blackberry Curve..It's not too big like many of the
other Blackberry's
"IF YOU'RE NOT RICH, IF YOU DON'T HAVE A JOB DON'T BLAME WALL STREET BLAME YOURSELF!"

HERMAN CAIN

IDIOT
RPW
Posts: 6001
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:11 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Time for a new cell phone

Post by RPW »

You can never be lost with a Droid. I heard you can download Snoop Dog for your turn by turn navigation voice. Keep it real in the LBC.
Last edited by RPW on Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am The Voice of Reason
User avatar
SoMelo
Posts: 12322
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Time for a new cell phone

Post by SoMelo »

RPW wrote:Droid is outstanding.
I wanted a keyboard I didn't have to hit the shift key to enter numbers...
User avatar
SoMelo
Posts: 12322
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Time for a new cell phone

Post by SoMelo »

RPW wrote:
Love, love, love my Driod...




You can never be lost with a Droid. I heard you can download Snoop Dog for your turn by turn navigation voice. Keep it real in the LBC.
I'd love to hear his directions to Roscoe's
RPW
Posts: 6001
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:11 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Time for a new cell phone

Post by RPW »

Acutally I am thinking the cell phone will be phased out soon. Too many high profile people are getting jacked by year old text messages coming back to kick them in the nuts.
I am The Voice of Reason
not4u13
Posts: 5481
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:00 pm

Re: Time for a new cell phone

Post by not4u13 »

kicks2 wrote:
I haven't seen the Palm up close but I absolutely love
my new blackberry Curve..It's not too big like many of the
other Blackberry's
I chose the Palm over the Curve and the Droid for a few reasons.

First, I like the form factor. It is smaller than the other two and smaller than the iPhone.
Second, the screen on the palm is much better than the curve. It is vibrant and it is bigger.
I also like the wifi capability that doesn't seem to be there in the Droid. I know this sounds strange, but at my desk at work, I can't get a cell signal, but I can get a wifi signal. So, at least I can use my phone for an Internet device, even if I can't get a phone call.

The keypad is really small and that is a bit of pain sometimes. Even though I don't have separate number keys, I do find that context sensative areas automatically switch between numbers and letters. For example, I have a tip calculator application I downloaded. Because it expects numbers, I don't have to use the shift key to enter the number. I can just use it like a number keypad. Same is true when entering phone numbers.

I don't like the lack of voice dialing (a big miss in my mind) and there are some other things I'm not quite used to yet, but overall, this thing is pretty sweet.

Anyone thinking of buying one, let me know and I'll answer any questions you have based on my own experiences. You can't trust the sales people and soemtimes those reviews just don't get to your specific questions.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
Post Reply