Time for a new cell phone

Geek spoken here
Ramon

Re: Time for a new cell phone

Post by Ramon »

I just got my better half a HTC Tilt 2 from AT&T…It’s working awesome! We have it set up to Active Sync at her work and all the Contacts and Calendar items synced perfectly…You should try this phone out…It’s iPhone fast…But business friendly with it’s Microsoft Mobile capabilities!
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
Back to Back CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions
Ramon

Post by Ramon »

RPW wrote:

One of the greatest features on the Droid:

You can select who on your contact list will go directly to voicemail when they call you.
You can get that for any phone for free if you get Google Voice...Try it out...It rocks!
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
Back to Back CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions
slowyoroll

Post by slowyoroll »

SoMelo wrote: Do they also get a text reply that it is no longer valid? That would be the best
No no text..check out the website though..the recordings are awesome..
Just go to "greetings"
"IF YOU'RE NOT RICH, IF YOU DON'T HAVE A JOB DON'T BLAME WALL STREET BLAME YOURSELF!"

HERMAN CAIN

IDIOT
ThomasDad

Post by ThomasDad »

John Q. Public wrote:Do any of these smartphones come with... like... instructions???

The Foreign Babe got a T-Mobile myTouch w/Android and lots of cool features - but it didn't come with any kind of book. They told her, "Well, you can look it up on the web and print it out if you like." It was a 150-page PDF, so it would have cost her a new ream of paper, a printer cartridge and a binder to print her instructions. And since she doesn't have an especially high level of patience, trying to read it on her laptop, or the phone, didn't sound like a good idea, either. Plus, it didn't understand her accent, so she'd try to call me and she'd get her friend Gabi instead.

The phone didn't last a week.
Sorry she didn't like it. I have one (from eBay) and love it. It didn't come with a manual, either, but the PDF is really the smarter way to go, since you can word search a PDF in the way you can't a paper version of same. With the incredible length of some of these manuals, the electronic version is really the better way to go.

The Android OS is still a little raw in the "donut" iteration (v 1.6), but very workable. I will be getting a free OS upgrade to "eclair" (v 2.1) in the next month or so, and that will be very interesting to see how the OS has changed.

Great free apps available include "Talk to Me", which stitches together the speech-to-text and text-to-speech engines built into Android, and creates a portable language translation device. Speak a word or phrase into the phone ("How much are these peaches?", "I would like to feed your fingertips to the wolverines") and the program will provide a mechanical translation (into French, Spanish or German) within seconds, both on the screen of the phone AND spoken on the external speaker.

In fact the speech to text engine is surprisingly robust and a centerpiece to many apps, including search. On the Google search page, one has the option of speaking the word or phrase being sought. It is astonishing how accurate it is in translating words into text, then searching those words, all within a few seconds. It becomes simply easier to ask the phone a question and search than to type in the question through the soft keyboard. This is especially handy when using the Google Navigation, an incredible FREE turn-by-turn nav program; one can simply speak the address being sought, and the program will translate the request into text, then search and locate that text on the map, the solve the navigation solution and begin the navigation with built-in GPS, all in the matter of a few seconds.

The shopping apps are off the hook too. So many times when the wife and I are shopping, I can scan the bar code of the item she's looking at and within seconds know (A) what the lowest price online will be, and (B) what the lowest price is in the immediate vicinity of where I am that moment.

Similarly, the Amazon app for Android allows me to photograph an item I am seeking and send it to Amazon, and within seconds I get a reply telling me how much they sell that item for. I have saved the cost of the phone itself though these two apps alone.
Last edited by ThomasDad on Tue May 11, 2010 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThomasDad

Post by ThomasDad »

RPW wrote: One of the greatest features on the Droid:

You can select who on your contact list will go directly to voicemail when they call you.
That feature is on any Android phone. In the contact info for each entry, there is a check box which will direct all calls from that contact immediately into VM.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

ThomasDad wrote:In fact the speech to text engine is surprisingly robust and a centerpiece to many apps, including search. On the Google search page, one has the option of speaking the word or phrase being sought. It is astonishing how accurate it is in translating words into text, then searching those words, all within a few seconds. It becomes simply easier to ask the phone a question and search than to type in the question through the soft keyboard. This is especially handy when using the Google Navigation, an incredible FREE turn-by-turn nav program; one can simply speak the address being sought, and the program will translate the request into text, then search and locate that text on the map, the solve the navigation solution and begin the navigation with built-in GPS, all in the matter of a few seconds.
With the amount of trouble the voice dialer had with her accent, I'd hate to imagine where the GPS would send her. :shock:

Sounds like a good device if you take the time to figure it out. But unfortunately, patience isn't one of the FB's strong points.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
SoMelo

Post by SoMelo »

John Q. Public wrote:Do any of these smartphones come with... like... instructions???

The Foreign Babe got a T-Mobile myTouch w/Android and lots of cool features - but it didn't come with any kind of book. They told her, "Well, you can look it up on the web and print it out if you like." It was a 150-page PDF, so it would have cost her a new ream of paper, a printer cartridge and a binder to print her instructions. And since she doesn't have an especially high level of patience, trying to read it on her laptop, or the phone, didn't sound like a good idea, either. Plus, it didn't understand her accent, so she'd try to call me and she'd get her friend Gabi instead.

The phone didn't last a week.
My advice... Find a teenager. My son has my Incredible all figured out and just shows me what I need to know and how to do it... Can't wait to attend a concert so I can hold up my phone with the Bic light :wink:
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

SoMelo wrote:Can't wait to attend a concert so I can hold up my phone with the Bic light :wink:
Here's one. We're probably going on Saturday.

No commission or anything. I just wanted to use the banner link.
SoMelo

Post by SoMelo »

John Q. Public wrote: Here's one. We're probably going on Saturday.

No commission or anything. I just wanted to use the banner link.
Listening to Blues is too painful for me. I would take the Bic and try to burn myself. I wonder if they have a novocain app? :-k
Notorious

Post by Notorious »

Got my phone back, got real lucky.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch
SoMelo

Post by SoMelo »

Notorious wrote:Got my phone back, got real lucky.
Damn lucky!! Hope you turned the locator on
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

SoMelo wrote: Listening to Blues is too painful for me. I would take the Bic and try to burn myself. I wonder if they have a novocain app? :-k
:eh?: How could anybody not like the Blues??? That's just downright un-American.
ThomasDad

Post by ThomasDad »

John Q. Public wrote: :eh?: How could anybody not like the Blues??? That's just downright un-American.
Oh, the blues give me a headache
My head is in such pain
I said, the blues give me a headache
My head is in such pain
I don't think I'll get no relief, now
My Advil just rolled down the drain

~Deaf Boy Baker, legend of the Wisconsin blues circuit
GOODave

Post by GOODave »

John Q. Public wrote: :eh?: How could anybody not like the Blues??? That's just downright un-American.
I don't like anything whiney ...

(OH, I so want creds for NOT mentioning specific names here)

:lol:
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

Notorious wrote:Got my phone back, got real lucky.
Sweeeet!
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
SoMelo

Post by SoMelo »

I was also invited to Missa brevis - Sancti Joannis de Deo, featuring the St. Edward Combined Choir Solisit and Orchestra (yeah all in latin) at St. Edward the Confessor on Saturday.
Thank God my son is going to his senior prom (I'm sure he'll need help with his tie or something) :roll:
GOODave

Post by GOODave »

ThomasDad wrote: Oh, the blues give me a headache
My head is in such pain
I said, the blues give me a headache
My head is in such pain
I don't think I'll get no relief, now
My Advil just rolled down the drain

~Deaf Boy Baker, legend of the Wisconsin blues circuit
I cut down trees, I skip and jump
I love to press wild flow'rs
I put on women's clothing
And hang around in bars
He cuts down trees...
He's a lumberjack...

I cut down trees, I wear high heels
Suspendies and a bra
I wish I'd been a girlie
Just like my dear papa
He cuts down trees...
He's a lumberjack...
SoMelo

Post by SoMelo »

kicks2 wrote:
You can use it on any phone I think but the best app ever is "youmail"
you can choose from a long list of greeting that you want to go to each number..
my favorite is the "disconnect" some fool kept calling me so I plugged his number in
now whenever he tries to call he will think my number is disconnected..

See ..youmail.com..it's awesome
This feature is awesome!!! After ignoring several texts from my ex he finally called and got the disconnected message. He tried to get the new # from my kids... I love technology :ROFL:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
blackandyellow

Post by blackandyellow »

I too want a new smartphone! Hopefully I can save up for an HTC Amaze or Sensation. Planning to buy an unlocked version, not the ones tied up with a provided for several years.
slowyoroll

Post by slowyoroll »

blackandyellow wrote:I too want a new smartphone! Hopefully I can save up for an HTC Amaze or Sensation. Planning to buy an unlocked version, not the ones tied up with a provided for several years.
I believe the Amaze is the same as my 4g mytouch except I have a slide out keyboard..love it..I can't think of anything my phone doesn't do..and they are Androids..smartphones went out with 3g..lol
"IF YOU'RE NOT RICH, IF YOU DON'T HAVE A JOB DON'T BLAME WALL STREET BLAME YOURSELF!"

HERMAN CAIN

IDIOT