Now, this is a cool device

Geek spoken here
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Now, this is a cool device

Post by John Q. Public »

The Radio Bookmark

How many times have you been listening to an interesting story or heard a song on the radio but you couldn't hang around to hear the end or find out the name of the artist? (NPR calls them "driveway moments") Well, with this little keychain USB device, you simply press a button, plug the device into your computer when you have time and it brings up the show you were listening to at the time.

Only trouble is that it only works for NPR stations and 40 bucks is a lot more than a scrap of paper - or you can get one for "free" with a $120 donation to KPCC - but I'm wondering if it might become available for other stations or if a tunable one might be in the works.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
GOODave

Re: Now, this is a cool device

Post by GOODave »

John Q. Public wrote:The Radio Bookmark

How many times have you been listening to an interesting story or heard a song on the radio but you couldn't hang around to hear the end or find out the name of the artist? (NPR calls them "driveway moments") Well, with this little keychain USB device, you simply press a button, plug the device into your computer when you have time and it brings up the show you were listening to at the time.

Only trouble is that it only works for NPR stations and 40 bucks is a lot more than a scrap of paper - or you can get one for "free" with a $120 donation to KPCC - but I'm wondering if it might become available for other stations or if a tunable one might be in the works.
I get that all the time ... but I usually get to my computer and google the topic. I have (rough guesstimate) 65-70% success rate. The 30-35% I don't find again ... aw, the grapes were probably sour, anyway.

If it is only good for NPR stations, it has to be programmed somehow. If it is programmed ... can't it also be unprogrammed or reprogrammed?
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

GOODave wrote: I get that all the time ... but I usually get to my computer and google the topic. I have (rough guesstimate) 65-70% success rate. The 30-35% I don't find again ... aw, the grapes were probably sour, anyway.

If it is only good for NPR stations, it has to be programmed somehow. If it is programmed ... can't it also be unprogrammed or reprogrammed?
It's only a USB device with a couple buttons, so I'd imagine it could probably be easily hacked. Except plugging it in to your computer brings up "your own personal web page" on that company's site, so the back end would be where the challenge lies.
GOODave

Post by GOODave »

John Q. Public wrote: It's only a USB device with a couple buttons, so I'd imagine it could probably be easily hacked. Except plugging it in to your computer brings up "your own personal web page" on that company's site, so the back end would be where the challenge lies.
O.K., you guys know way more about this than I do ... but seems to me if it brings up yoru own personal web page, something in the device has to be directing it to do that ... and couldn't a different URL be plugged in to direct it to, say, KZLA or something?

I think you're right: SHouldn't be that big a challenge to hack. I think even Internet Explorer (et al) can be scripted to take you to OCConnect (or anywhere else) any time that "personal web page" url is called up, can't it?
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

GOODave wrote: O.K., you guys know way more about this than I do ... but seems to me if it brings up yoru own personal web page, something in the device has to be directing it to do that ... and couldn't a different URL be plugged in to direct it to, say, KZLA or something?

I think you're right: SHouldn't be that big a challenge to hack. I think even Internet Explorer (et al) can be scripted to take you to OCConnect (or anywhere else) any time that "personal web page" url is called up, can't it?
The device probably just records something like the date and time. The back end would probably then interpret what was on your pre-registered local station at that time and then link to it. I imagine you could reprogram it to connect to a page that you would have to create to do all that but it sounds like an awful lot of trouble.
GOODave

Post by GOODave »

John Q. Public wrote: The device probably just records something like the date and time. The back end would probably then interpret what was on your pre-registered local station at that time and then link to it. I imagine you could reprogram it to connect to a page that you would have to create to do all that but it sounds like an awful lot of trouble.
:lol:

Yeah, it does.

Probably only worth it to someone who simply wants to show everyone he (or she) can do it.
Fordama

Post by Fordama »

What bugs me now is what I call the "tivo effect." You sit and watch a show--when something is said or done that you want to hear or see again, you quickly back it up to see it again.

Then you're listening to the radio, and something slips by and you start to reach for the radio to back it up and hear it again!

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK
e. rosewater

Post by e. rosewater »

Fordama wrote: Then you're listening to the radio, and something slips by and you start to reach for the radio to back it up and hear it again!

Fordama
I have a Pioneer XMp3. It has that capability.

No commercials, no idiot DJ's. I love satellite radio.
What hypocrisy looks like.

Link
blackandyellow

Post by blackandyellow »

I always have driveway moments. Wonder if this device is available where I live.
Red

Post by Red »

e. rosewater wrote: I have a Pioneer XMp3. It has that capability.

No commercials, no idiot DJ's. I love satellite radio.
What's up, wabash?
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

e. rosewater wrote: I have a Pioneer XMp3. It has that capability.

What's up, wabash?
Bored?
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke