Internet Privacy

Geek spoken here
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Internet Privacy

Post by John Q. Public »

There's been a lot written about Facebook's privacy policies lately, and for good reason. They seem to take that part about owning whatever you post a little too literally, they seem to play pretty fast and loose with what they do with it and they don't seem to have a lot of respect for the folks who've given them all their business. Here's a link to one of the latest articles I've read on it. I'm amused that the article has a "Share on Facebook" badge and also a "Such-and-such likes CBS News" box - with pictures.

I'm also amused by the "Boycott Facebook" groups - on Facebook - and the "Tell Facebook not to share your personal info" groups, which by joining, gives Facebook more personal info which they might also share with third parties.

So, I'm curious how concerned people are about such things. How much do you share on Facebook? Do you share less than you used to? What about MySpace, LinkdIn, Twitter, Classmates and other sites people commonly share personal info on? I, personally, have a page on Facebook but I rarely spend any time there. I just don't find it that fascinating. And I don't have anything on any of the others except for Classmates, which I gave my name to many years ago and now regret. And I couldn't imagine signing up for Foursquare.

What about cookies? Do you accept first-party cookies? Third-party cookies? Do you delete all of your "Tracking Cookies" when you run your anti-spyware program? I have my browsers set to accept cookies from the initiating site only but that doesn't mean a lot. I commonly click ads as a way of "tipping" sites I appreciate, so I probably pick up a lot of cookies that people more paranoid than myself might be concerned about. And I don't delete my tracking cookies. Two reasons for that: 1.) they might be there to pay commissions to one of those sites I appreciated in case I buy something from one of their sponsors*, and 2.) it might possibly help to narrow the ads I do see. If I don't click on "Secret Weight Loss Formula" ads, theoretically I won't see as many. Too bad that doesn't work with newspapers. It would be nice if I could get a Sunday paper without all those ads that go straight to the recycling bin.

What about toolbars? I have a Google one on this browser and a Yahoo one on another. And I hate to imagine how much both of them know about all of us. And I also have Alexa plug-ins on all of my browsers. I personally think that all people with web sites they want noticed should have one.

As you can see, I'm not especially paranoid about such things but I am concerned about sites that share info without my permission - especially when my real name is attached. What about you?

* I'm thinking seriously about adding some commission-type ads here. The current ads are on track to pay a whopping $2 this month. That isn't even interesting as a game.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
~44~

Re: Internet Privacy

Post by ~44~ »

This site freaks me out: http://www.spokeo.com/

They basically take ALL of your available online info and put it out there for the masses. To delete your info just go to privacy at the bottom right side of the page.
Hi
SoMelo

Post by SoMelo »

~44~ wrote:This site freaks me out: http://www.spokeo.com/

They basically take ALL of your available online info and put it out there for the masses. To delete your info just go to privacy at the bottom right side of the page.
Wow!!! My home is worth 1M+ .... :cheers:
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

I consider everything I post and write on the Internet, including Facebook, to be public. I do choose privacy settings to try and make feel a little better, but the truth is, it is public. Maybe its because I know how the Internet really works.

The exception is on-line banking and trasactions that are protected by SSL.

I have Lifelock to help protect my privacy but I understand that very little is actually private.

Oh ... and that site ... spokeo ... is pretty wrong about me too. It does have some accurate information, but that data about my home is just flat wrong. The concept behind spokeo is pretty scary I suppose, but I don't worry much about it.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

~44~ wrote:This site freaks me out: http://www.spokeo.com/

Not listed. MOF, nobody with my last name is. Although a couple friends who aren't listed in other places are there. And they did miss on one of them's education. Odd.
~44~

Post by ~44~ »

John Q. Public wrote: Not listed. MOF, nobody with my last name is. Although a couple friends who aren't listed in other places are there. And they did miss on one of them's education. Odd.
I'm not on it either, thankfully. But my Mom was and it had some very accurate info including her home address, phone #, and some other stuff. She lives alone so I was concerned. Its pretty easy to delete the account.
Hi
RPW

Post by RPW »

RPW was not listed... that is some bullsheit.
I am The Voice of Reason
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

RPW wrote:RPW was not listed... that is some bullsheit.
How come when I entered "Peter Bowen", it said "see Cockroach"?
SoMelo

Post by SoMelo »

John Q. Public wrote: Not listed. MOF, nobody with my last name is. Although a couple friends who aren't listed in other places are there. And they did miss on one of them's education. Odd.
:eh?: There is 454 John Public's
AndUR??

Post by AndUR?? »

SoMelo wrote: Wow!!! My home is worth 1M+ .... :cheers:
Same here!! :cheers:
But man did they have some things wrong about me... :ROFL:
Your are one opinion away from being replaced.
SoMelo

Post by SoMelo »

AndUR?? wrote:
Same here!! :cheers:
But man did they have some things wrong about me... :ROFL:
Yeah they don't know all... My home wasn't built in 1922, it was built in 1947 and I had a/c installed after I moved in.. Dummies.....
Ramon

Post by Ramon »

~44~ wrote:
I'm not on it either, thankfully. But my Mom was and it had some very accurate info including her home address, phone #, and some other stuff. She lives alone so I was concerned. Its pretty easy to delete the account.
Not on it...But a few people I know are...Thanks 44...They all requested to be unlisted :thumbsup:
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
Back to Back CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions
GOODave

Post by GOODave »

~44~ wrote:
Cool...

I'm on it but it shows me as a 90 year old male living with his mother ... who is younger. :eh?:

I'll bet there are SOME who will run with that info, though. :thumbsup:
Seadog

Post by Seadog »

You want internet privacy?.....Don't surf the net :ROFL: No matter what you do, they know you will be out there with some type of info on you. Just like the junk mail you get in your mail box. You subscribe to a magazine in turn they sell info to someone else.
"Todo lo que necesitamos es ganas"
("All we need is the want")
"Stand and Deliver"
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Seadog wrote:You want internet privacy?.....Don't surf the net :ROFL: No matter what you do, they know you will be out there with some type of info on you. Just like the junk mail you get in your mail box. You subscribe to a magazine in turn they sell info to someone else.
Cool. I wonder what my good friend, the Nigerian Prince would give me for 854 e-mail addies. :-k

I'M KIDDING!
SoMelo

Post by SoMelo »

John Q. Public wrote: Cool. I wonder what my good friend, the Nigerian Prince would give me for 854 e-mail addies. :-k

I'M KIDDING!
I have 2 email addresses: 1 for not really wanting to give me email address but need to for confirmation and the other for friends and such (online bills, eBay, PayPal...).
GOODave

Post by GOODave »

SoMelo wrote: I have 2 email addresses: 1 for not really wanting to give me email address but need to for confirmation and the other for friends and such (online bills, eBay, PayPal...).
Which one did you give me?

:shock:
AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

Nice, I checked and none of my family members are on that site. Too bad the IRS doesn't use that as their only source for finding people. :mrgreen:
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html
Seadog

Post by Seadog »

My son told my about that spokeo site. He found out at his work,(works for a certain P.D. as an aide) needless to say his coworkers were pissed. But like it's been said you can op out of it.
"Todo lo que necesitamos es ganas"
("All we need is the want")
"Stand and Deliver"
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

There is no agency in the world who keeps more up-to-date info on me than the University of Maine. UM has always been able to track me, my phone numbers, and a host of mailing addresses over the years. But they never send a birthday card or a holiday card...all they ever want is my money.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke