Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Geek spoken here
User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by kramer »

At least as of today...
New King of Technology: Apple Overtakes Microsoft
By MIGUEL HELFT and ASHLEE VANCE
SAN FRANCISCO — Apple, the maker of iPods, iPhones and iPads, overtook Microsoft, the computer software giant, on Wednesday to become the world’s most valuable technology company.

In intraday trading shortly after 2:30 p.m., Apple shares rose 1.8 percent, which gave the company a value of $227.1 billion. Shares of Microsoft declined about 1 percent, giving the company a market capitalization of $226.3 billion.

Apple retained the spot at the close, even as both shares declined. Microsoft dropped 4 percent to end the day with a market cap of $219.2 billion and Apple fell 1.1 percent to end at $222.1 billion.

The only American company valued higher is Exxon Mobil, with a market capitalization of $282 billion.

This changing of the guard caps one of the most stunning turnarounds in business history, as Apple had been given up for dead only a decade earlier. But the rapidly rising value attached to Apple by investors also heralds a cultural shift: Consumer tastes have overtaken the needs of business as the leading force shaping technology.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/27/techn ... nted=print
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock
User avatar
fnuts
Posts: 773
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:42 pm

Re: Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by fnuts »

Mac haters: Read it & weep.
User avatar
AsIfYouKnew
Posts: 7264
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:01 am

Re: Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

Apple is an iPod company more than a computer company. Not sure that this shows what you think it means.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html
User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by GOODave »

AsIfYouKnew wrote:Apple is an iPod company more than a computer company. Not sure that this shows what you think it means.
Uh, O.K., whatever: have it your way ...

Zune-lovers, read it and weep:
Designed to rival Apple Inc.'s iPod, Microsoft's /quotes/comstock/15*!msft/quotes/nls/msft (MSFT 25.77, -0.23, -0.88%) Zune first appeared in late 2006, but has struggled to chip away at the iPod's dominance. While Apple has morphed the iPod since its 2001 debut into a range of models including the iPod touch and iPhone, Microsoft has so far limited the Zune to a few different devices distinguished only by size and storage capacity.
OR

ZunePhone-lovers, read it and weep:
Translated: no Microsoft-style iPhone. But there will be a continuation and improvement in Microsoft's established model forged in PCs and servers of working with hardware providers. The prospect of a Microsoft phone, based on the Zune, has been a fertile source for rumors and half-reports.
OR

Microsoft's answer to the iPad-lovers, read it and weep:
Image
Whatever you or I or anyone "thinks" it means, Apple has STILL done it better than MSFT and that is STILL an amazing story for a company that was all-but-written off less than a decade ago.
User avatar
Fordama
Posts: 18200
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:12 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by Fordama »

GOODave wrote:
Uh, O.K., whatever: have it your way ...
Well, he's right and your stories proved him right. I assume that's what you were trying to do but it sure doesn't seem like it.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK
User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by GOODave »

Fordama wrote:Well, he's right and your stories proved him right. I assume that's what you were trying to do but it sure doesn't seem like it.

Fordama
You're wrong and my post proves you wrong.

So are you now going to stalk me from thread to thread just to criticize me?

Do you seriously think, given Elroy's behavior here, that bothers me?
User avatar
AsIfYouKnew
Posts: 7264
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:01 am

Re: Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

GOODave wrote:
Uh, O.K., whatever: have it your way ...

Zune-lovers, read it and weep:



OR

ZunePhone-lovers, read it and weep:


OR

Microsoft's answer to the iPad-lovers, read it and weep:



Whatever you or I or anyone "thinks" it means, Apple has STILL done it better than MSFT and that is STILL an amazing story for a company that was all-but-written off less than a decade ago.
Hey, Dave, both the stories were about "non-computer" devices. This, as Ford notices, does in fact support my point.

I have an iPod, as do a few of my kids. Buy my daughter wanted a Zune for her birthday. Reluctantly, we got that for her (sure it was going to totally screw up our iTunes collection). She LOVES the Zune. The monthly music subscription, where she can download as many songs as she wants (as long as we keep paying) is the best feature IMO.

Apple makes great products. What they make, for the most part, they make very well. However, they are not really that significant of a competitor to Microsoft anly longer, and have filled different niches in the market.

As for the iPad, it looks cool, but I still love my Kindle, and have no plans to upgrade any time soon. I love the fact that i can go weeks without a recharge. Try that on an iPad.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html
User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by GOODave »

AsIfYouKnew wrote:Hey, Dave, both the stories were about "non-computer" devices. This, as Ford notices, does in fact support my point.

I have an iPod, as do a few of my kids. Buy my daughter wanted a Zune for her birthday. Reluctantly, we got that for her (sure it was going to totally screw up our iTunes collection). She LOVES the Zune. The monthly music subscription, where she can download as many songs as she wants (as long as we keep paying) is the best feature IMO.

Apple makes great products. What they make, for the most part, they make very well. However, they are not really that significant of a competitor to Microsoft anly longer, and have filled different niches in the market.

As for the iPad, it looks cool, but I still love my Kindle, and have no plans to upgrade any time soon. I love the fact that i can go weeks without a recharge. Try that on an iPad.
But my point in responding to your post was the last line:
GOODave wrote:Apple has STILL done it better than MSFT and that is STILL an amazing story for a company that was all-but-written off less than a decade ago.
That is what I took from that story: Apple was all but finished just a few years back and it is notable, whether for computers, iPads, or iPhones (or iPods, as you pointed out) they have been able to pull it back together so significantly.

FTR, I would have the same admiration for them if they'd only bumped off Cisco ... or Dell ... or some such: The "who" isn't as important a milestone, from my viewpoint, as the "what."
User avatar
fnuts
Posts: 773
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:42 pm

Re: Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by fnuts »

GOODave wrote:
Uh, O.K., whatever: have it your way ...

Zune-lovers, read it and weep:



OR

ZunePhone-lovers, read it and weep:


OR

Microsoft's answer to the iPad-lovers, read it and weep:



Whatever you or I or anyone "thinks" it means, Apple has STILL done it better than MSFT and that is STILL an amazing story for a company that was all-but-written off less than a decade ago.

NIcely said GOODave.
User avatar
AsIfYouKnew
Posts: 7264
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:01 am

Re: Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

GOODave wrote:
But my point in responding to your post was the last line:



That is what I took from that story: Apple was all but finished just a few years back and it is notable, whether for computers, iPads, or iPhones (or iPods, as you pointed out) they have been able to pull it back together so significantly.

FTR, I would have the same admiration for them if they'd only bumped off Cisco ... or Dell ... or some such: The "who" isn't as important a milestone, from my viewpoint, as the "what."
I agree with that to a point. They have done a great job in transforming themselves from a computer company to a consumer products company that makes computers. Nice computers at that.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html
User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by GOODave »

AsIfYouKnew wrote:
I agree with that to a point. They have done a great job in transforming themselves from a computer company to a consumer products company that makes computers. Nice computers at that.
I'm good with that.

Pretty much what they had to do given the proximity to the cliff from where they once stood.

Remember "Leading Edge" computers? They got that close to the cliff and tumbled over because they couldn't (or wouldn't) change... although I do believe I recall they were computer RE-builders and not original manufacturers.
User avatar
Fordama
Posts: 18200
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:12 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by Fordama »

AsIfYouKnew wrote: Hey, Dave, both the stories were about "non-computer" devices. This, as Ford notices, does in fact support my point.
It sure seemed obvious to me. Apple is dominating the music market with their iPod, and doing well in the phone market.

I love my iPod...and my Dell. I've never been caught up in this Apple vs. PC war.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK
User avatar
Fordama
Posts: 18200
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:12 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by Fordama »

GOODave wrote: You're wrong and my post proves you wrong.

So are you now going to stalk me from thread to thread just to criticize me?
I wasn't criticizing you. You made what seemed to be a sarcastic reply to his point, but then posted links that supported his point. I couldn't tell what you were trying to say.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK
User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by GOODave »

Fordama wrote:I wasn't criticizing you. You made what seemed to be a sarcastic reply to his point, but then posted links that supported his point. I couldn't tell what you were trying to say.

Fordama
Then read some of the rest of the posts. AIYK and I have already clarified.
User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by kramer »

AsIfYouKnew wrote: As for the iPad, it looks cool, but I still love my Kindle, and have no plans to upgrade any time soon. I love the fact that i can go weeks without a recharge. Try that on an iPad.
Can you browse the web on your kindle? Can you watch video on it? Can you open up a spreadsheet and calculate your home finances? Can you send and receive emails?

The Kindle (as far as I know) is a 1 trick pony it that it's a book reader and nothing else.
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock
User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by kramer »

Fordama wrote:I wasn't criticizing you. You made what seemed to be a sarcastic reply to his point, but then posted links that supported his point. I
But those links he posted show that Microsoft is offering the same non-computer devices as Apple. I don't see how you think those links support his point.
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock
joefutbol
Posts: 5352
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:28 am
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by joefutbol »

kramer wrote:
Can you browse the web on your kindle? Can you watch video on it? Can you open up a spreadsheet and calculate your home finances? Can you send and receive emails?

The Kindle (as far as I know) is a 1 trick pony it that it's a book reader and nothing else.
The ipad is nothing more than a larger iPhone. They should have called the iZackMorris.
User avatar
AsIfYouKnew
Posts: 7264
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:01 am

Re: Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

kramer wrote:
Can you browse the web on your kindle? Can you watch video on it? Can you open up a spreadsheet and calculate your home finances? Can you send and receive emails?

The Kindle (as far as I know) is a 1 trick pony it that it's a book reader and nothing else.
Actually, I can browse the web on my kindle. But then again, I bought it to do what it does very well: be an electronic book. You can't read it without an outside light source, that is why it lasts so long.

If I want to use a computer, I use my computer. I bet I can create a usefule spreadsheet much faster on my pc than you can on your iPad.

The point is, you have a tool to do what it is supposed to do.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html
User avatar
AsIfYouKnew
Posts: 7264
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:01 am

Re: Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

kramer wrote:
But those links he posted show that Microsoft is offering the same non-computer devices as Apple. I don't see how you think those links support his point.
The link I followed stated that MS SHOULD do that, not that they will. Besides, MS has had tablet PCs for years now. They are mainly laptops with screens that rotate around. However, they are bulky compared to the iPad. The only thing going for them is that they have a keyboard.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html
User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by kramer »

AsIfYouKnew wrote:
The link I followed stated that MS SHOULD do that, not that they will. Besides, MS has had tablet PCs for years now. They are mainly laptops with screens that rotate around. However, they are bulky compared to the iPad. The only thing going for them is that they have a keyboard.

Dave's links talked about the zune and the zune phone which are direct copies of Apple's products. Microsoft also copied the Apple store and their music store (except they like the subscription model where you 'rent' music).
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock
Post Reply