Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Geek spoken here
User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by kramer »

AsIfYouKnew wrote:
Actually, I can browse the web on my kindle. But then again, I bought it to do what it does very well: be an electronic book. You can't read it without an outside light source, that is why it lasts so long.
I'd rather spend another 150 bucks and buy something that can not only read books, but can function as a computer.
AsIfYouKnew wrote:If I want to use a computer, I use my computer. I bet I can create a usefule spreadsheet much faster on my pc than you can on your iPad.
You can hook up a keyboard to an iPad making data entry as fast as a PC.

And I don't have an iPad. I don't like touchscreen devices because I can't stand having a smudgy screen.
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock
User avatar
AsIfYouKnew
Posts: 7264
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:01 am

Re: Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

kramer wrote:

Dave's links talked about the zune and the zune phone which are direct copies of Apple's products. Microsoft also copied the Apple store and their music store (except they like the subscription model where you 'rent' music).
Well, if you want to be technical, I am not sure the iPod was the first music player. Lots of others have come out with "copies", and few have had great success. The Zune is a great little music/movie player, but it is not meant to combat the iPhone as it doesn't even have phone capabilities.

You know, when I walked into the MS store the first time, i noted the similarities to the Apple store. I know it may upset some people (not sure why) but they obviously saw a model that works and went with it. No sense in trying to reinvent the wheel.

MS has nearly always taken a different approach than Apple. though they have the XBox/XBox360 and Zune, they have mainly always been focussed upon software, not hardware. To a great degree, the Apple/MS debate is kind of silly, and one that the Apple afficionadoes make themselves look kind of silly over.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html
User avatar
AsIfYouKnew
Posts: 7264
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:01 am

Re: Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

kramer wrote:
I'd rather spend another 150 bucks and buy something that can not only read books, but can function as a computer.
Thanks for sharing. The Kindle is a great book. Unless you have one, you will not understand.
kramer wrote:You can hook up a keyboard to an iPad making data entry as fast as a PC.

And I don't have an iPad. I don't like touchscreen devices because I can't stand having a smudgy screen.
So what is the point, then? You now have to carry around a keyboard? Do you not see how silly this conversation is getting?

The iPad is a toy. it is not a very good work device (yet) and even if one comes up with a great application to use it for, it is very expensive.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html
User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by kramer »

AsIfYouKnew wrote:
Well, if you want to be technical, I am not sure the iPod was the first music player.
Don't want to be technical, just bringing awareness to the fact that there are a lot of similarities between Microsoft and Apple and that it's fair to say (to a degree) that Microsoft is also not just a computer company.

AsIfYouKnew wrote: Lots of others have come out with "copies", and few have had great success. The Zune is a great little music/movie player, but it is not meant to combat the iPhone as it doesn't even have phone capabilities.
It's meant to combat the iPod.
AsIfYouKnew wrote: You know, when I walked into the MS store the first time, i noted the similarities to the Apple store. I know it may upset some people (not sure why) but they obviously saw a model that works and went with it. No sense in trying to reinvent the wheel. {/quote]
And the same "No sense in trying to reinvent the wheel" applies to Microsoft in the Zune, the music store, Windows 95 thru windows 7, etc. Basically (as I have stated before), Apple is a free R&D source for Microsoft.

No sense in trying to reinvent the wheel
MS has nearly always taken a different approach than Apple. though they have the XBox/XBox360 and Zune, they have mainly always been focussed upon software, not hardware. To a great degree, the Apple/MS debate is kind of silly, and one that the Apple afficionadoes make themselves look kind of silly over.
I just want to make sure that people know that much of what they enjoy in Microsoft products has come from Apple in some way...
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock
User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by kramer »

AsIfYouKnew wrote: Thanks for sharing. The Kindle is a great book. Unless you have one, you will not understand.
Well, to tell you the truth, I like neither devices in part because I don't like touch screens (which is a big reason I use a blackberry). However, if I were looking to get a book reader, I'd spend another $150 dollars and get something that does a whole lot more for a little more cost.



So what is the point, then? You now have to carry around a keyboard? Do you not see how silly this conversation is getting?[/quote]

What's silly? I was just pointing out that with an iPad, I could do work as fast as you can on your pc (or even if you had a mac computer).
AsIfYouKnew wrote:The iPad is a toy. it is not a very good work device (yet) and even if one comes up with a great application to use it for, it is very expensive.
It costs about 2x as much as a kindle and does about 100x as much as a kindle.
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock
User avatar
AsIfYouKnew
Posts: 7264
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:01 am

Re: Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

kramer wrote:
Well, to tell you the truth, I like neither devices in part because I don't like touch screens (which is a big reason I use a blackberry). However, if I were looking to get a book reader, I'd spend another $150 dollars and get something that does a whole lot more for a little more cost.



So what is the point, then? You now have to carry around a keyboard? Do you not see how silly this conversation is getting?
What's silly? I was just pointing out that with an iPad, I could do work as fast as you can on your pc (or even if you had a mac computer).
AsIfYouKnew wrote:The iPad is a toy. it is not a very good work device (yet) and even if one comes up with a great application to use it for, it is very expensive.
It costs about 2x as much as a kindle and does about 100x as much as a kindle.[/quote]

The kindle is a book, not a PC. That is all it is supposed to be, that is all it is. It doesn't have a touch screen, but it is a very convenient way to carry around "tons" of books in a small space. Also, the battery life is amazing, because it doesn't have a computer screen.

If you want an electronic book, buy a kindle. If you want a neat little underpowered computer with a touch screen, buy an iPad.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html
User avatar
AsIfYouKnew
Posts: 7264
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:01 am

Re: Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

kramer wrote: Don't want to be technical, just bringing awareness to the fact that there are a lot of similarities between Microsoft and Apple and that it's fair to say (to a degree) that Microsoft is also not just a computer company.



It's meant to combat the iPod.



I just want to make sure that people know that much of what they enjoy in Microsoft products has come from Apple in some way...
Other than the XBox, which technically is a computer, Microsoft has never been a computer company. It is a software company. Very different.

As for whether people acknowledge that there are a few ideas that came from apple that MS and other companies use, who cares. This has got to be one of the silliest arguments made. Everyone takes ideas from other people. The mouse and Windows were not invented by Apple. Ethernet was not invented by Apple. Lots of things were not invented by Apple and they use the technology. I think you are being peevish about the whole thing.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html
User avatar
Fordama
Posts: 18200
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:12 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by Fordama »

AsIfYouKnew wrote:
Other than the XBox, which technically is a computer, Microsoft has never been a computer company. It is a software company. Very different.

As for whether people acknowledge that there are a few ideas that came from apple that MS and other companies use, who cares. This has got to be one of the silliest arguments made. Everyone takes ideas from other people. The mouse and Windows were not invented by Apple. Ethernet was not invented by Apple. Lots of things were not invented by Apple and they use the technology. I think you are being peevish about the whole thing.
I think that people who identify themselves as "Apple" types have some sort of complex about it.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK
User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by kramer »

Fordama wrote:I think that people who identify themselves as "Apple" types have some sort of complex about it.

Fordama
I think the people who identify so called "complexes" among the Apple types are blind to the "complexes" within the PC types.
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock
User avatar
Fordama
Posts: 18200
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:12 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by Fordama »

kramer wrote:
I think the people who identify so called "complexes" among the Apple types are blind to the "complexes" within the PC types.
Doubtful, seeing how it was you who seems to have some sort of need to "make sure that people know that much of what they enjoy in Microsoft products has come from Apple." I could get all huffy and puffy about how some of what people enjoy in Apple products came from Atari, but really, who cares?

I used Apples for years--they threw them at us educators. Liked them just fine. I switched to Dell because I was tired of always hunting for software for the Apple. I still use Apples at work a lot.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK
User avatar
kramer
Posts: 8852
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:38 pm

Re: Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by kramer »

Fordama wrote: Doubtful, seeing how it was you who seems to have some sort of need to "make sure that people know that much of what they enjoy in Microsoft products has come from Apple."
I also have a need to set the record straight on things like global warming, Clinton's legacy, democrat eff ups, the economy, and a few other issues. That's what most people do here as for example, you have been trying to do lately with the discussion on Reagan and the Iranian hostages. In fact, you pretty much make sure that Republicans always look bad.

Fordama wrote: I used Apples for years--they threw them at us educators. Liked them just fine. I switched to Dell because I was tired of always hunting for software for the Apple. I still use Apples at work a lot.

Fordama
As Apple takes more market share, they will get more apps written to run on OS X. The ports of Steam and Autocad are two recent examples that I have heard of.
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock
User avatar
AsIfYouKnew
Posts: 7264
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:01 am

Re: Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

kramer wrote:As Apple takes more market share, they will get more apps written to run on OS X. The ports of Steam and Autocad are two recent examples that I have heard of.
Apple-ites have been saying that for years. It hasn't happened up to now, and likely will not going forward.

Besides lack of personal software, another thing that hold Apple back from being accepted in the business marketplace is a lack of management software. MS has SCOM and SCCM, two very powerful products for client management. Apple is also very expensive to the corporate buyer.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html
User avatar
fnuts
Posts: 773
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:42 pm

Re: Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by fnuts »

Just as Apple isn't considered at the forefront of "business" applications, it is in exactly the opposite position for creative applications. I work in a creative environment; Unix and Red Hat Linux are what the creatives/artists use. It's actually the exception in my world of business (visual effects and film editing) to see a computer in the room that is running some form of windows os. We use MS Word, Excel and Outlook, but that's about it. The PC side of things are for data management, the fun creative aspect of digital film production.
User avatar
Fordama
Posts: 18200
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:12 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by Fordama »

kramer wrote: As Apple takes more market share, they will get more apps written to run on OS X. The ports of Steam and Autocad are two recent examples that I have heard of.
The problem is that the hardware is still needlessly more expensive. That's the main reason I never went back to Apple for a laptop or desktop.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK
User avatar
Parrotpaul
Posts: 33551
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:14 pm
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by Parrotpaul »

I have always had PCs. I'm used to them, and there is a terrific software support world out there for Pcs. I do use Macs in school every so often...I prefer PCs.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by GOODave »

kramer wrote:
I think the people who identify so called "complexes" among the Apple types are blind to the "complexes" within the PC types.
Fordama wrote:Doubtful
Do you realize you affirmed Kramer's statement with that one word?
User avatar
Fordama
Posts: 18200
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:12 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by Fordama »

GOODave wrote:

Do you realize you affirmed Kramer's statement with that one word?
Didn't, really. Looked through some threads in the CaI section and see much of the same.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK
User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by GOODave »

Fordama wrote:Didn't, really. Looked through some threads in the CaI section and see much of the same.

Fordama
Kramer said PC types are blind to their own complexes...You affirmed that you are blind to them with the one word "doubtful" in response to Kramer's post.

Doesn't really matter what I see in the CaI section.
User avatar
Fordama
Posts: 18200
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:12 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by Fordama »

GOODave wrote: Kramer said PC types are blind to their own complexes.
I'd have to be a "PC type," that's the fly in his ointment. I've never been caught up in this "us vs. them" rigamarole.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK
User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: Apple overtakes Microsoft in market capitalization.

Post by GOODave »

Fordama wrote:I'd have to be a "PC type," that's the fly in his ointment. I've never been caught up in this "us vs. them" rigamarole.

Fordama
...so you say.

Yet here you are arguing with the "apple types."
Post Reply