Are The Angels On Life Support?

SOCTE

Are The Angels On Life Support?

Post by SOCTE » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:21 pm

Or can they still make a run at the Texas Rangers . . .

sbayhills

Re: Are The Angels On Life Support?

Post by sbayhills » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:42 pm

The youth movement worked today. 4 back, and over 30 to play. I'm an optimist.

sbayhills

Post by sbayhills » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:43 pm

Just don't use Fernando Rodney in anything but a mop up roll.............

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:05 am

I just learned they are paying Vernon Wells 81 over 4 ... and just sealed a deal with their ace, Jered, for 85 over 5.

Texas just left and what did we do in that series? one W? Then Toronto absolutely SHELLED Jered Weaver... and there really hasn't been a lot to crow about the last couple of weeks. I'm trying to be hopeful but we're 4 back in arguably the least competitive division in MLB with Texas on a streak and, as recently as late last week, we were down 7 games.

Why Piniero is still pitching is beyond me and do we even have anyone hitting over .300 yet?

Suffice it to say, it is going to be one hellaciously long September...

THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:43 am

The new owners coming into pro sports seem to be divided into two camps, the first being the owner that will try to win at all costs. This owner has enough money that the profit margin is meaningless, he just wants the win. The second is the owner who is out to make money. He is not all that concerned with the W-L record or championships, it is about show me the money. It appears Artie is the latter. He is a great guy, enjoys talking with fans, kicks it in Newport, but winning has taken a back seat.

I am sure we all laughed when Disney got into he sports franchise business, but they were 2-0 in winning championships with its two franchises they were involved with.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:24 am

SOCTE wrote:Or can they still make a run at the Texas Rangers . . .
As long as Scioscia feels compelled to continue giving a lot of playing time to Wells, Abreu and Mathis, they're done.

sbayhills wrote:Just don't use Fernando Rodney in anything but a mop up roll.............
I agree, but only in the locker room.

GOODave wrote:Why Piniero is still pitching is beyond me.
Because all the other starter options are worse.

THETRUTH wrote:The second is the owner who is out to make money. He is not all that concerned with the W-L record or championships, it is about show me the money.
Not true. They all want to win. However, some are either rich enough or clever enough to pull it off, and some aren't.

THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:31 am

MDDad wrote: As long as Scioscia feels compelled to continue giving a lot of playing time to Wells, Abreu and Mathis, they're done.

I agree, but only in the locker room.

Because all the other starter options are worse.

Not true. They all want to win. However, some are either rich enough or clever enough to pull it off, and some aren't.

Here is an old owner with the same attitude, and the Mc Corts have doen such a great job, they have run the Dodgers just like their other business, right into a court house, you would think they would re-name them Mc Cort houses.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7773 ... ng-era-end

not4u13

Post by not4u13 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:57 pm

They are done. They are going to give it a go but they can't seem to do anything against the real contenders. The White Sox are up next and they are also in a race, just 5 games back. They are going to play tough and the Angels have had trouble with these guys the last several seasons. I think it will be THIS series that will be the most telling.

I heard on talk jock this morning saying that the Angels were the most scary team right now. Everyone is looking at them like they don't have a shot but they have three starters throwing well right now and if they can get in, they could become very dangerous in the playoffs. My biggest fear is that they don't have a legitimate closer. They have a rookie who is trying to be a closer but has too many blown saves.

Mike S (because I NEVER can spell his last name) was noted in today's OC Register as running out of patience for those who are not hitting well right now. He is patient through a slump for veteren players ... to a point. But there comes a point in the season where you really can't afford to be patient any longer. That point is here now.

4 games back, they still have a shot but it is an outside shot.

Sure, they looked good these last three games, but most teams do against Baltimore these days.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

SOCTE

Post by SOCTE » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:08 pm

not4u13 wrote:Mike S (because I NEVER can spell his last name) was noted in today's OC Register as running out of patience for those who are not hitting well right now.
If the Angels continue to struggle with their bats, could this mean that hitting coach Mickey Hatcher's days are numbered?

I don't see Artie releasing manager Mike Scioscia . . .

Scioscia losing patience with Wells.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:12 pm

not4u13 wrote:Mike S (because I NEVER can spell his last name) was noted in today's OC Register as running out of patience for those who are not hitting well right now. He is patient through a slump for veteren players ... to a point. But there comes a point in the season where you really can't afford to be patient any longer. That point is here now.
I agree. 20 or 30 games is "a slump." 128 games is "this guy can't hit at all this year." Waiting this long to run out of patience is one of Scioscia's weaknesses.

The best example is his continuing fascination with Jeff Mathis. This is a guy who has hit .211, .194, .211, .195 and .176 in his last five years. He's played over 400 games in his career and hit .195. Yet Mike Napoli somehow got into Scioscia's doghouse and couldn't get back out, while Mathis was put in the penthouse and can't seem to get himself thrown out. I now Scioscia values defense first in his catchers, but it's not like Jeff Mathis is competing for a gold glove.

sbayhills

Post by sbayhills » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:31 pm

MDDad wrote:
I agree. 20 or 30 games is "a slump." 128 games is "this guy can't hit at all this year." Waiting this long to run out of patience is one of Scioscia's weaknesses.

The best example is his continuing fascination with Jeff Mathis. This is a guy who has hit .211, .194, .211, .195 and .176 in his last five years. He's played over 400 games in his career and hit .195. Yet Mike Napoli somehow got into Scioscia's doghouse and couldn't get back out, while Mathis was put in the penthouse and can't seem to get himself thrown out. I now Scioscia values defense first in his catchers, but it's not like Jeff Mathis is competing for a gold glove.
He has done that for years. Look at Fernando Rodney, Gary Matthews, Willits, to name a few. His patience with Hunter has paid off, and he's back being productive. I don't understand how Izturis, and Aybar have completely lost it. I'd be worried about Abreu, and Wells is a joke. He needs to sit Vernon Wells for at least a week, and see if he can get his head in the game.

Earlier in the year, I thought he was too patient with Bourjous. Strike out and swing and miss constantly. Kind of like the Mathis of centerfield. I was wrong on that one, as PB is now hitting in the .280's as well as playing Gold Glove defense.

I don't know why they are using up a valuable roster spot for Russell Branyan, unless he's valuable as a veteran in teaching the kids. We have enough hitters who are battling the Mendoza line.

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:27 am

not4u13 wrote:They are done. They are going to give it a go but they can't seem to do anything against the real contenders. The White Sox are up next and they are also in a race, just 5 games back. They are going to play tough and the Angels have had trouble with these guys the last several seasons. I think it will be THIS series that will be the most telling.

I heard on talk jock this morning saying that the Angels were the most scary team right now. Everyone is looking at them like they don't have a shot but they have three starters throwing well right now and if they can get in, they could become very dangerous in the playoffs. My biggest fear is that they don't have a legitimate closer. They have a rookie who is trying to be a closer but has too many blown saves.

Mike S (because I NEVER can spell his last name) was noted in today's OC Register as running out of patience for those who are not hitting well right now. He is patient through a slump for veteren players ... to a point. But there comes a point in the season where you really can't afford to be patient any longer. That point is here now.

4 games back, they still have a shot but it is an outside shot.

Sure, they looked good these last three games, but most teams do against Baltimore these days.
I am O.K. with your observations, not4u, but from where I sit, if they do somehow manage to creep up on Texas and overtake them in a thrilling final week of regular season baseball, they still don't have the juice to make it very far in the playoffs.

I figure their position in the league would make their first round against New York who figures to be the wild card team, ONLY because they're in the same division with Boston. Yes, I know Boston is 1 game back at the moment, but they'll be there: Best of five against the Yankees (or possibly Boston) with THIS team? I'm not seeing it.

We did nothing yesterday and STILL slipped back a half game... Rangers, meanwhile, took it to Boston 4-0...

Nope, not seein' it.

not4u13

Post by not4u13 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:56 pm

GOODave wrote: I am O.K. with your observations, not4u, but from where I sit, if they do somehow manage to creep up on Texas and overtake them in a thrilling final week of regular season baseball, they still don't have the juice to make it very far in the playoffs.

I figure their position in the league would make their first round against New York who figures to be the wild card team, ONLY because they're in the same division with Boston. Yes, I know Boston is 1 game back at the moment, but they'll be there: Best of five against the Yankees (or possibly Boston) with THIS team? I'm not seeing it.

We did nothing yesterday and STILL slipped back a half game... Rangers, meanwhile, took it to Boston 4-0...

Nope, not seein' it.
I think we're both saying the same thing. The book is all but closed on the Angels this season.

As for the Boston/NY series, I see NY taking the series. They are healthy right now and frankly they don't want to risk facing the Angels in the first round. NY seems to have more trouble with the Angels than with just about any other team. NY won't slip to the wild card and the Rangers will maintain their lead. Angels will lose this series against the White Sox and they will be shut out at least one of those games.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:00 pm

not4u13 wrote:
I think we're both saying the same thing. The book is all but closed on the Angels this season.

As for the Boston/NY series, I see NY taking the series. They are healthy right now and frankly they don't want to risk facing the Angels in the first round. NY seems to have more trouble with the Angels than with just about any other team. NY won't slip to the wild card and the Rangers will maintain their lead. Angels will lose this series against the White Sox and they will be shut out at least one of those games.
That's a pretty dire prediction given that the series with the White Sox is only 2 games... ](*,) But I'll go down as saying we'll sweep 'em. I really don't like Ozzie!!!

not4u13

Post by not4u13 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:55 am

GOODave wrote:That's a pretty dire prediction given that the series with the White Sox is only 2 games... ](*,) But I'll go down as saying we'll sweep 'em. I really don't like Ozzie!!!
Well I all but guaranteed an Angels vicory with that prediction!

Lets not forget, I'm still an Angels fan!

:thumbsup:

sbayhills

Post by sbayhills » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:33 pm

They've won 6 in a row, and shaved off 4.5 games of the Rangers lead. Big 3 game series this weekend in Texas. The last month of the season could be a lot of fun.

SOCTE

Post by SOCTE » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:02 pm

The Jered Weaver signing really showed the team and community what a "team player" is all about in this day and age of players "going where the money is."

Weaver wanted to remain an Angel. What a breath of fresh air.

It's amazing how winning does wonders for a team and enhances team chemistry.

This weekend will be huge and will set the tone and complexion for the remaining regular season.

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:25 am

not4u13 wrote:
Well I all but guaranteed an Angels vicory with that prediction!

Lets not forget, I'm still an Angels fan!

:thumbsup:
Ah, O.K., I see your strategy. It worked, we did indeed sweep the White Sox... and with Texas tripping on their ... ahem ... hangy-down parts to Boston last night, we shaved a full game off our trailing (now 2 1/2 games).

But SBay's right: This weekend will be interesting and, as SOCTE said, it will set the tone.

We'll just see what they think they're made of.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:38 am

I don't think I have ever seen so many empty seats at a home Angels game as there were last night vs. the White Sox.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

not4u13

Post by not4u13 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:43 am

SOCTE wrote:The Jered Weaver signing really showed the team and community what a "team player" is all about in this day and age of players "going where the money is."

Weaver wanted to remain an Angel. What a breath of fresh air.

It's amazing how winning does wonders for a team and enhances team chemistry.

This weekend will be huge and will set the tone and complexion for the remaining regular season.
A lot of what makes a baseball team a winning team is confidence. There isn't any time for second guessing in this game. Which is strange considering how much idle time there is for most players. Being confident in yourself and your team makes a huge difference in execution. The Angels are playing as a confident team right now. The Weaver signing could just be the final ingrediant to solidify that confidence. Rangers have one more game with Boston today before the Angels come to town for a three game series. To give you an idea how important Mike S. thinks this game is, he is considering pitching both Santana and Weaver on 3 days rest.