Angels 2012

User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Angels 2012

Post by GOODave » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:29 am

You have GOT to be flipping kidding me!!!

From ESPN:
Sources: Albert Pujols, Angels agree
DALLAS --
Albert Pujols has agreed to a 10-year, $250 million deal with the Los Angeles Angels, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney on Thursday.

The deal includes a full no-trade clause, which Pujols had been seeking and may have been a sticking point in his negotiations with the Miami Marlins.

Pujols had turned down an offer from the Cardinals, the only team he has ever played for, about a year ago, but St. Louis was still in the bidding as of Wednesday.
I'm sitting here SURROUNDED by Cardinals fans and I can't even chuckle at this...

User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: Angels 2012

Post by GOODave » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:33 am

Suddenly all the Cardinals fans here are poo-pooing Pujols talent.

"Good luck with a 41 year old player"

"He wasn't worth the Cardinal's 200 million offer"

"Albert who?"

"I hope he tanks early"

"One man can't make a team"

"You can get a LOT of talent with $250 million."

...and one of the more philosophical:

"...is it too late for us to get a good pitcher?"

User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: Angels 2012

Post by GOODave » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:43 am

I've got to say I'm shocked.

I thought they might be the third team in the bidding but also thought back to Morenos previous years when we'd lay down the one-time offer and bail out without any negotiations. I really thought that if the Angels were that third team (pretty much knew the third team wasn't the Cubs), we would follow that pattern.

But I'm still not so sure this will cure what ails us...

Red
Posts: 17717
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:33 pm

Re: Angels 2012

Post by Red » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:20 am

CJ Wilson is going to or has signed with Angels....
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: Angels 2012

Post by GOODave » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:21 am

Red wrote:CJ Wilson is going to or has signed with Angels....
I just heard the deal is done.

Looking like my $20 left field pavilion ticket deals are a thing of the past.

User avatar
~44~
Posts: 3305
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:54 am

Re: Angels 2012

Post by ~44~ » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:24 am

GOODave wrote: I just heard the deal is done.

Looking like my $20 left field pavilion ticket deals are a thing of the past.
Typically Angel fan, ALWAYS complaining. Can't wait for MDD to come on and and say he would rather have re-signed Adam Kennedy.
Hi

Red
Posts: 17717
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:33 pm

Re: Angels 2012

Post by Red » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:27 am

GOODave wrote: I just heard the deal is done.

Looking like my $20 left field pavilion ticket deals are a thing of the past.
I knew last night CJ was going to sign with the Angels, but didn't want to junx it. Wow, World Series contender?
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

Red
Posts: 17717
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:33 pm

Re: Angels 2012

Post by Red » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:30 am

~44~ wrote:
Typically Angel fan, ALWAYS complaining. Can't wait for MDD to come on and and say he would rather have re-signed Adam Kennedy.
Adam Kennedy signed with the Dodgers.
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: Angels 2012

Post by GOODave » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:28 am

~44~ wrote:
Typically Angel fan, ALWAYS complaining. Can't wait for MDD to come on and and say he would rather have re-signed Adam Kennedy.
But it's different this time: In years past, going back to the Buzzi Bavasi years, we were all complaining that he wouldn't use his farm system but, instead, bought aging all stars in his endless bid for the World Series.

Then, throughout the Arte Moreno years, we were complaining that Arte would make only ONE bid for a free agent, make the proclomation that it was his only bid, and then we'd kick out of the negotiations early, frequently having to settle for the sub-prime market or the sub-sub prime market (or bring up someone who might or might not be ready for the bigs).

Angels fans are nothing if not creatie in their complaints. For example, if 2012 doesn't get us to the Series, we can start complaining that Moreno replaced Scoscia.

User avatar
Notorious
Posts: 11909
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:56 am

Re: Angels 2012

Post by Notorious » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:35 am

Red wrote:
I knew last night CJ was going to sign with the Angels, but didn't want to junx it. Wow, World Series contender?
You really think you were going to jinx something? Like you had an effect on it?
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

Red
Posts: 17717
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:33 pm

Re: Angels 2012

Post by Red » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:45 am

Notorious wrote: You really think you were going to jinx something? Like you had an effect on it?
It was a joke. And yes, I knew he was going to sign with the Angels last night.
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

User avatar
~44~
Posts: 3305
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:54 am

Re: Angels 2012

Post by ~44~ » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:56 am

How does the pre-pre-spring line-up look about now? Curious to see where Trumbo will likely bat in this deadly lineup?

Is there a better rotation in MLB? Philly? Who will set-up? Close?

Pretty stoked for the Halos this season.
Hi

User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: Angels 2012

Post by GOODave » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:28 am

~44~ wrote:How does the pre-pre-spring line-up look about now? Curious to see where Trumbo will likely bat in this deadly lineup?

Is there a better rotation in MLB? Philly? Who will set-up? Close?

Pretty stoked for the Halos this season.
Good question that, it appears the Angels are trying to nail down, themselves:

From Angels website
The Angels have already had conversations with Trumbo about what his role will be next season, and most of it centered around trying to make himself a capable third baseman -- though he could also see some time at designated hitter, first base and maybe even the corner-outfield spots.

"I understand first and foremost that Albert is going to be the everyday first baseman," said Trumbo, who finished second in American League Rookie of the Year voting in 2011. "So, that's no longer an option for me. I'm going to have to make an adjustment. I have had some experience in the corner outfield. Once again, there's two very good, excellent players that we have in Torii [Hunter] and Vernon [Wells]. So, third base, I guess, seems like the more likely option. Maybe some DH. I'm up for anything."

If Trumbo is able to adapt well to third base, that would likely open up the possibility of a trade of either Alberto Callaspo or Maicer Izturis -- two players who should garner a fair share of interest given their versatility and price.
Personally, I'm still reeling from Moreno actually getting both Pujols and Wilson. HE NEVER does that and how many players have we lost to Boston, NY, Philly, Texas (et al) because he either won't deal with Boras or, more likely, he puts out one bid and won't negotiate to anything higher?

User avatar
~44~
Posts: 3305
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:54 am

Re: Angels 2012

Post by ~44~ » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:50 am

GOODave wrote: Good question that, it appears the Angels are trying to nail down, themselves:

From Angels website

Personally, I'm still reeling from Moreno actually getting both Pujols and Wilson. HE NEVER does that and how many players have we lost to Boston, NY, Philly, Texas (et al) because he either won't deal with Boras or, more likely, he puts out one bid and won't negotiate to anything higher?

Thanks Goooooman

Moreno NEVER had a TV contract like the one he signed one day before the current epic spending spree. Me thinks its easy to spend cash when you actually have it. Right?

Can't wait to see how this plays out this spring in AZ.
Hi

User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: Angels 2012

Post by GOODave » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:01 am

~44~ wrote:

Thanks Goooooman

Moreno NEVER had a TV contract like the one he signed one day before the current epic spending spree. Me thinks its easy to spend cash when you actually have it. Right?

Can't wait to see how this plays out this spring in AZ.
Timing is everything, right 44?

I wonder if they will squander Pujols at DH all year. I wonder if they'll be satisfied now that Wilson, Santana, Heron, and Weaver are all in the paddock. I wonder if anyone will be able to replace Chone Figgins at third, and what is to become, now, of Kendrys Morales?

Spring Training will be very interesting...

Season starts 4/5

not4u13
Posts: 5481
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:00 pm

Re: Angels 2012

Post by not4u13 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:07 am

~44~ wrote:
Moreno NEVER had a TV contract like the one he signed one day before the current epic spending spree. Me thinks its easy to spend cash when you actually have it. Right?

Can't wait to see how this plays out this spring in AZ.
That right there is the key. This has been a multi-year plan for Moreno. He has been seeking that big TV contract for some time now and I think that the downfall of the Dodgers organization has helped the Angels get more attention. While I don't like that he changed the name to the LA Angels of Anaheim, he did have a point that nobody knew where Anaheim was. Now it's considered an LA team and the TV revenues ARE impacted because they are considered big market. Stupid how it works, but apparently he was right.

On another note, Moreno seems to have a thing against Boras. He won't negotiate with him. Part of what got Pujols signed was that he wasn't represented by Boras.

The Angels have certainly made some headlines with this move. Looking forward to the season!
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

User avatar
~44~
Posts: 3305
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:54 am

Re: Angels 2012

Post by ~44~ » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:13 am

GOODave wrote:
Timing is everything, right 44?

I wonder if they will squander Pujols at DH all year. I wonder if they'll be satisfied now that Wilson, Santana, Heron, and Weaver are all in the paddock. I wonder if anyone will be able to replace Chone Figgins at third, and what is to become, now, of Kendrys Morales?

Spring Training will be very interesting...

Season starts 4/5

Funny how it works out, Kendry Morales was slated to be the next........wait for it...................................



..................keep waiting..............


Pujols.

One thing I know for certain Pujols helps the entire line-up.
Hi

User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: Angels 2012

Post by GOODave » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:21 am

not4u13 wrote:
That right there is the key. This has been a multi-year plan for Moreno. He has been seeking that big TV contract for some time now and I think that the downfall of the Dodgers organization has helped the Angels get more attention. While I don't like that he changed the name to the LA Angels of Anaheim, he did have a point that nobody knew where Anaheim was. Now it's considered an LA team and the TV revenues ARE impacted because they are considered big market. Stupid how it works, but apparently he was right.

On another note, Moreno seems to have a thing against Boras. He won't negotiate with him. Part of what got Pujols signed was that he wasn't represented by Boras.

The Angels have certainly made some headlines with this move. Looking forward to the season!
YOU should be here in my shoes, not4u: I'm surrounded by Cardinals fans and, now that they won the WS, a ton of wannabe Cardinals fans. Every last one of them, seemingly like the Cardinals management, were touting the fans' adoration of Pujols and how it would keep him in St. Louis regardless of the money other teams offered.

Once the deal was announced, they have all gone through the 7 stages of grief starting with denial and, now, moving through anger and on to philosophical acceptance, but with a bit of the anger lingering. It is fascinating to watch these (mostly) adults who just weeks ago were chanting his praises, now become his most virulent distracters. Lately, I've taken to quoting William Congreve to them:
"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a Cardinals fan scorned,"

User avatar
~44~
Posts: 3305
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:54 am

Re: Angels 2012

Post by ~44~ » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:29 am

Arte should steal the Rams from them as well.
Hi

MDDad
Posts: 12121
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:24 pm

Re: Angels 2012

Post by MDDad » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:39 am

GOODave wrote:I wonder if they'll be satisfied now that Wilson, Santana, Heron, and Weaver are all in the paddock.
Dan Haren may be tall with long skinny legs, but he's not a Heron.

Post Reply