Angels 2012

Lionhunter

Re: Angels 2012

Post by Lionhunter » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:09 pm

I hope the Angels keep coming up short, because...

They insulted Anaheim with that ridiculous name change,

They wear red,

and, if they make the playoffs, then I have to stand in line for hours, to get a Servite/Mater Dei ticket.
Goin' on a lion hunt, but I don't see no lion.

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:47 pm

Lionhunter wrote:I hope the Angels keep coming up short, because...

They insulted Anaheim with that ridiculous name change,

They wear red,

and, if they make the playoffs, then I have to stand in line for hours, to get a Servite/Mater Dei ticket.
That wasn't really the Angels organization so much as it was Arte trying to make them more marketable in order to get bigger TV contracts. Must have worked because a few weeks back, he got them a huge contract with Fox that allowed him to then go out and draw down Pujols.

I'm afraid I can't help you with the tickets, though.

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:53 am

Not-so-new from the Angels website:
...Without further ado, here are the 10 biggest questions the Angels face:

10. What's the next roster move?
There's no question the Angels will eventually have to move somebody. But considering they won't know whether Mark Trumbo can handle third base or Kendrys Morales is fully healthy until Spring Training, those moves may not materialize just yet...

9. Who's the fifth starter?
Logic would tell you it's Jerome Williams, but that isn't set in stone and teams normally like to leave that fifth-starter spot open for Spring Training competition...

8. What can new catcher Chris Iannetta provide?
He should definitely bring more offense, which is why the Angels felt acquiring the veteran backstop from the Rockies was worth parting ways with young starter Tyler Chatwood...

7. Who protects Pujols?
Teams are going to try to take the bat out of Pujols' hands no matter who hits behind him. But it'll be up to manager Mike Scioscia to make sure his cleanup hitter can consistently drive in runs. In an ideal world, that man would be Morales -- perhaps the only one who brings power from the left side -- but he's been out for nearly two years.

6. Is this the year Mike Trout emerges?
Barring an unexpected trade, it doesn't look like Trout will be an everyday player as soon as 2012. But that doesn't necessarily mean he won't have a chance to fight for at-bats on the big league roster.

5. Will the bullpen hold leads?
One Winter Meetings move that was lost in the shuffle of the Pujols/Wilson madness was the Angels' signing of right-hander LaTroy Hawkins, who could join lefty Scott Downs in the setup role. Dipoto hopes Hawkins' presence will help the bullpen improve on a season that saw it tie for the AL lead in blown saves. But make no mistake: That improvement will mostly hinge on 24-year-old closer Jordan Walden, who posted a 2.98 ERA but blew 10 of his 42 save chances as a rookie in 2011.

4. Can Vernon Wells live up to his salary?
Well, if you're wondering whether Wells can produce like a man who will make $63 million over the next three years, then you may need to lower your expectations a bit. After a season that saw him post a slash line of .218/.248/.412, the Halos will take any sort of improvement from their expensive left fielder.

3. What happens to Morales and Trumbo?
For now, at least, it looks like the Angels will continue to roll with the first-base logjam the Pujols signing created. The organization has already had talks with Trumbo about playing third base, a position he tried but struggled at shortly after signing. Trumbo -- who could also see some time at designated hitter, first base and the corner outfield spots -- feels seven years as an infielder (at first base) will make him much better at the hot corner this time around. For Morales, it'll all hinge on whether he looks right in Spring Training. If healthy and productive, he could be an important piece to the middle of the order as a DH.

2. How many "elite" Pujols years will the Angels get?
For those who looked at Pujols' 2011 numbers and saw the beginning of his decline, consider this: He batted .318 with 28 homers from June until the end of the regular season, then posted a whopping 1.155 OPS in a playoff run that won him his second World Series title. Frankly, Pujols is still the greatest hitter in baseball and should have plenty of iconic years remaining if he stays healthy. There's little reason to believe otherwise. Will he be worth roughly $25 million a year toward the end of a contract that runs through his age-41 season? Probably not

1. Can the Angels make it back to the World Series?
Now that Pujols is on board, and Wilson has joined him, that's the expectation. Will it actually happen? Who knows. But here's one thing that holds little doubt: The Angels' rotation foursome of Wilson, Jered Weaver, Dan Haren and Ervin Santana is arguably the best in the AL -- especially if the Rays part ways with James Shields -- and is definitely better on paper than that of the Yankees, Red Sox, Tigers and Rangers.
I kind of like #4 and 5 ... but something in #3 caught my eye: With Puhols stick, wouldn't he be the heir apparent for DH?

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:46 am

GOODave wrote:Not-so-new from the Angels website:

I kind of like #4 and 5 ... but something in #3 caught my eye: With Puhols stick, wouldn't he be the heir apparent for DH?
Since you kind of like #4, 5 and 3, some comments on those points:

#5 -- Like any bullpen, the Angels' will hold some leads and blow some others. Overall, they will be better just because Fernando Rodney is gone. I think LaTroy Hawkins is a righthanded Darren Oliver -- a cagey old veteran who knows how to pitch and rarely has a bad year. On paper, replacing Rodney with Hawkins (and for less money) looks like a significant improvement.

#4 -- There are maybe 12 or 15 players worth $21 million a year, and Vernon Wells isn't one of them. So no, he won't live up to his salary. However, there were two or three times last year when he went on two-week tears when he was the best hitter on the team. I don't expect his production to be that good more often, but I do expect that his in-between down periods will not be as low. Vernon should be better than last year, especially with Pujols in the lineup.

#3 -- Since Pujols is signed until he's 41, of course he will eventually become the full-time DH. But barring injuries, I don't expect that to be for at least another five years. What most people don't realize is that Pujols will make only $12 million this season. That's less than Vernon Wells, Torii Hunter, Jered Weaver or Dan Haren. He only jumps to $16 million in 2013. By the time he makes $30 million in 2021, utility infielders and Jeff Mathis will be making $15 million, so it won't seem like nearly so outlandish a figure.

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:50 am

I think they're overshooting on how many iconic years Pujols has left.

I say 3-4 good/great years, after that you're going to be paying 20 million for a .285 hitter.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:32 am

MDDad wrote:Since you kind of like #4, 5 and 3, some comments on those points:

#5 -- Like any bullpen, the Angels' will hold some leads and blow some others. Overall, they will be better just because Fernando Rodney is gone. I think LaTroy Hawkins is a righthanded Darren Oliver -- a cagey old veteran who knows how to pitch and rarely has a bad year. On paper, replacing Rodney with Hawkins (and for less money) looks like a significant improvement.
No doubt... however, with the season only recently over, i am still smarting from the AL tie for most blown saves in a year. I like how our staff has shaped up, but I won't get extatic until I see some leads preserved after the season starts. Not intending any disrespect towards the Angels bull pen, just not wanting as much disappointment as I suffered last year.
MDDad wrote:#4 -- There are maybe 12 or 15 players worth $21 million a year, and Vernon Wells isn't one of them. So no, he won't live up to his salary. However, there were two or three times last year when he went on two-week tears when he was the best hitter on the team. I don't expect his production to be that good more often, but I do expect that his in-between down periods will not be as low. Vernon should be better than last year, especially with Pujols in the lineup.
I have been constantly underwhelmed at Well's production and I gather he has a "no trade" in his contract so we're stuck with him. But, this year, I would like to see more of those "two-week tears" you're talking about. At least look like you're trying to be worth your payday...
MDDad wrote:#3 -- Since Pujols is signed until he's 41, of course he will eventually become the full-time DH. But barring injuries, I don't expect that to be for at least another five years. What most people don't realize is that Pujols will make only $12 million this season. That's less than Vernon Wells, Torii Hunter, Jered Weaver or Dan Haren. He only jumps to $16 million in 2013. By the time he makes $30 million in 2021, utility infielders and Jeff Mathis will be making $15 million, so it won't seem like nearly so outlandish a figure.
This is my own philosophy, I realize, but in the AL, the pitcher's bat is replaced with the DH. So that DH ought to be the best slugger with RISP on the team. I think adding 1B (or any) duties to a DH only increases his opportunities for injury and burn-out.

~44~

Post by ~44~ » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:31 pm

Notorious wrote:I think they're overshooting on how many iconic years Pujols has left.

I say 3-4 good/great years, after that you're going to be paying 20 million for a .285 hitter.
Barry Bonds hit close to 400 HRs ages 31-41. Probably averaged around .340 (all NL). The precedent has been set.

side-note:

Tomorrow I will move from my plush corner office facing the Big A. Interior office, lateral move. Bummed.
Hi

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:53 am

Kendrick nailed down for another 4 according to Angels website:
ANAHEIM -- The Angels' busy offseason didn't end with the signing of two of baseball's most heralded free agents.

On Saturday night, the team made sure one of its most valued players stayed in-house.

Second baseman Howard Kendrick, a key cog in manager Mike Scioscia's lineup the last few years, has agreed on a four-year extension with the only organization he's ever known, industry sources confirmed to MLB.com. The deal, which USA Today's Bob Nightengale reported to be worth $33.5 million, won't be official until Kendrick undergoes a physical this week...

...Kendrick made $3.3 million last season and was expected to garner something in the range of $5 million via arbitration this year. Now, his reported figure carries an average annual value of $8.375 million, which ranks fourth among second basemen -- trailing the Braves' Dan Uggla, the Phillies' Chase Utley and the Orioles' Brian Roberts.

Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto said Thursday that he had begun preliminary talks with Kendrick's representative, Larry Reynolds, and apparently, those discussions moved rather quickly.

Dipoto's next task is to lock up shortstop Erick Aybar, who's also going into his final season before free agency and could land a similar deal to his up-the-middle partner

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:06 am

~44~ wrote:
Barry Bonds hit close to 400 HRs ages 31-41. Probably averaged around .340 (all NL). The precedent has been set.

side-note:

Tomorrow I will move from my plush corner office facing the Big A. Interior office, lateral move. Bummed.
Steroids HGH do wonders for age bro.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:28 am

GOODave wrote:Kendrick nailed down for another 4 according to Angels website:
I think it's a good signing for several reasons.

Kendrick is a good young player both offensively and defensively, he's just entering his prime years (he'll be 28 this coming season), his power numbers are improving, and he can play multiple positions.

The signing avoids arbitration this year, which can result in damaged relations, and it avoids free agency for three years after that.

And finally, Kendrick is excellent trade bait, in case the Angels become interested in adding a fourth firstbaseman.

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:53 pm

MDDad wrote:
I think it's a good signing for several reasons.

Kendrick is a good young player both offensively and defensively, he's just entering his prime years (he'll be 28 this coming season), his power numbers are improving, and he can play multiple positions.

The signing avoids arbitration this year, which can result in damaged relations, and it avoids free agency for three years after that.

And finally, Kendrick is excellent trade bait, in case the Angels become interested in adding a fourth firstbaseman.
I think it is a good signing, as well. Morales is a contributor.

GOODave

DO we have a reason to be concerned?

Post by GOODave » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:40 am

Marcel Lachemann is back as the Angels pitching coach...

Is that "good" news?

He was with the Angels in '95 when they watched an 11 game lead disappear in just shy of 2 months ... wouldn't pitching have arguablly been party to that?

He has spent the last 12 years with the Rockies ... who have done exactly what during those years?

--:--

I like that he's spent so much time in baseball ... but should we be happy that he's back, at 70?

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:20 am

A friend of mine, a Whitesox fan, and I are working a deal.

His complaint is that if the Whitesox aren't going to make any trades or acquisitions to improve their chances of making the playoffs, at LEAST let Paul Konerkogo so he can get a chance to play for a championship team.

I think the Angels should look at him: At 35, he might not still have the 1B arm (and, besides, we've got a much younger first baseman), but he's hit in the .300's last couple of years so why not bring him on as DH?

sbayhills

Post by sbayhills » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:27 am

GOODave wrote:A friend of mine, a Whitesox fan, and I are working a deal.

His complaint is that if the Whitesox aren't going to make any trades or acquisitions to improve their chances of making the playoffs, at LEAST let Paul Konerkogo so he can get a chance to play for a championship team.

I think the Angels should look at him: At 35, he might not still have the 1B arm (and, besides, we've got a much younger first baseman), but he's hit in the .300's last couple of years so why not bring him on as DH?
We already have 3 first basemen. Trumbo, Pujols, and Morales. One of those three as well as Abreu will be doing the DH duties.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:14 am

GOODave wrote:A friend of mine, a Whitesox fan, and I are working a deal.

Dave, can I assume you wrote this post in jest? Konerko has two more years to go on his contract, at a combined $25.5 million, and he would be the fifth 1B/DH on the roster.

Or are you presuming a trade in which the White Sox agree to take Trumbo, Morales and Abreu in return?

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:19 am

MDDad wrote: Dave, can I assume you wrote this post in jest? Konerko has two more years to go on his contract, at a combined $25.5 million, and he would be the fifth 1B/DH on the roster.

Or are you presuming a trade in which the White Sox agree to take Trumbo, Morales and Abreu in return?
Not in jest ... but more in fantasy.

I've always liked Konerko (well, since the 'sox threw us out of the ALDS a couple years back). I think he'd be a good addition to the team but I'd only consider Trumbo and Morales in a trade... I like Bobby.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:38 am

GOODave wrote: Not in jest ... but more in fantasy.

I've always liked Konerko (well, since the 'sox threw us out of the ALDS a couple years back). I think he'd be a good addition to the team but I'd only consider Trumbo and Morales in a trade... I like Bobby.
I like Abreu too, but I also like Jim Fregosi and Darin Erstad. 38-year-old slugging outfielders who can no longer play a major league-caliber outfield, and who hit eight homeruns last year, probably shouldn't be hanging on at DH for that last $9 million payday, especially when Trumbo and (hopefully) Morales can provide much more of an offensive threat. Yeah, he still walks a lot, and he can still steal 20 bags, but he hit .250 each of the last two years, and that ain't what you pay a DH to do.

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:07 am

MDDad wrote: I like Abreu too, but I also like Jim Fregosi and Darin Erstad. 38-year-old slugging outfielders who can no longer play a major league-caliber outfield, and who hit eight homeruns last year, probably shouldn't be hanging on at DH for that last $9 million payday, especially when Trumbo and (hopefully) Morales can provide much more of an offensive threat. Yeah, he still walks a lot, and he can still steal 20 bags, but he hit .250 each of the last two years, and that ain't what you pay a DH to do.
I thought Konerko hit .300 and .312 the last two years ... or were you talking about Abreu?

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:42 am

GOODave wrote: I thought Konerko hit .300 and .312 the last two years ... or were you talking about Abreu?
Abreu.

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:56 am

MDDad wrote: Abreu.
:shrug:

O.K., throw Bobby into the trade, too.

NO, no ... I'm still only filling the wish list. Not serious.