cali_cronic220

Manny to LA

Post by cali_cronic220 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:20 pm

What do you guys think?

Red

Re: Manny to LA

Post by Red » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:56 pm

I think there is a echo in here. :mrgreen:
cali_cronic220 wrote:What do you guys think?

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:12 pm

Red wrote:I think there is a echo in here. :mrgreen:
Weelllll...let's see. Manny has a bullet arm, and when he throws, he is usually on target. If he wants to run, he can scoot, and he can hit the loooong ball...it's just that someone has to remind him to run after he hits it. He's worse than Barry Bonds standing at home plate watching his own magic.

Manny will be entertaining if nothing else.

A buddy of mine in Maine said the Sox wouldn't trade Manny until the end of the season....after this last Anngels sweep in Fenway, I think last night was the end of their season.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

sbayhills

Post by sbayhills » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:41 am

It took 1.5 hours to get to Dodger stadium on a Friday night. We walked in, just as the Dodgers were batting in the 1st. The buzz at the stadium was like a playoff game. I looked up at the press box, and it was standing room only. The crowd went crazy when Manny came out of the dug out for his first AB, and got even louder when his name was announced. He got a standing ovation for his first AB, as well as a Manny, Manny, Manny chant.

My highlight was the announcement by the Dodgers that Vin Scully was in his 59th year. Vin Scully was shown on the big screen, and he got a standing ovation that was well deserved.

I fail to see what the buzz is about Manny. I think he is the product of playing for Boston, and being highlighted on ESPN every night. I did not give him a standing ovation for being run out of town by the Red Sox. Manny being Manny is not a thing a player should be proud of. He played a single into a triple by jogging for a ball in the gap. If he's not hustling in his first game here, what will he be like for the next 2 months? The Dodger faithful are looking for a savior, Manny is in this for Manny alone, period. Yes, the pick up was great for the Dodgers, but make this man prove something before we make him a God.

Andruw Jones is a disaster. He had some swings last night that defy logic. I lost a bet with my buddy the first two times up. He said AJ would strike out in 4 pitches. I said he would ground out. That's right, he K'd the first two times up. I finally got a dollar back on his ground out to third. The crowd cheered because he actually hit the ball. Joe Torre has to sit AJ down. When you have 27 outs in a game, and the bottom 3 are batting ..160, .198, and the pitcher spot, that is 9 outs every game right there. Juan Pierre pinch hit, got on base , and scored our only run. Andre Ethier pinch hit, and drew a walk. AJ is a failed signing, the Dodgers have to acknowledge this and move on. They are in a pennant race, down 3 games. I had never seen the Big Unit in person.

The middle innings took about 2 hours to play. Geeeez.............Some may call it a pitchers duel. I think it was just a boring game. The buzz was of playoff caliber after Martin led off the 9th with a single. Manny hit it hard, but right at short for an easy double play. You could hear the balloon deflate. It would have been nice to see him earn the adulation, but the baseball Gods thought differently. Getting out of Dodger stadium is always a disaster. Last night was no different.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:59 am

I watched his first at bat and then changed to TTN and watched "ALFIE." Interesting...they were reporting a sold out stadium, but through the first couple innings most of the high priced seats in back of the plate were empty. Must be like Friday night Laker games, no one gets there until the game is well underway.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke