We Were Wrong...!!??

Omar Bongo

We Were Wrong...!!??

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:33 pm

I had to blink and rub my eyes...was it true? Someone actually admitted they were wrong and issued an apology? Is this a joke?

Admitting 'We Were Wrong,' Astros Fire Assistant GM Brandon Taubman

The Houston Astros fired assistant general manager Brandon Taubman on Thursday, admitting in a statement that his "inappropriate comments" about the acquisition of closer Roberto Osuna were directed at a group of female reporters.

I don't even care about the particulars or merits of the case in point, just the fact that they didn't follow the deny, distort, distract script that seems to be de rigueur these days in every situation is nothing short of shocking. How utterly refreshing! There is hope! :notworthy:

(Still pulling for the Nats tho...)

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/279 ... on-taubman

Omar Bongo

Re: We Were Wrong...!!??

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:58 pm

Hmmmmm....coincidence, or no?

Umpire Rob Drake Apologizes, Says He'll Learn From Threatening Tweet

...Drake tweeted late Tuesday that he planned to buy an AR-15 rifle "because if you impeach MY PRESIDENT this way, YOU WILL HAVE ANOTHER CIVAL WAR!!! #MAGA2020."

[aside- among MAGAs is mangled spelling a kind of cachet? :-k ]

The tweet, which he deleted soon after posting, followed one he sent earlier in the night regarding the House of Representatives' impeachment proceedings with President Donald Trump.

Drake deactivated his account Wednesday. Commissioner Rob Manfred said Wednesday that Major League Baseball is looking into the tweet.

"I want to personally apologize to everyone that my words made feel less safe...I never intended to diminish the threat of violence from assault weapons, or violence of any kind."

I'm glad he thought better of it, but that last sentence is high comedy...his intention was pretty much the exact opposite, I would say...
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:05 am

I think he said the opposite of what he intended to say, anyway. Or did he? The part after the ellipsis is sort of a non sequitur.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:19 am

I don't really understand the Taubman story, either. Was it about his language or was there some hidden meaning? Baseball people are known to be "colorful," why was this time unusual? The women are sports writers, not society matrons. I don't get it.
Don't look at me, I just work here.