How government works.

Troglodyte

Re: How government works.

Post by Troglodyte » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:46 am

John Q. Public wrote: I'm not Fordy, but... they tried to increase CAFE standards but Bush vetoed it - twice, I think. They've tried to encourage us to buy smaller, more fuel efficient cars and use public transportation but we've ignored them. Short of rationing gas and heating oil or magically creating usable domestic oil deposits, what would you like them to do?
Not that Obama is gonna own up to it, but I remember his promise on the campaign trail to start a Manhatten Project on alternative energy. Surely that would have created jobs, put the US back in the forefront of production, and cost a lot less than the trillions he's throwing around.
Every oil rig I serviced was burning off natural gas 24/7 because we have run out of storage capacity. Chevy and Honda both have had CNG cars for years. The only reason they haven't been selling is lack of fuel outlets. Converting present cars to CNG is pretty easy and cheap (around $1600 for the parts) Mandating that all service stations add CNG to their pumps, and prepare for fuel cell and quick charge outlets, would open that door. It may not be perfect but it would be the first step until Hydrogen fuel cells and battery systems were perfected. Instead of mandating MPG, Congress and the EPA should instead limit the HP of car engines solod in the US to say 30HP. Fuel consumption is a direct ratio to horsepower.
Wind farms have been a huge disappointment, and eco-wackos are fighting large scale solar projects. Nuclear plants have been stymied by lawyers representing the "don't glow" bunch. (Democrats would never try to curb their main source of campaign contributions by limiting lawsuits.) There's much that could be done in those areas. Lastly producing products that use less power more efficiently is another area for exploration. The entire world would be in the market for more energy and less energy consuming products. Might even make us a net exporter again.
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:48 am

John Q. Public wrote: Do you think they knew that people like you were going to blame the guy who inherited their mess?
I'm not the one blaming Bush... :ROFL:

e. rosewater

Post by e. rosewater » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:06 am

Troglodyte wrote:I'm not the one blaming Bush... :ROFL:
That wasn't the question.
What hypocrisy looks like.

Link

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:23 am

Troglodyte wrote:...Congress and the EPA should instead limit the HP of car engines solod in the US to say 30HP. Fuel consumption is a direct ratio to horsepower.
:ROFL: Yeah, that'll work. My brother had an old 30 HP VW motor (very rare). He could barely get it up to 55 on the downhills.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:51 am

Troglodyte wrote: Wasn't Wall Street, Fraudy.. The government cracked open the door,
Seeing how an opening door is not an appropriate metaphor, it doesn't really matter.

The government has "cracked open the door" for gun ownership with the 2nd Amendment--does that mean when criminals shoot people that the government is responsible?

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:22 pm

Fordama wrote:Seeing how an opening door is not an appropriate metaphor, it doesn't really matter.

The government has "cracked open the door" for gun ownership with the 2nd Amendment--does that mean when criminals shoot people that the government is responsible?

Fordama
You're tap dancing as fast as you can, but are still out of step... Try Geritol... :ROFL:

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:44 pm

Troglodyte wrote: You're tap dancing as fast as you can, but are still out of step... Try Geritol... :ROFL:
Did the logic go over your head?

Banks were not forced to do what they did by the government. That's a false statement.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

e. rosewater

Post by e. rosewater » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:09 am

Fordama wrote:Did the logic go over your head?
Your statement implies his responses are logical. They are not.
What hypocrisy looks like.

Link