45% of GOP Say Obama was Born Abroad

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Re: 45% of GOP Say Obama was Born Abroad

Post by crayegg » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:57 pm

Wiley wrote:Of course not. He's not going to run. I like that he's another conservative stinking up Obama's campaign.
"Stinking up" is exactly right.

I don't believe 45% of repubs believe President Obama was born abroad, but I also believe about 90% won't say so for political reasons, which really stinks.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:45 pm

Wiley wrote:Let's be realistic, Wabby. This was not a universal poll but rather a minute sampling. The poll assumes the pollees are telling the truth. Only 500 or more folks claiming to be Republicans responded. If you're going to be considered a viable participant in arguing politics, get some tools.
It's not my story. I just posted a link. You've yet to put forth any proof the methodology is incorrect. Other than ridicule.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

tLIB

Post by tLIB » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:51 pm

Wiley wrote:Let's be realistic, Wabby. This was not a universal poll but rather a minute sampling. The poll assumes the pollees are telling the truth. Only 500 or more folks claiming to be Republicans responded. If you're going to be considered a viable participant in arguing politics, get some tools.
I agree 100%. I think there are a lot of people out there that don't like Obama and his policies. They would love to see something stick. Anything. But like others have said, this is the wrong tree, IMO. We would be better off barking up the economic tree. Or perhaps complain about the wars. Or Libya.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:15 am

Link

Excerpts:
Once a trademark of the fringe right, Obama birth conspiracies are dominating the GOP’s discourse—and now, Amazon’s bestseller list.
There probably are some politicians who are very nervous about the fact that Jerome Corsi’s new book, Where's the Birth Certificate? The Case that Barack Obama is not Eligible to be President has already rocketed to the top spot on Amazon weeks before its publication date. None of them are Democrats. Throughout the last two years, the conservative movement has mainstreamed once-fringe elements, encouraging ever more outré speculation about our president and his origins. Now the Republican Party has a birther problem it can’t control.
For even moderately serious conservatives, this is a problem, because they know it makes their movement look nuts. “Within our party, we’ve got to be very careful about allowing these people who are the birthers and the 9/11-deniers to get too high a profile and say too much without setting the record straight,” Karl Rove told Fox News earlier this year.
Increasingly, conservatives are trying to replace one conspiracy theory with another, accusing liberals of spreading birtherism in order to discredit their ideological foes. “Every conservative outlet has already shot down this rumor,” Ann Coulter claimed on Fox this month, blaming “liberal cable stations” for keeping it alive. Even Michele Bachmann recently made an abrupt turnabout on the issue, declaring it a settled question.
But it was the Drudge Report, not liberal cable stations, that was hyping Corsi’s work Thursday with an “exclusive” titled, “Book to Reveal Obama’s True Identity?” Nor was it liberals who’ve made Corsi a star of the Tea Party circuit. And it certainly wasn’t the left that made the Arizona legislature pass a bill requiring presidential candidates to produce long-form birth certificates, or, failing that, two or more other documents such as hospital birth records and circumcision papers. While Republican Gov. Jan Brewer vetoed it, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal says he’ll sign similar legislation if it gets to him. Birther bills are pending in a number of other states, including Oklahoma, Texas and Indiana. In Indiana, the bill would put governor Mitch Daniels, a likely presidential candidate, in a tough position, forcing him to choose between catering to the Republican base and preserving his reputation for sanity.
This is akin to Dr. Frankenstein running into town saying, "there's a monster loose." While hoping the townfolk don't realize it was the good doctor that made the monster.
Last edited by Wabash on Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:18 am

tLIB wrote:
I agree 100%. I think there are a lot of people out there that don't like Obama and his policies. They would love to see something stick. Anything. But like others have said, this is the wrong tree, IMO. We would be better off barking up the economic tree. Or perhaps complain about the wars. Or Libya.
Pump prices, while Obama has a moritorium on offshore drilling, is one tree that is growing pretty good..
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

blacklib

Post by blacklib » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:23 pm

Troglodyte wrote: Pump prices, while Obama has a moritorium on offshore drilling, is one tree that is growing pretty good..
updated 3/25/2011 6:40:41 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Interior Department said on Friday it approved a permit for Statoil to drill for oil in the deep waters of the Gulf of Mexico.

It was the sixth such permit issued by the government since the BP oil spill.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:51 pm

blacklib wrote: updated 3/25/2011 6:40:41 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Interior Department said on Friday it approved a permit for Statoil to drill for oil in the deep waters of the Gulf of Mexico.

It was the sixth such permit issued by the government since the BP oil spill.
Trog lives in a fantasy world.

Wiley

Post by Wiley » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:45 pm

Wabash wrote: Trog lives in a fantasy world.
Wabby... You'll jump on anything that moves. The first permit was issued only six-weeks ago. Obama is the "better late than never" administrator. Always testing the waters while the country is flooded by gas bills.
"If you love me you've got to help me pass this bill." - Barak Obama

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:29 am

Wiley wrote:Wabby... You'll jump on anything that moves. The first permit was issued only six-weeks ago. Obama is the "better late than never" administrator. Always testing the waters while the country is flooded by gas bills.
ONLY six weeks ago, eh?

'Spose you're just fine eatin' the petroli-shrimp and oil-sters they've been harvesting from the Gulf?

Not enough industry and jobs got trashed because of lack of oversight, you're okay with more as long as you can get cheaper gas?

I say there's plenty enough cheap GAS to go around RIGHT HERE.

You've become our barometer of what he's doing right

If you don't like it it must be a good thing.

He says black, you say white.

He says left, you say right.

He does something you agree he should do, you rip him for not doing it sooner

or later

or this way

or that way

And if you ever did agree with anything he did, Obama, everyone on this board and all their ancestors and descendants would simultaneously keel over in shock.

Really now, don't it get old being a perpetually crotchety nattering nabob of negativity?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:27 am

Omar Bongo wrote: ONLY six weeks ago, eh?

'Spose you're just fine eatin' the petroli-shrimp and oil-sters they've been harvesting from the Gulf?

Not enough industry and jobs got trashed because of lack of oversight, you're okay with more as long as you can get cheaper gas?

I say there's plenty enough cheap GAS to go around RIGHT HERE.

OHHHHHHHH, what a fear-monger YOU'VE turned out to be. Do you seriously believe opening up drilling in the Gulf (or anywhere in our coastal waters) will automatically lead to another "once in a lifetime" explosion or was that just a bit of fear-laced hyperbole you intended to "prove" your criticism of Wiley?

If there is plenty cheap gas right here .... where is it and why hasn't our loving president opened it yet? If it does exist, haven't you just proven Wiley's point that Obama is always late to the party?

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:02 am

Wiley wrote:Wabby... You'll jump on anything that moves. The first permit was issued only six-weeks ago. Obama is the "better late than never" administrator. Always testing the waters while the country is flooded by gas bills.
Wiley, do you still live in a dream world where the price of gas is determined by the supply available? The price of gas is governed by how much the producers believe they can squeeze out of the populace before that group demands nationalizing of the oil companies.

It's a commodity with an inelastic demand curve. They could be charging $20/gal and know there is a baseline amount that would be sold.

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:08 am

Wabash wrote: Wiley, do you still live in a dream world where the price of gas is determined by the supply available? The price of gas is governed by how much the producers believe they can squeeze out of the populace before that group demands nationalizing of the oil companies.

It's a commodity with an inelastic demand curve. They could be charging $20/gal and know there is a baseline amount that would be sold.
With some minor tweaks, I unfortunately agree with Wabash on this.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:08 am

Apparently the oil companies aren't too concerned about domestic supply given the amount of crude that is EXPORTED from the US every day.

About 72K according to the most recent figures.

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:24 am

Wabash wrote:Apparently the oil companies aren't too concerned about domestic supply given the amount of crude that is EXPORTED from the US every day.

About 72K according to the most recent figures.
No offense, but if you can find those numbers, why can't our president?

He's assured us he is looking into any potential fraud at the pumps being involved ... but the prices continue to escalate. Further, a couple years back, it took almost twice the price of a barrel of oil to push gasoline prices past $4 a gallon ... why is half that cost now pushing it up?

Answer: Declining value of the dollar, IMO.

Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:31 am

GOODave wrote: No offense, but if you can find those numbers, why can't our president?

He's assured us he is looking into any potential fraud at the pumps being involved ... but the prices continue to escalate. Further, a couple years back, it took almost twice the price of a barrel of oil to push gasoline prices past $4 a gallon ... why is half that cost now pushing it up?

Answer: Declining value of the dollar, IMO.
Bingo... All due to our fearless leader's economic policies.. And you thought Bush was bad... :wink:

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:10 pm

Troglodyte wrote: Bingo... All due to our fearless leader's economic policies.. And you thought Bush was bad... :wink:
Yes, I did (his economic policies, anyway)...

But regrettably, Obama is worse because he has no experience at this sort of thing.

slowyoroll

Post by slowyoroll » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:21 pm

Troglodyte wrote: Bingo... All due to our fearless leader's economic policies.. And you thought Bush was bad... :wink:
Not bad..horrible and not very bright..
"IF YOU'RE NOT RICH, IF YOU DON'T HAVE A JOB DON'T BLAME WALL STREET BLAME YOURSELF!"

HERMAN CAIN

IDIOT

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:24 pm

Actually Bush was worse. He took an a balanced budget with a surplus and after giving away the surplus proceeded to reduce revenues and spend like there was no tomorrow handing off a fiscal nightmare.

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:14 pm

Wabash wrote: Actually Bush was worse. He took an a balanced budget with a surplus and after giving away the surplus proceeded to reduce revenues and spend like there was no tomorrow handing off a fiscal nightmare.
Bush's economic policies weren't worse OR better: Obama is following in Bush's footsteps like either one of 'em knows or knew what they're doing. If the "surplus" was so flipping important to you, what have you observed your lord high Obama doing to get it back?

N-O-T-H-I-N-G, that's what.

Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:25 pm

slowyoroll wrote:
Not bad..horrible and not very bright..
And here I thought you were backing Obama... You're learning sweetheart... :ROFL: