Democrat Wins G.O.P. Seat; Rebuke Seen to Medicare Plan

Hanna

Democrat Wins G.O.P. Seat; Rebuke Seen to Medicare Plan

Post by Hanna » Tue May 24, 2011 6:43 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/25/nyreg ... ction.html

Democrats scored an upset in one of New York’s most conservative congressional districts on Tuesday, dealing a blow to the national Republican Party in a race that largely turned on the party’s plan to overhaul Medicare.

The results set off elation among Democrats and soul-searching among Republicans, who questioned whether the party should rethink its commitment to the Medicare plan, which appears to have become a liability as 2012 elections loom.

=====

Remember two years ago, when so many seniors were objecting to the health care reform, demanding that Obama not "touch" their Medicare?

Seems like the chicken came home to roost.

Not that Medicare and Social Security not need tweaking. Start by using mean testing.

Millionaires do not need social security or Medicare assistance.

Parrotpaul

Re: Democrat Wins G.O.P. Seat; Rebuke Seen to Medicare Plan

Post by Parrotpaul » Tue May 24, 2011 6:49 pm

Olympia Snowe (R) Maine isn't a very popular GOP senator tonight. Click here.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Hanna

Post by Hanna » Tue May 24, 2011 6:52 pm

Susan Collins (R, Main) and Scott Brown (R, MA) are going to vote "No," too.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Wed May 25, 2011 3:58 am

The GOP has overreached with the Ryan Medicare Plan. If that district can flip, the Dems could easily take back the House next year.

I predict GOP representatives (especially the freshmen) in toss-up districts who voted for the Ryan plan will be running from this issue as fast their two little feet can carry them.

Stating that upon further introspection they fully support the status quo of Medicare.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Thu May 26, 2011 5:53 am

Wabash wrote: Stating that upon further introspection they fully support the status quo of Medicare.
No surprise you support a lack of integrity in our elected representatives.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Thu May 26, 2011 8:22 pm

GOODave wrote:No surprise you support a lack of integrity in our elected representatives.
Stated no such thing. Like Trog you dissolve into fantasy. Those elected representatives you'll be claiming lack integrity will be conservatives.

Pop the corn and watch the show. Should be fun.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Fri May 27, 2011 8:50 am

Wabash wrote: Stated no such thing. Like Trog you dissolve into fantasy. Those elected representatives you'll be claiming lack integrity will be conservatives.

Pop the corn and watch the show. Should be fun.
You denigrated them for changing their position after looking more closely at the issue.

Allowing oneself to alter their position upon further reflection is a benchmark of integrity: A leadership competency. You either support a lack of integrity or you don't know what it means (so you couldn't possibly support it).

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Fri May 27, 2011 4:39 pm

GOODave wrote: You denigrated them for changing their position after looking more closely at the issue.

Allowing oneself to alter their position upon further reflection is a benchmark of integrity: A leadership competency. You either support a lack of integrity or you don't know what it means (so you couldn't possibly support it).
So now you support them not supporting Ryan's plan?

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Fri May 27, 2011 4:54 pm

Wabash wrote: So now you support them not supporting Ryan's plan?
Stop trying to change the subject. You were wrong (or you didn't know what you were talking about): Cop to it and move on.

You denigrated them for changing their position after looking more closely at the issue.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Fri May 27, 2011 5:15 pm

GOODave wrote: Stop trying to change the subject. You were wrong (or you didn't know what you were talking about): Cop to it and move on.
Didn't ask that question. I asked a different question.

Once again:

Do you support those GOP legislators who now do not support Ryan's plan after voting for it?

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Fri May 27, 2011 5:16 pm

Wabash wrote: Didn't ask that question. I asked a different question.

Once again:

Do you support those GOP legislators who now do not support Ryan's plan after voting for it?
Stop trying to change the subject. You were wrong (or you didn't know what you were talking about): Cop to it and move on.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Fri May 27, 2011 5:23 pm

GOODave wrote:Stop trying to change the subject. You were wrong (or you didn't know what you were talking about): Cop to it and move on.
Didn't ask that question. I asked a different question. I knew you wouldn't answer, so I'll just take your refusal as a "yes."

I'll let you have the last word silly fella.

Headed to the coast. I'd say that I might see you there, but it's very unlikely.

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Post by crayegg » Fri May 27, 2011 5:32 pm

C'mon Dave, what do you think is more likely:

A: They reexamined the issue and came to a different conclusion; or

2: They took a whiff of which way the political wind blows and their political survival instincts kicked in and they did a 180?

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri May 27, 2011 6:28 pm

crayegg wrote:C'mon Dave, what do you think is more likely:

A: They reexamined the issue and came to a different conclusion; or

2: They took a whiff of which way the political wind blows and their political survival instincts kicked in and they did a 180?
A+2: Going in they totally misjudged the value of their flagging teabag support vs pissing off the rest of the normal older population, got their hineys waxed and then flip-flopped faster than you can say Newt Gingrich. Nothing new here.
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Mon May 30, 2011 6:40 am

Omar Bongo wrote: A+2: Going in they totally misjudged the value of their flagging teabag support vs pissing off the rest of the normal older population, got their hineys waxed and then flip-flopped faster than you can say Newt Gingrich. Nothing new here.
Dave won't admit they are flip flopping because the windsocks are now blowing in a different direction. One could make the argument they are flip flopping because of recent information. There might be a truth to that given the a** kicking that was received in NY-26. The new information being the electorate wants Medicare left alone.

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Mon May 30, 2011 8:19 am

Wabash wrote: Dave won't admit they are flip flopping because the windsocks are now blowing in a different direction.
Besides, I thought you were going to give me the last word: Apparently politicians aren't the only things you'll lie about, eh?

What I won't "admit" is that "flip-flop" is the derogatory term you seem to think it is. I applaud anyone who can reconsider their position and allow themselves to be convinced to change it. EVEN IF, as you seem to think, they made the wrong decision in the first place, leaders quite often listen to prevailing opinions and sometimes even change their minds...UNLIKE your lord high Obama lama ding-dong who won't change his mind but keeps altering course while trying to get us to believe "I meant to do that."

Here you go you can have the last word: I won't be back unless you come up with a different argument (try for one you DON'T make up in your fantasy world).

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Mon May 30, 2011 8:28 am

GOODave wrote: What I won't "admit" is that "flip-flop" is the derogatory term you seem to think it is. I applaud anyone who can reconsider their position and allow themselves to be convinced to change it. EVEN IF, as you seem to think, they made the wrong decision in the first place, leaders quite often listen to prevailing opinions and sometimes even change their minds...UNLIKE your lord high Obama lama ding-dong who won't change his mind but keeps altering course while trying to get us to believe "I meant to do that."
Thanks for letting us know that you now support all those GOP representatives who are flip flopping on the Ryan Medicare Plan.

And many thanks for your personal attacks. It's your way of concession and admitting defeat.

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Mon May 30, 2011 4:10 pm

Wabash wrote: Thanks for letting us know that you now support all those GOP representatives who are flip flopping on the Ryan Medicare Plan.
Hey, Idjit: IT doesn't matter whether or not I support them: None of them are elected from here...

Is that a nuance of the political system that still eludes you?
:lol:

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Mon May 30, 2011 6:08 pm

GOODave wrote: Hey, Idjit: IT doesn't matter whether or not I support them: None of them are elected from here...

Is that a nuance of the political system that still eludes you?
:lol:
Ha ha ha. You said you were going to let me have the last word.

Wasn't that difficult to get you to respond one more time.

:ROFL:

That was easy.

Thanks for the personal attack. You continue your concession of the point.

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Tue May 31, 2011 8:17 am

Wabash wrote: Ha ha ha. You said you were going to let me have the last word.

Wasn't that difficult to get you to respond one more time.

:ROFL:

That was easy.

Thanks for the personal attack. You continue your concession of the point.
And thank YOU for your inability to refute my point. It is your way of conceding.

I win again.

BUT you can have the last word here \:D/ if you want: