Current European tax Rates!

User avatar
SLK230
Posts: 9070
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:16 pm

Current European tax Rates!

Post by SLK230 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:07 am

Current European tax Rates


United Kingdom
Income Tax: 50%
VAT: 17.5% TOTAL: 67.5%

France
Income Tax: 40%
VAT: 19.6% TOTAL: 59.6%

Greece
Income Tax: 40%
VAT: 25% TOTAL: 65%

Spain
Income Tax: 45%
VAT: 16% TOTAL: 61%

Portugal
Income Tax: 42%
VAT: 20% TOTAL: 62%

Sweden
Income Tax: 55%
VAT: 25% TOTAL: 80%

Norway
Income Tax: 54.3%
VAT: 25% TOTAL: 79.3%

Netherlands
Income Tax: 52%
VAT: 19% TOTAL: 71%

Denmark
Income Tax: 58%
VAT: 25% TOTAL: 83%

Finland
Income Tax: 53%
VAT: 22% TOTAL: 75%

If you've started to wonder what the real costs of socialism are going to be - once the full program in these United States hits your wallet, take a look at the table.

As you digest these mind-boggling figures, keep in mind that in spite of these astronomical tax rates, these countries are still not financing their social welfare programs exclusively from tax revenues! They are deeply mired in public debt of gargantuan proportions. Greece has reached the point where its debt is so huge it is in imminent danger of defaulting. That is the reason the European economic community has intervened to bail them out. If you're following the financial news, you know Spain and Portugal are right behind Greece .

The United States is now heading right down the same path. The VAT tax in the table is the national sales tax that Europeans pay. Stay tuned because that is exactly what you can expect to see the administration proposing after the fall elections.

The initial percentage in the United States isn't going to be anywhere near the outrageous numbers you now see in Europe . Guess what. the current outrageous numbers in Europe didn't start out as outrageous either. They started out as minuscule - right around the 1% or 2% where they will start out in the United States . Magically, however, they ran up over the years to where they are now. Expect the same thing here.

It is the very notion that with hard work and perseverance, anybody can get ahead economically here in the USA . Do you think that can ever happen with tax rates between 60% and 80%? Think again. With the government taking that percentage of your money, your life will be exactly like life in Europe ... You will never be able to buy a home. You will never buy a car. You will never send your children to college. Let's not shuffle the battle cry of the socialists under the rug either. It's always the same cry. Equalize income. Spread the wealth to the poor (whoever they are). Level the economic playing field. Accomplish that and everything will be rosy.

It's time to take a really hard look at reality. Greece is a perfect example. Despite the socialism system that has ruled this country for decades, with a 65% tax rate, they are drowning in public debt, would have defaulted without hundreds of billions in bailout money from the EU, and still. . . 20% of their population lives in poverty. What has all that socialism money bought, besides ultimate power for the politicians running the show? Do you think these people are "free"? They're not. They are slaves to their economic "system."

This is where we are going unless we throw some of the present politicians out of Congress. Instead of spreading the wealth around, spread this message around.
Thought for the day:
We are always hearing about how Social Security is going to run out of money.
How come we never hear about Welfare running out of money?

User avatar
Parrotpaul
Posts: 33550
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:14 pm

Re: Current European tax Rates!

Post by Parrotpaul » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:21 am

I feel a need to weep for the sake of humanity.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

User avatar
SLK230
Posts: 9070
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:16 pm

Re: Current European tax Rates!

Post by SLK230 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:43 am

Parrotpaul wrote:I feel a need to weep for the sake of humanity.


Are stupid jokes all you are capable of? How about something that actually adds to the discourse for a change.
Thought for the day:
We are always hearing about how Social Security is going to run out of money.
How come we never hear about Welfare running out of money?

User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: Current European tax Rates!

Post by GOODave » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:51 am

SLK230 wrote:
Are stupid jokes all you are capable of? How about something that actually adds to the discourse for a change.
Al,

You don't understand Paul. His flippant quips are his acknowledgement that he has nothing. You know as well as I do that when he things he has something, he posts it. It's when he has nothing that he posts that kind of crapola.

Take it for what it is... You won the argument without having to fire a shot.

User avatar
SLK230
Posts: 9070
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:16 pm

Re: Current European tax Rates!

Post by SLK230 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:26 am

GOODave wrote: Al,

You don't understand Paul. His flippant quips are his acknowledgement that he has nothing. You know as well as I do that when he things he has something, he posts it. It's when he has nothing that he posts that kind of crapola.

Take it for what it is... You won the argument without having to fire a shot.
You are right. I guess I just can't understand why anyone would show off their own stupidity
Thought for the day:
We are always hearing about how Social Security is going to run out of money.
How come we never hear about Welfare running out of money?

User avatar
Troglodyte
Posts: 16607
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:33 pm

Re: Current European tax Rates!

Post by Troglodyte » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:25 pm

SLK230 wrote:
You are right. I guess I just can't understand why anyone would show off their own stupidity
:ROFL: I guess you haven't been reading some posts from a few of our resident wackos.
I could name a few, but that would have Vile belching flames... Unless, of course, I only named conservatives. :wink:
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

MDDad
Posts: 12125
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:24 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Current European tax Rates!

Post by MDDad » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:23 pm

SLK230 wrote:It is the very notion that with hard work and perseverance, anybody can get ahead economically here in the USA . Do you think that can ever happen with tax rates between 60% and 80%? Think again. With the government taking that percentage of your money, your life will be exactly like life in Europe ... You will never be able to buy a home. You will never buy a car. You will never send your children to college. Let's not shuffle the battle cry of the socialists under the rug either. It's always the same cry. Equalize income. Spread the wealth to the poor (whoever they are). Level the economic playing field. Accomplish that and everything will be rosy.
I believe that rampant socialism is a terrible thing. However, I was born in Austria, and I still have many, many relatives who live in Austria and Germany. Every single one of them over the age of 21 owns their own home. Every single one of them over 21 owns one or more automobiles. And every single one of them who wanted to go to college was able to do so.

Scare tactics are an abominable practice to sway public opinion, and both sides of the debate are shamefully dishonest in using them.

User avatar
SoMelo
Posts: 12322
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Current European tax Rates!

Post by SoMelo » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:51 pm

SLK230 wrote:Current European tax Rates

Got a link for this? I tried googleing it, but the only thing that came up was chain email craola

User avatar
Wabash
Posts: 24571
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:29 am
Has thanked: 2 times

Re: Current European tax Rates!

Post by Wabash » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:21 pm

MDDad wrote: I believe that rampant socialism is a terrible thing. However, I was born in Austria, and I still have many, many relatives who live in Austria and Germany. Every single one of them over the age of 21 owns their own home. Every single one of them over 21 owns one or more automobiles. And every single one of them who wanted to go to college was able to do so.

Scare tactics are an abominable practice to sway public opinion, and both sides of the debate are shamefully dishonest in using them.
And no one in those countries worry about going broke if they acquire a catastrophic illness. The leading cause of BK's in the US.

Almost all of those countries have weathered the recession far better than the US.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

User avatar
pattywannamack
Posts: 1571
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:31 pm

Re: Current European tax Rates!

Post by pattywannamack » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:40 pm

MDDad wrote:
I believe that rampant socialism is a terrible thing. However, I was born in Austria, and I still have many, many relatives who live in Austria and Germany. Every single one of them over the age of 21 owns their own home. Every single one of them over 21 owns one or more automobiles. And every single one of them who wanted to go to college was able to do so.

Scare tactics are an abominable practice to sway public opinion, and both sides of the debate are shamefully dishonest in using them.
Great, great insight.

I would also make the argument that socialism is more acceptable in Europe because they 1) Pay into social programs that directly benefit them.
2) The countries are smaller and generally more homogenous.

We don't have either of those things in America.
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.

User avatar
John Q. Public
Site Admin
Posts: 19760
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:56 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Current European tax Rates!

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:58 pm

Wabash wrote: And no one in those countries worry about going broke if they acquire a catastrophic illness. The leading cause of BK's in the US.

Almost all of those countries have weathered the recession far better than the US.
Pretty funny, really. I think if I were to make a list like that, I'd at least have had the sense to leave the last 5 off of it. Nobody's complaining there, they've all weathered the financial storm pretty well, and last I heard, Denmark has been the winner of the "Most Content" award for the last few years.

And I have to laugh about them including Greece, since only about half of the people there actually pay taxes - even the VAT. They might charge it, but they definitely don't pay it. You don't need a "No Sale" button when you don't have a cash register.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

User avatar
Troglodyte
Posts: 16607
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:33 pm

Re: Current European tax Rates!

Post by Troglodyte » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:28 pm

Wabash wrote: And no one in those countries worry about going broke if they acquire a catastrophic illness. The leading cause of BK's in the US.

Almost all of those countries have weathered the recession far better than the US.
You get that bucket full of hogwash off your left wing gazzette??
First of all basic medical insurance, or catastrophic medical insurance cost a little over $100/month.
One hell of a lot less than Obamacare. Most cases the deductable is $5,000. Kinda hard to go medical BK on that.

Second, I seriously doubt your claim that medical BK is the leading cause of BK in thhe US.. Got a link??
This propaganda is just a sales pitch for single payer health insurance that will really BK everybody.
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

User avatar
Troglodyte
Posts: 16607
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:33 pm

Re: Current European tax Rates!

Post by Troglodyte » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:40 pm

Wabash wrote: And no one in those countries worry about going broke if they acquire a catastrophic illness. The leading cause of BK's in the US.

Almost all of those countries have weathered the recession far better than the US.
Guess you haven't been keeping up on the latest economic news....
This doesn't sound all that healthy to me.. Especially if Germany balks. All thepressure is on her..

EU summit could determine world economy: Japan
Published: Bangkok Post 9/12/2011 at 12:02 PM Online news:
http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/eco ... nomy-japan

TOKYO, Dec 9, 2011 (AFP) _ Europe has the firepower to fix its own debt problems, Japan's finance minister said Friday, as EU leaders battled through a summit he predicted could ``determine the course of the world economy in 2012''.

With European Union leaders squabbling over how they should plug the gaping hole in the continent's finances, Jun Azumi told reporters they had no option but to act decisively. ``We want them to produce results that relieve markets and the world as it is a very important meeting that could determine the course of the world economy in 2012,'' he said, according to the website of the Nikkei newspaper. He said Europe had the resources to solve its problems and should not in the first instance go cap-in-hand to the International Monetary Fund. ``You must not get it back to front,'' Azumi told a news conference after a regular Cabinet meeting, according to Dow Jones Newswires. ``What they need to do is clear. At least, it's clear that there is this issue of what Germany should do from now. You can't put those issues aside and try to fix the problems using the IMF.''
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

User avatar
Wabash
Posts: 24571
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:29 am
Has thanked: 2 times

Re: Current European tax Rates!

Post by Wabash » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:00 am

Troglodyte wrote:You get that bucket full of hogwash off your left wing gazzette??
First of all basic medical insurance, or catastrophic medical insurance cost a little over $100/month.
One hell of a lot less than Obamacare. Most cases the deductable is $5,000. Kinda hard to go medical BK on that.

Second, I seriously doubt your claim that medical BK is the leading cause of BK in thhe US.. Got a link??
This propaganda is just a sales pitch for single payer health insurance that will really BK everybody.
Link
Troglodyte wrote:Guess you haven't been keeping up on the latest economic news....
This doesn't sound all that healthy to me.. Especially if Germany balks. All the pressure is on her..
Thanks for the link. I'm sure Germany will do what's good for Germany.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

OldMan
Posts: 579
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Current European tax Rates!

Post by OldMan » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:14 am

A few points worth considering:

Too MDD's point about Germany and Austria, Germany took on its own austerity measures earlier last decade while everyone else took on more debt to fund socialist programs.

The true fact is that only those countries moving from more socialist economies to more capitalistic economies are having success...those being Germany, Russia, China, Brazil and India. The more socialist countries such as the US and all of Southern Europe are mired in debt and sluggish growth or recession.

And as to the high tax rates throughout Europe, with special interests, corruption and loopholes there just like here, very few if any taxpayers end up fully paying those ridiculously high rates.

User avatar
Wabash
Posts: 24571
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:29 am
Has thanked: 2 times

Re: Current European tax Rates!

Post by Wabash » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:47 am

OldMan wrote:A few points worth considering:

Too MDD's point about Germany and Austria, Germany took on its own austerity measures earlier last decade while everyone else took on more debt to fund socialist programs.
I don't know about Austria, but part of Germany's austerity program was raising taxes.
OldMan wrote:The true fact is that only those countries moving from more socialist economies to more capitalistic economies are having success...those being Germany, Russia, China, Brazil and India. The more socialist countries such as the US and all of Southern Europe are mired in debt and sluggish growth or recession.
See above post.
OldMan wrote:And as to the high tax rates throughout Europe, with special interests, corruption and loopholes there just like here, very few if any taxpayers end up fully paying those ridiculously high rates.
And as pointed out. Many are quite happy living there and paying them for the lifestyle they enjoy.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

User avatar
Wiley
Posts: 4444
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: Current European tax Rates!

Post by Wiley » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:09 am

MDDad wrote:
I believe that rampant socialism is a terrible thing. However, I was born in Austria, and I still have many, many relatives who live in Austria and Germany. Every single one of them over the age of 21 owns their own home. Every single one of them over 21 owns one or more automobiles. And every single one of them who wanted to go to college was able to do so.
They're all squatting on land owned by the Habsburg family. :mrgreen:
"If you love me you've got to help me pass this bill." - Barak Obama

User avatar
John Q. Public
Site Admin
Posts: 19760
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:56 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Current European tax Rates!

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:51 am

OldMan wrote:A few points worth considering:

Too MDD's point about Germany and Austria, Germany took on its own austerity measures earlier last decade while everyone else took on more debt to fund socialist programs.
The problems in the PIGS countries aren't so much from socialist programs, but from wasteful socialist programs. Cases in point are the early retirements, 100% pensions and six-figure incomes for government file clerks.
The more socialist countries such as the US and all of Southern Europe are mired in debt and sluggish growth or recession.
WHATTT? "The more socialist countries such as the US and all of Southern Europe"? What you call "socialist" in this country is considered pure Capitalism in Europe. And the more socialist countries in Europe aren't in the south; they're in the north. See the last 5 on Al's list.

And a question - if you were to add your expenditures for health insurance/medical care (with your co-pays and deductibles added in) and your 401(k)/pension contributions, what percentage of your income do you think they'd be? And do you think the benefits would be comparable? The real "more socialist" countries have high tax rates but they also have better health care, better retirements, better unemployment benefits (along with lower unemployment rates), better infrastructure and higher "happiness" ratings than we do. Other than the odd tennis star moving to Monaco, nobody there complains about their tax rates.

Sometimes I wish the Foreign Babe would post here (although I'd probably have banned her by now). She and all of her Euro friends love this country but they think our lack of social programs and safety nets is just foolish.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

User avatar
Wiley
Posts: 4444
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: Current European tax Rates!

Post by Wiley » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:55 am

There's good reason why so many folks enjoy the thought of having the government provide welfare programs that provide medical care from birth to death. And we already have them. Federal Medicare, state Medicaid and private insurance. They're also called hospital emergency rooms - also available to non-citizens. This is a form of taxpayer paid socialism.
"If you love me you've got to help me pass this bill." - Barak Obama

User avatar
Troglodyte
Posts: 16607
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:33 pm

Re: Current European tax Rates!

Post by Troglodyte » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:04 pm

John Q. Public wrote: The problems in the PIGS countries aren't so much from socialist programs, but from wasteful socialist programs. Cases in point are the early retirements, 100% pensions and six-figure incomes for government file clerks.
Seems to me that we have the sameproblem as the PIGS countries. Even Obama stated that there was $500Billion worth of waste fraud and mismanagement in our Medicare program alone. Couple that with overlapping and dual programs, way too many chiefs compared to the 'indians', Silly stuff like $billion+ anti-smoking campaign while at the same time more $billions in subsidies to tobbacco farmers, a way to generous 'retirement' program for our congressmen, etc. These things should be worked on first, before creating more programs, and asking us to increase taxes on ourselves.
If we cleaned up our fiscal house first, we just might find the funds to create this liberal Utopia.
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

Post Reply