JFK assassination docs scheduled for 2013 release pushed out

kramer

JFK assassination docs scheduled for 2013 release pushed out

Post by kramer »

If there's nothing to hide, why keep the rest of the documents hidden?

From Salon.com:
THURSDAY, JUN 14, 2012 03:00 PM PDT
National Archives: No new JFK docs
Bowing to the CIA, the National Archives says it won't release 1,100 secret assassination documents in 2013

Acquiescing to CIA demands for secrecy, the National Archives announced Wednesday that it will not release 1,171 top-secret Agency documents related to the assassination of President Kennedy in time for the 5oth anniversary of JFK’s death in November 2013.

http://www.salon.com/2012/06/14/nationa ... _jfk_docs/

THURSDAY, MAY 31, 2012 02:09 PM PDT
What gets declassified?
JFK assassination documents offer surprising lessons about government secrecy -- and Obama's presidency

Next year will be a half-century since the death of JFK. And the Obama Administration thinks we need to keep secret the records on the matter … a little longer yet.

Believe it or not, more than 50,000 pages of JFK assassination–related documents are being withheld in full. And an untold number of documents have been partially withheld or released with everything interesting blacked out. But why?

Since the government and the big media keep telling us there was no conspiracy and that it was all Lee Harvey Oswald acting on his own, why continue to keep the wraps on?

http://www.salon.com/2012/05/31/what_ge ... singleton/
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock
Parrotpaul

Re: JFK assassination docs scheduled for 2013 release pushed

Post by Parrotpaul »

Will this be the non-fiction version of the Warren Report?
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
Luca

Post by Luca »

I've never been convinced Oswald acted alone, either.
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

The biggest problem with conspiracies is that too many people have to keep their mouths shut.
Stay loose, and be a little afraid.
Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte »

Wabash wrote:The biggest problem with conspiracies is that too many people have to keep their mouths shut.
Hiding things from the people creates conspiracy theories.. What does the government hope to protect?
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..
crayegg
Oversight Committee

Post by crayegg »

50 years later.

The CiA has a problem with disclosure, of course I would expect that from a covert agency.

As a so called liberal though, I would seek the light of day, good or bad.
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

Troglodyte wrote: Hiding things from the people creates conspiracy theories.. What does the government hope to protect?
I dunno. You'll have to ask them. Since the Warren Report concluded that Oswald acted alone, I always wondered why records were sealed.
Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte »

Wabash wrote: I dunno. You'll have to ask them. Since the Warren Report concluded that Oswald acted alone, I always wondered why records were sealed.
Maybe because Castro is still alive?? :lol:
GOODave

Post by GOODave »

Wabash wrote:The biggest problem with conspiracies is that too many people have to keep their mouths shut.
Yet many of those who say the above have no problems believing Christianity was a hoax perpetrated by early Jews and kept secret by thousands upon thousands of Christ's followers... who, then, swiped His body from the tomb which embarrassed the guards who concocted that whole cover story that everyone down through history has stuck to.

:wink:
oceanvue

Post by oceanvue »

GOODave wrote: Yet many of those who say the above have no problems believing Christianity was a hoax perpetrated by early Jews and kept secret by thousands upon thousands of Christ's followers... who, then, swiped His body from the tomb which embarrassed the guards who concocted that whole cover story that everyone down through history has stuck to.

:wink:

and that's why I have to hide painted eggs in the backyard and tell the kids a giant bunny rabbit left them? It's like I'm elbow deep in the cover-up
GOODave

Post by GOODave »

oceanvue wrote:

and that's why I have to hide painted eggs in the backyard and tell the kids a giant bunny rabbit left them? It's like I'm elbow deep in the cover-up
OH sure ... like proclaiming your malfeasance here publically will exonerate you!

Tsk!
:roll:
As if!
oceanvue

Post by oceanvue »

I just wanted to come clean before the finger pointing starts
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

Troglodyte wrote: Maybe because Castro is still alive?? :lol:
I doubt Castro had anything to do with it.
seeinred

Post by seeinred »

Let's get some opinions here; who killed JFK?
Cubans?
Mafia?
CIA?
Oswald?
Russians?
Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte »

seeinred wrote:Let's get some opinions here; who killed JFK?
Cubans?
Mafia?
CIA?
Oswald?
Russians?
Could be any, or all, of the above.. You kinda left out LBJ (who wanted to be top dog) and Ari (who lusted after the Queen of Camelot).. Whatever, I'm sure Castro's files contain some interesting information.
ROFL <--- Too bad there isn't a tongue in cheek emoticon..
kramer

Post by kramer »

Troglodyte wrote: Could be any, or all, of the above.. You kinda left out LBJ (who wanted to be top dog) and Ari (who lusted after the Queen of Camelot).. Whatever, I'm sure Castro's files contain some interesting information.
ROFL <--- Too bad there isn't a tongue in cheek emoticon..
Don't forget the Federal Reserve... :D
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

GOODave

Post by GOODave »

Wabash wrote: I doubt Castro had anything to do with it.
I doubt Castro had anything to do with Oceanvue's behavior, too.

Planting those Easter eggs was completely his own doing... he and he, only, should pay the consequences.
18echo
Oversight Committee

Post by 18echo »

kramer wrote:If there's nothing to hide, why keep the rest of the documents hidden?
There's a few reasons for classifying any given document:

1. The information itself is sensitive.
2. The source of the information is sensitive.
3. The means used to get that information (from a source or otherwise) is sensitive.
4. The identity of the person who got the information is sensitive.

2, 3 and 4 are almost always blacked out in a released document.
Sometimes 1 is blacked out in a released document.

If releasing the information would make it obvious to the other side how we got it, i.e. there was only one way we could get it, we can't release the information.
"Hoc spatium adsuesco assuesco pro profunda rhetoricam."
kramer

Post by kramer »

18echo wrote: There's a few reasons for classifying any given document:

1. The information itself is sensitive.
2. The source of the information is sensitive.
3. The means used to get that information (from a source or otherwise) is sensitive.
4. The identity of the person who got the information is sensitive.

2, 3 and 4 are almost always blacked out in a released document.
Sometimes 1 is blacked out in a released document.

If releasing the information would make it obvious to the other side how we got it, i.e. there was only one way we could get it, we can't release the information.
Fair points, but if there was sensitive information, sources, means, or identities, then why didn't they take these things into consideration 50 years ago when they said they would be released 50 years later? And how sensitive can these things be 50 years later? We're talking about a lone gunman, I don't see how these concerns you posted can be applicable to this particular case.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

Would it be logical to conclude 50 years later that information is still deemed "sensitive" by the government for one or several of the reasons echo mentioned?

That said...I was disappointed when the identity of Deep Throat was revealed.....not the least bit romantic.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke