JFK assassination docs scheduled for 2013 release pushed out

kramer

Re: JFK assassination docs scheduled for 2013 release pushed

Post by kramer »

Parrotpaul wrote:Would it be logical to conclude 50 years later that information is still deemed "sensitive" by the government for one or several of the reasons echo mentioned?
How it he world can the source, means, or identities be sensitive 50 years later when it was a lone gunman? And how many people are still alive today that worked on this case? I can see 18echo's points if we cracked some case in another country and we had spies and their families in those countries that needed to be protected. I don't see how his points apply in any 'significance' to this case.

What's the big deal, open the files like they said they were going to do.
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock
18echo
Oversight Committee

Post by 18echo »

kramer wrote:
How it he world can the source, means, or identities be sensitive 50 years later when it was a lone gunman? And how many people are still alive today that worked on this case? I can see 18echo's points if we cracked some case in another country and we had spies and their families in those countries that needed to be protected. I don't see how his points apply in any 'significance' to this case.

What's the big deal, open the files like they said they were going to do.
There are collection methods that are still not common knowledge 50 years later.
It's not beyond the realm of possibility that sources are still alive 50 years later.
"Hoc spatium adsuesco assuesco pro profunda rhetoricam."
kramer

Post by kramer »

18echo wrote:There are collection methods that are still not common knowledge 50 years later.
It's not beyond the realm of possibility that sources are still alive 50 years later.
Acknowledged, but this had nothing at all to do with international espionage and spying, it has to do with a single gunman. As such, I don't see how there can there be people alive today that need to have their IDs kept secret.
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

18echo
Oversight Committee

Post by 18echo »

kramer wrote:
Acknowledged, but this had nothing at all to do with international espionage and spying, it has to do with a single gunman. As such, I don't see how there can there be people alive today that need to have their IDs kept secret.
It's not just about a lone gunman (if it was in fact a lone gunman), it's about all the rest of the information the CIA collected and how they collected it, and where they collected it.
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

kramer wrote:
You apparently didn't read The Da Vinci Code, kramer.....it you had then you would know. :mrgreen:
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
kramer

Post by kramer »

18echo wrote: It's not just about a lone gunman (if it was in fact a lone gunman), it's about all the rest of the information the CIA collected and how they collected it, and where they collected it.
How 'secret' can 50 year old clandestine data collection methods be? As to "where," -- where could they have gotten information from a lone gunman that would be sensitive today? From his mail? Phone taps? It's not like he was a foreign agent using short wave radio with encryption. This is a case where the CIA used their 'top secret' methods to get info on an average John Q. Public person.

I also find it hard to believe that those documents would say precisely how they got the information. But if they do, simply black out those parts.

And if the rest of the information; how they collected it; and where they collected is so sensitive today, why did they say 50 years ago that it would be released in 2013?

18echo
Oversight Committee

Post by 18echo »

kramer wrote:How 'secret' can 50 year old clandestine data collection methods be?
A method works until it becomes common knowledge, no matter how long that is.
kramer wrote:As to "where," -- where could they have gotten information from a lone gunman that would be sensitive today? From his mail? Phone taps?
Again, it's not just just about Oswald, almost everything about him is already released. It's everything else, things like who in what country knew what prior to the hit.
kramer wrote:I also find it hard to believe that those documents would say precisely how they got the information. But if they do, simply black out those parts.
In some cases, releasing the information you got makes it obvious how you got it and from who.
kramer wrote:And if the rest of the information; how they collected it; and where they collected is so sensitive today, why did they say 50 years ago that it would be released in 2013?
When something is classified, there is a future date attached to it. That date just means when you can review it for anything that can be released, it doesn't mean you just get to release everything.
kramer

Post by kramer »

Robert F. Kennedy suspected conspiracy in his brother’s assassination, son says

Late former U.S. Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy publicly suported the Warren Commission’s conclusion that his brother, President John F. Kennedy, had been killed by a lone gunman, but privately he had serious doubts.

In a round-table discussion Friday night in the Dallas Arts District, the attorney general’s son, Robert F. Kennedy Jr. [who was sporting a fancy new tin-foil beanie], said, “My father believed the Warren Report was a shoddy piece of crafstmanship.”

http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/2013 ... llas.html/

Fordama

Post by Fordama »

18echo wrote:A method works until it becomes common knowledge, no matter how long that is.
Exactly.

I imagine that there are still assets left over from the Cold War that are being used for collecting information on the former Soviet Union (and vice versa.)

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK
AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew »

Wabash wrote:The biggest problem with conspiracies is that too many people have to keep their mouths shut.
That is what bullets are for.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html
kramer

Re: JFK assassination docs scheduled for 2013 release pushed out

Post by kramer »

President Trump announced on Twitter that he will allow the release of thousands of classified documents about the assassination of President John F. Kennedy after years of delays.

The unexpected move means the trove of never-before-seen documents are set to be released by the National Archives by Oct. 26.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jfk-assass ... documents/

Wabash

Post by Wabash »

What are the odds it says Oswald acted alone?
Stay loose, and be a little afraid.
Fordama

Post by Fordama »

I think the most significant reveal will be that either the FBI or CIA thought that Oswald was highly suspicious, but failed to follow up. In other words, typical large bureaucratic issues.

I do so love that Trump is taking credit for this release. What a brave decision.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK
Tommy Tar

Post by Tommy Tar »

The agreement was to wait until Papa Bush died. Looks like W should have stayed at the ranch.
President Elect Tommy Tar.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Wabash wrote: postby Wabash » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:17 am

What are the odds it says Oswald acted alone?
I have my doubts that they will be fully released yet. If they are released fully, you will see why we have been willing to trade with Vietnam like nothing ever happened, but not with Cuba.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

I have the benefit of living near Dallas now and I have visited the Sixth Floor Museum a couple of times now. It's a pretty fascinating place. There you have an opportunity to stand at a window nearby where the shots were fired from and look down at the location where Kennedy was when he was hit. You can stand at the grassy knoll and watch cars speed by. You can even stand in the very location where Zapruder captured those images. There is a person driving around in a replica of the limo Kennedy was riding in.

More important than that is the content of the museum. It's pretty amazing and the most complete collection of pictures, audio and artifacts from the assassination anywhere. This museum takes you through the presidency, the preparation for the visit, the speeches leading up to the trip to Dallas, newspaper headlines from the Dallas Morning News the days before and after as well as accounts of local sentiment. Kennedy was not well liked in Texas. One of the more interesting parts of this museum is they go into the various conspiracy theories and they ask for your personal conclusion. They go into the various ballistics and sound tests that have been conducted over the years and they have the scale model built for one of the studies.

If you are interested in the Kennedy assassination and haven't made the trip to Dallas and visited the sixth floor museum, you are missing out.

Personally, Oswald acted alone. There is ample evidence to support a motive and with the crowds lining the streets, many more would have noticed had there been shots fired from an alternate location. There is even less evidence he was encouraged by any outside forces.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Still, I can't help but wonder what could possibly be in what's basically a murder investigation that would have to be kept secret, unless maybe they're things they found that were unrelated to the assassination. Maybe those should still be classified but whatever the information is, keeping it secret only stokes the conspiracy stories.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

As crazy as he become. I saw an interview with Jesse Ventura. He brought up that exact point. If Oswald did indeed act alone, why the secrecy for so many years.
Stay loose, and be a little afraid.
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

I've covered this a couple of times before. I believe that Castro had Oswald do it. The Warren Commission had to cover that up, however, because, as part of the settlement of the Cuban Missile Crisis, The US had to promise not to invade Cuba.

If the truth had come out back then, the public would have demanded we invade Cuba, which, as I said, we had promised the USSR that we wouldn't do.

So the choice was either lie to the American people, or risk starting WWIII by invading Cuba to get Castro. Both Castros, not just one, will need to be dead, before relations with Cuba will be normalized. (Among other conditions)
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

Anyone have a chance to look at this new information yet? Haven't heard much.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com