Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

User avatar
sbayhills
Posts: 6887
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:20 pm

Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by sbayhills » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:49 pm

Many of the Lefties on this site have been using this line about Romney outsourcing. This points out that it has been debunked, and also that Obama has ignored that and will still continue to run with the ad.

It is sad that the best the Left can muster are false claims such as this. And then the President complains about Romney's negative ads!!

Undeterred by independent fact-checkers that have debunked the thrust of their claims, the Obama campaign is redoubling attacks on Mitt Romney as an "outsourcer" in a new TV ad airing in eight battleground states.

The 30-second spot — titled "The Problem" — claims Romney condoned the Chinese "taking our jobs and taking a lot of our future."

"He made a fortune letting it happen," the narrator says, focusing on Bain Capital outsourcing to China, a country Romney has vowed to challenge as president.

It's the latest in a steady drumbeat of negative attacks on Romney's record as a corporate buyout specialist, alleging he profited off of deliberately bankrupting companies and sending jobs overseas.

The inclusion of China in the new ad also comes as Obama tries to bolster his image as a hard-liner against China. On Thursday, the administration lodged a new complaint against China at the World Trade Organization, challenging tariffs on U.S. auto exports. The case coincided with Obama's campaign bus tour through auto manufacturing country of Ohio and Pennsylvania.

The Romney campaign called the latest ad a continuation of "desperate lies," citing reports by several independent fact-checkers that have discredited the suggestion that Romney himself had a direct role in relocating U.S. jobs overseas.

"We found no evidence to support the claim that Romney — while he was still running Bain Capital — shipped American jobs overseas," FactCheck.org concluded in a report last month.

Washington Post fact checker Glenn Kessler also concluded that while Bain-owned companies may have engaged in outsourcing, Romney's ties to the practice are tenuous.

The ad blitz comes in spite of Obama's comments to audiences on his bus tour last week decrying the negative tone of the campaign on TV.

"You guys are getting bombarded with all kinds of nonsense on TV. So I know that sometimes politics can be discouraging, and especially Washington politics can be discouraging, and it can seem small and it can seem petty," Obama said Friday.

Independent media monitors that track campaign advertising report that 76 percent of the TV ads Obama's campaign has aired over the past month have had a negative, "anti-Romney" message.

The new ad begins airing Saturday in New Hampshire, Virginia, North Carolina, Florida, Ohio, Iowa, Colorado, and Nevada, the Obama campaign said.



http://news.yahoo.com/Obama-ad-calls-ro ... itics.html

User avatar
Troglodyte
Posts: 16607
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:33 pm

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by Troglodyte » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:22 pm

The old "if you can't suceed tear everyone down to your level" ploy.... Obama is toast..
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

User avatar
Wabash
Posts: 24331
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:29 am
Has thanked: 2 times

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by Wabash » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:10 pm

Given how is poll numbers are improving in battleground states, it looks like that tactic is working.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

User avatar
tLIB
Posts: 3338
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:35 pm

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by tLIB » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:35 pm

"We found no evidence to support the claim that Romney — while he was still running Bain Capital — shipped American jobs overseas," FactCheck.org concluded in a report last month.
Obama's campaign will need to be specific on that.

User avatar
Troglodyte
Posts: 16607
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:33 pm

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by Troglodyte » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:43 am

Team Obama can't be more specific without exposing themselves even more as liars and mud slingers.
They are using the old "Lie, big enough, and often enough, and the people will believe it" propaganda.
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

broman
Posts: 3777
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by broman » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:01 pm

Romney claims he left in 1999 but was listed as the sole owner and made over 100,000 in salary in 2000 and 2001. So who is lying?

User avatar
sbayhills
Posts: 6887
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:20 pm

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by sbayhills » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:36 pm

broman wrote:Romney claims he left in 1999 but was listed as the sole owner and made over 100,000 in salary in 2000 and 2001. So who is lying?
I don't understand what is so difficult about this. You can still be a sole owner, not work there anymore, and still collect a salary. If he was still working there, I imagine he'd be pulling in a lot more the $100,000. Why don't you wait for the whole story before you start calling people liars?

User avatar
Parrotpaul
Posts: 33550
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:14 pm

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by Parrotpaul » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:46 pm

Romney and outsourcing

Were Romney's companies 'pioneers in outsourcing' ?

<SNIP>

Our ruling

The Obama television ad holds Romney responsible for sending jobs outside the country. It said "Romney’s companies were pioneers in outsourcing U.S. jobs to low-wage countries."

We find reasonable grounds for labeling the companies as "Romney’s." He was the founder of Bain and assembled a team that looked to make high returns. One strategy was to invest in companies that played off the trend in outsourcing. We make no judgment on whether outsourcing is good or bad. It was widely seen as profitable, and Bain selected companies that would succeed.

If picking a company makes it yours, then these were Romney’s companies and in a general sense, they did what he expected them to do. The one caveat is there is a gray area of direct accountability, because no one has reported that he was personally involved in managing those firms.

We find little evidence that the particular firms were "pioneers in outsourcing." The Obama campaign took the word from the Washington Post but used it as its own. Outsourcing was well established by the early 1990s, and firms were applying it in a variety of industrial areas. The Bain companies were among that group.

The Obama campaign's statement would have voters believe that Romney played a key role in driving the outsourcing phenomenon. We find that an exaggeration.

We rule the statement to be Half True
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

broman
Posts: 3777
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by broman » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:58 pm

sbayhills wrote:
I don't understand what is so difficult about this. You can still be a sole owner, not work there anymore, and still collect a salary. If he was still working there, I imagine he'd be pulling in a lot more the $100,000. Why don't you wait for the whole story before you start calling people liars?
Dam, you hanging out with Red? Did I call anybody a liar?

User avatar
sbayhills
Posts: 6887
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:20 pm

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by sbayhills » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:03 pm

broman wrote:
Dam, you hanging out with Red? Did I call anybody a liar?
broman wrote:Romney claims he left in 1999 but was listed as the sole owner and made over 100,000 in salary in 2000 and 2001. So who is lying?
I apologize if I put the wrong inflection on your question. By reading it again, and with your comment, I now see how you actually meant it to read.

broman
Posts: 3777
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by broman » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:07 pm

sbayhills wrote:
broman wrote:Romney claims he left in 1999 but was listed as the sole owner and made over 100,000 in salary in 2000 and 2001. So who is lying?
I apologize if I put the wrong inflection on your question. By reading it again, and with your comment, I now see how you actually meant it to read.
:thumbsup:

Heywould
Posts: 1443
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:20 pm

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by Heywould » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:42 am

sbayhills wrote:
I don't understand what is so difficult about this. You can still be a sole owner, not work there anymore, and still collect a salary. If he was still working there, I imagine he'd be pulling in a lot more the $100,000. Why don't you wait for the whole story before you start calling people liars?
Actually you can't collect a "salary" if you are not working for the company in some capacity. Salaries are deductible business expense. If you're an owner and not working for the company the money you take out could be considered a dividend and thus not deductible to the business.

More importantly why do we give a crap when a community organizer is criticizing the business practices of an actual successful businessman. Talk about being out of your league.
If I Had a Dollar for Every Time Capitalism was Blamed for Problems Caused by Government I'd Be a Fat Filmmaker with a Baseball Cap

User avatar
Parrotpaul
Posts: 33550
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:14 pm

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by Parrotpaul » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:18 am

Can't wait for the debates.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

broman
Posts: 3777
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by broman » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:28 am

Heywould wrote: Actually you can't collect a "salary" if you are not working for the company in some capacity. Salaries are deductible business expense. If you're an owner and not working for the company the money you take out could be considered a dividend and thus not deductible to the business.

More importantly why do we give a crap when a community organizer is criticizing the business practices of an actual successful businessman. Talk about being out of your league.
Lets see: TARP 1, TARP 2, capital gain taxes, outsourcing, tax avoidance and corporate welfare. The Republican primary already laid out the blueprint on attacking Romney.

Another odd thing about this is Romney used business trips back to Massachusetts to establish his residency to run for governor.

User avatar
sbayhills
Posts: 6887
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:20 pm

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by sbayhills » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:31 am

How does that apply to Romney? The Obama attack dogs have picked a non-issue to hang their hats. Since many now view this Presidency as one with little or no meaningful accomplishments, and the economy continues to flounder, he's in trouble.

User avatar
sbayhills
Posts: 6887
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:20 pm

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by sbayhills » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:33 am

Parrotpaul wrote:Can't wait for the debates.
Obama will come across as a Professor lecturing all of us. It played out well for him the first time. Many have come to view that they'd rather have someone with real life experiences than someone who received an A in economics.

User avatar
Parrotpaul
Posts: 33550
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:14 pm

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by Parrotpaul » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:21 am

Really. I'd be happy to read your source of that info. Romney is the one who probably got the A in economics...ah..MBA--Harvard. Obama was a law student....but you knew that. Haven't you got something backwards?
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

broman
Posts: 3777
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by broman » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:37 am

sbayhills wrote:How does that apply to Romney? The Obama attack dogs have picked a non-issue to hang their hats. Since many now view this Presidency as one with little or no meaningful accomplishments, and the economy continues to flounder, he's in trouble.
Romney is basing his presidential hopes on his business experience as a venture capitalist. Focusing on how he made his money, the level of taxes he paid, the outcome of the investments Bain made and how that translate to being president.

User avatar
Wabash
Posts: 24331
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:29 am
Has thanked: 2 times

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by Wabash » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:47 am

sbayhills wrote:
Obama will come across as a Professor lecturing all of us. It played out well for him the first time. Many have come to view that they'd rather have someone with real life experiences than someone who received an A in economics.
When you say "many" you really mean folks who were never going to vote for him anyway, right?
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

User avatar
sbayhills
Posts: 6887
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:20 pm

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by sbayhills » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:49 am

Parrotpaul wrote:Really. I'd be happy to read your source of that info. Romney is the one who probably got the A in economics...ah..MBA--Harvard. Obama was a law student....but you knew that. Haven't you got something backwards?
Even Law Students have to take economics.

No, you didn't understand my point. This election many may vote for a candidate with real world experience over a classroom experience.

Post Reply