Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

User avatar
Parrotpaul
Posts: 33550
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:14 pm

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by Parrotpaul » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:18 pm

It's all speculation what many might do. Having passed Econ 101 doesn't make one an educated economist any more than Freshman Comp 101 makes one an accomplished writer.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

User avatar
sbayhills
Posts: 6887
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:20 pm

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by sbayhills » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:29 pm

I agree. Classroom experience is overvalued compared to real world experience.

User avatar
Parrotpaul
Posts: 33550
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:14 pm

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by Parrotpaul » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:40 pm

I'm not convinced it matters one way or another in this race...Romney has no idea how to forcefully campaign for POTUS, or he would be doing it...Obama is a strategist and an opportunistic politician; Romney isn't.

Obama will take every opportunity available to take the offensive as he has been doing for the past couple weeks...getting battleground states to focus more on Bain and Romney than on anything else....economics figures are tough for him....so he moves them to the back burner while Romney swims, boats, and relaxes at his summer home. Is that what you support him doing? Obama is taking the reins, and Romney hasn't yet saddled up.

Fox News is still miffed at Romney's approach.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

User avatar
sbayhills
Posts: 6887
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:20 pm

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by sbayhills » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:01 pm

The economy will be the election. Bain is a non-issue, only important to those who already will vote for Obama. It will be exposed for the non-issue it is, and will hurt Obama with those Independents he craves.

If the economy starts to move in a positive direction come November, Obama will win. If we continue floundering Romney has a good chance. He would have had a lot better chance if Obamacare would have been ruled unconstitutional.

I still find it funny that you're criticizing Romney for taking the weekend off. You were in full support when Obama takes golf vacations, and very expensive family vacations. Romney is paying his own way. Obama was taking his days off at our expense while the economy was tanking. That is what I found ironic. I guess it depends who you're voting for, huh?

User avatar
Wabash
Posts: 24552
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:29 am
Has thanked: 2 times

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by Wabash » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:16 pm

sbayhills wrote:The economy will be the election. Bain is a non-issue, only important to those who already will vote for Obama. It will be exposed for the non-issue it is, and will hurt Obama with those Independents he craves.
Yet he continues to gain momentum in battleground states.
sbayhills wrote:If the economy starts to move in a positive direction come November, Obama will win. If we continue floundering Romney has a good chance. He would have had a lot better chance if Obamacare would have been ruled unconstitutional.
It is starting to move in a positive direction. And Obamacare wasn't ruled Unconstitutional. And rightfully so.
sbayhills wrote:I still find it funny that you're criticizing Romney for taking the weekend off. You were in full support when Obama takes golf vacations, and very expensive family vacations. Romney is paying his own way. Obama was taking his days off at our expense while the economy was tanking. That is what I found ironic. I guess it depends who you're voting for, huh?
I find it funny that you believe anyone else but rightwingnuts care about the presidential lifestyle.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

User avatar
Parrotpaul
Posts: 33550
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:14 pm

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by Parrotpaul » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:24 pm

Vacations isn't the point, sbh, taking vacations at the wrong time in your campaign to be President is...especially when your opponent has free rein to spend two days in a battleground state laying land mines with no defensive firepower to stop him. Romney is going to have to pick his way through that mine field at some point, but the days are ticking steadily by, and apparently Romney is not worried. Obama is playing from strength...and presently his strength isn't the economy...it's the furtive nature of Romney's financial affairs...most Americans tolerate the wealthy, but when the public suspects there have been machinations by some rich and famous person to take advantage of a system to hide wealth or get wealthier, Americans buy the popcorn and wait for the fall. Romney has a whole lot of work to do. He really should start...doncha think?

Do you take vacations when it is your peak season and you can more than meet your goals by working, and the company expects you to do just that? If Obama had been golfing these past two weeks, he wouldn't get my vote. What he is doing is smart, Are you going to slap Mitt on the back and say, "Relax, Mitt....you still have more than 100 days to beat this inexperienced political neophyte."
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

User avatar
sbayhills
Posts: 6887
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:20 pm

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by sbayhills » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:17 pm

I disagree with your assessment of the Romney weekend off and the Obama family vacations. President Obama looked like he was ignoring the financial plight of Americans by 1. Spending extravagantly on his vacations by going places he really shouldn't have. He was criticized for not vacationing in the US, instead of in Spain for example. 2. As you said, taking a vacation at the wrong time. The economy was still a mess, and a lot of Americans had "stay cations" for the past couple of years. There is plenty of wrong to go around for taking vacations at the wrong time.

I also think you're on the wrong side of the wealthy and how they protect their wealth. Just because a person uses fully legal tax codes to not pay taxes, is not a reason to think that he has furtive financial affairs. Wealthy people stay that way because they shelter their money in legitimate ways. It is their money, and I would believe that both you and I use every means legally to hang on to as much as we can. So how can we fault the wealthy for not wanting to pay taxes beyond what they are legally obligated to do.

We both know that if President Obama did take a 2 week golfing vacation, you would still vote for him. :mrgreen: Spending money on negative ads that will prove to be filled with at best half truths won't play well in the long run. Also working up a sweat in battleground states via personal appearances is an interesting strategy. It certainly worked well last time when he was treated as a rock star, but the thrill is largely gone, and he is now just another politician. Playing in front of small crowds in BFE, for a few sound bytes on the local news after the farm reports will be largely forgotten come November.

Romney has a lot of work to do. But as I've said before, it will all come down to the economy.

User avatar
Parrotpaul
Posts: 33550
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:14 pm

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by Parrotpaul » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:50 pm

"We" both don't know that, but I seriously doubt Obama will slack off much before November....that's not the smart thing to do.

I'm not alone in this, sbh...these are your boys Govrnor Walker's advice to Mitt Romney.."...get off your heels." He's your guy, and I like the way he runs for President.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

User avatar
Wabash
Posts: 24552
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:29 am
Has thanked: 2 times

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by Wabash » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:15 pm

sbayhills wrote:I disagree with your assessment of the Romney weekend off and the Obama family vacations. President Obama looked like he was ignoring the financial plight of Americans by 1. Spending extravagantly on his vacations by going places he really shouldn't have. He was criticized for not vacationing in the US, instead of in Spain for example. 2. As you said, taking a vacation at the wrong time. The economy was still a mess, and a lot of Americans had "stay cations" for the past couple of years. There is plenty of wrong to go around for taking vacations at the wrong time.
Once again, conservatives only care about the presidential lifestyle when a Dem is in office. They said nothing when Bush was vacationing at his ranch in Crawford during the early days of his administration. A time when the nation was in the supposed recession he inherited from Clinton.
sbayhills wrote:I also think you're on the wrong side of the wealthy and how they protect their wealth. Just because a person uses fully legal tax codes to not pay taxes, is not a reason to think that he has furtive financial affairs. Wealthy people stay that way because they shelter their money in legitimate ways. It is their money, and I would believe that both you and I use every means legally to hang on to as much as we can. So how can we fault the wealthy for not wanting to pay taxes beyond what they are legally obligated to do.
Which is why the law should be changed to prevent the wealthy from avoiding the same taxes the 99% pays.
sbayhills wrote:We both know that if President Obama did take a 2 week golfing vacation, you would still vote for him. :mrgreen: Spending money on negative ads that will prove to be filled with at best half truths won't play well in the long run. Also working up a sweat in battleground states via personal appearances is an interesting strategy. It certainly worked well last time when he was treated as a rock star, but the thrill is largely gone, and he is now just another politician. Playing in front of small crowds in BFE, for a few sound bytes on the local news after the farm reports will be largely forgotten come November.
His crowds are significantly larger than Romney's in similar areas.
sbayhills wrote:Romney has a lot of work to do. But as I've said before, it will all come down to the economy.
So you agree that Romney is already done. He continues to show he has no clue about what is important to the American people unless they are corporate execs or NASCAR team owners.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Heywould
Posts: 1443
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:20 pm

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by Heywould » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:19 pm

Wabash wrote: Once again, conservatives only care about the presidential lifestyle when a Dem is in office. They said nothing when Bush was vacationing at his ranch in Crawford during the early days of his administration. A time when the nation was in the supposed recession he inherited from Clinton.


Which is why the law should be changed to prevent the wealthy from avoiding the same taxes the 99% pays.


His crowds are significantly larger than Romney's in similar areas.


So you agree that Romney is already done. He continues to show he has no clue about what is important to the American people unless they are corporate execs or NASCAR team owners.
Please explain to me how the wealthy avoid the taxes that the 99% pay.
If I Had a Dollar for Every Time Capitalism was Blamed for Problems Caused by Government I'd Be a Fat Filmmaker with a Baseball Cap

User avatar
Wabash
Posts: 24552
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:29 am
Has thanked: 2 times

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by Wabash » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:29 pm

Heywould wrote: Please explain to me how the wealthy avoid the taxes that the 99% pay.
The fact that you ask this question tells all that you have a lot to learn about tax policy.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Heywould
Posts: 1443
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:20 pm

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by Heywould » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:40 pm

Wabash wrote: The fact that you ask this question tells all that you have a lot to learn about tax policy.
Does that mean you can't explain it to me? For a start I think you meant the 49% since about 50% don't pay any income tax. But I would love to hear your explanation, you're not afraid to back up your claim are you?
If I Had a Dollar for Every Time Capitalism was Blamed for Problems Caused by Government I'd Be a Fat Filmmaker with a Baseball Cap

User avatar
Troglodyte
Posts: 16607
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:33 pm

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by Troglodyte » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:10 pm

Parrotpaul wrote:I'm not convinced it matters one way or another in this race...Romney has no idea how to forcefully campaign for POTUS, or he would be doing it...Obama is a strategist and an opportunistic politician; Romney isn't.

Obama will take every opportunity available to take the offensive as he has been doing for the past couple weeks...getting battleground states to focus more on Bain and Romney than on anything else....economics figures are tough for him....so he moves them to the back burner while Romney swims, boats, and relaxes at his summer home. Is that what you support him doing? Obama is taking the reins, and Romney hasn't yet saddled up.

Fox News is still miffed at Romney's approach.
It will all come down to the debates. Obama will try every trick possible to keep the economy out of it, Romney will keep pounding on it.. In the end the economy and Obama's lack of success will rule the day. The voters won't care if Romney painted his ass blue and howled at the moon, as long as they think Romney is better at fixing the economy. Obama has zilch to show for his efforts.
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

User avatar
Wabash
Posts: 24552
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:29 am
Has thanked: 2 times

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by Wabash » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:24 pm

Heywould wrote: Does that mean you can't explain it to me? For a start I think you meant the 49% since about 50% don't pay any income tax. But I would love to hear your explanation, you're not afraid to back up your claim are you?
No. It means that you are not worth the effort to explain it. An informed individual would know the answer.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

User avatar
Troglodyte
Posts: 16607
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:33 pm

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by Troglodyte » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:39 pm

:lol: Wabash throws in the towel again..
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

User avatar
Wabash
Posts: 24552
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:29 am
Has thanked: 2 times

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by Wabash » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:03 pm

Troglodyte wrote::lol: Wabash throws in the towel again..
No point to having the towel in this case.

If you have the patience to tell him, feel free.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

broman
Posts: 3833
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by broman » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:38 pm

Heywould wrote: Does that mean you can't explain it to me? For a start I think you meant the 49% since about 50% don't pay any income tax. But I would love to hear your explanation, you're not afraid to back up your claim are you?
90% of those who don't pay income tax have taxable income that is below the standard deduction or have child care deductions that bring them down to zero and people whose primary income is Social Security. The other 10% benefit from tax laws dealing with capital gains and dividends.

broman
Posts: 3833
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by broman » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:40 pm

Troglodyte wrote: It will all come down to the debates. Obama will try every trick possible to keep the economy out of it, Romney will keep pounding on it.. In the end the economy and Obama's lack of success will rule the day. The voters won't care if Romney painted his ass blue and howled at the moon, as long as they think Romney is better at fixing the economy. Obama has zilch to show for his efforts.
Last month 80,000 jobs gained, the last month of Bush, 500,000 jobs lost. That's some good zilch.

crayegg
Oversight Committee
Posts: 4147
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:13 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by crayegg » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:03 pm

Indeed, the gains haven't been as robust as we would have liked, but they've been GAINS.

Economic gains are good, despite what the GOP want's to think.

I think the debates are going to be fun.

User avatar
Wabash
Posts: 24552
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:29 am
Has thanked: 2 times

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by Wabash » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:05 pm

broman wrote:
Last month 80,000 jobs gained, the last month of Bush, 500,000 jobs lost. That's some good zilch.
More importantly. More than 170K jobs gained in the private sector last month. They were offset by jobs lost in the public sector. Given the constant sheep bleating about wanting smaller government, one would think conservatives would be happy that government workers are being cut back.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Post Reply