'If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that.

Post Reply
User avatar
SLK230
Posts: 9070
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:16 pm

'If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that.

Post by SLK230 »

PICKET:(VIDEO) Obama - 'If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen'

President Barack Obama addressed supporters in Roanoke, Virginia on Friday afternoon and took a shot at the business community. President Obama dismissed any credit business owners give themselves for their success:

There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me -- because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t -- look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. (Applause.)


<VIDEO>http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/wat ... ou-didnt-/
Thought for the day:
We are always hearing about how Social Security is going to run out of money.
How come we never hear about Welfare running out of money?
User avatar
Notorious
Posts: 11909
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:56 am

Re: 'If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that.

Post by Notorious »

He's right but he could have worded it much better.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch
User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: 'If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that.

Post by GOODave »

I cited the Foxnews article by the same title in another threadthis morning.

Vilepagan disagrees that Obama lied about "you" not building your business. I think he started out O.K. noting that everyone has HELP along the way ... but ended poorly by stating that business owners did not build their business. That's too big a leap to make from being helped to not doing anything.

Vilepagan suggests he "could have worded that better."
User avatar
Wabash
Posts: 25271
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:29 am
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: 'If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that.

Post by Wabash »

Notorious wrote:He's right but he could have worded it much better.
Agreed. But conservatives love to parse sentences and take them out of context.

Bottom line. Every successful business entity in our nation has been helped directly or indirectly by government.
Stay loose, and be a little afraid.
User avatar
SLK230
Posts: 9070
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:16 pm

Re: 'If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that.

Post by SLK230 »

Wabash wrote: Agreed. But conservatives love to parse sentences and take them out of context.

Bottom line. Every successful business entity in our nation has been helped directly or indirectly by government.
That is a rather broad brush you paint with.

Since you can make that statement about everyone (even illegal aliens) what is your point?

The government builds roads that everyone travels so ?????
Thought for the day:
We are always hearing about how Social Security is going to run out of money.
How come we never hear about Welfare running out of money?
User avatar
Wabash
Posts: 25271
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:29 am
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: 'If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that.

Post by Wabash »

SLK230 wrote:
That is a rather broad brush you paint with.

Since you can make that statement about everyone (even illegal aliens) what is your point?

The government builds roads that everyone travels so ?????
You think that is the only thing government provides that enables a business to be successful?
Stay loose, and be a little afraid.
User avatar
sbayhills
Posts: 6887
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:20 pm

Re: 'If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that.

Post by sbayhills »

The President is having a field day on the campaign trail. Pushing outright lies about his opponent, and now insulting business owners to elicit some applause from his faithful. I think he could be going Algore on us. What foot in the mouth moment will he bring this week?
Last edited by sbayhills on Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Vilepagan
Posts: 12648
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:07 am
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: 'If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that.

Post by Vilepagan »

SLK230 wrote:That is a rather broad brush you paint with.
Your "brush" isn't any smaller, just less accurate:

"President Obama dismissed any credit business owners give themselves for their success"

Obama did nothing of the kind, he correctly pointed out that no business owner is solely responsible for their success. I made the same point to you in another thread yesterday or the day before, but since you couldn't rebut the point there I guess you decided to start this thread.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada
User avatar
Vilepagan
Posts: 12648
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:07 am
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: 'If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that.

Post by Vilepagan »

sbayhills wrote:Pushing outright lies about his opponent, and now insulting business owners to elicit some applause from his faithful.
Two questions:

1. Do you really think business owners should be insulted by the truth?

2. Are you sure none of the applause came from business owners?
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada
User avatar
Wabash
Posts: 25271
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:29 am
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: 'If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that.

Post by Wabash »

sbayhills wrote:The President is having a field day on the campaign trail. Pushing outright lies about his opponent, and now insulting business owners to elicit some applause from his faithful. I think he could be going Algore on us. What foot in the mouth moment will he bring this week?
Yet his poll numbers keep improving.
Stay loose, and be a little afraid.
User avatar
SLK230
Posts: 9070
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:16 pm

Re: 'If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that.

Post by SLK230 »

Vilepagan wrote:
Two questions:

1. Do you really think business owners should be insulted by the truth?

2. Are you sure none of the applause came from business owners?

If the government is going to take credit for the success it must also take credit for the failures. Solindra and thousands of other business failures come to mind.

You can't have it both ways.
Thought for the day:
We are always hearing about how Social Security is going to run out of money.
How come we never hear about Welfare running out of money?
User avatar
sbayhills
Posts: 6887
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:20 pm

Re: 'If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that.

Post by sbayhills »

Any person who has worked in the private sector wouldn't comment that Government is the reason for their success and certainly wouldn't be applauding a bogus statement such as this.

The President was pandering to the crowds, and stepped in it............again.

I believe this to be an Algore moment for the President.
User avatar
Wabash
Posts: 25271
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:29 am
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: 'If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that.

Post by Wabash »

sbayhills wrote:Any person who has worked in the private sector wouldn't comment that Government is the reason for their success and certainly wouldn't be applauding a bogus statement such as this.

The President was pandering to the crowds, and stepped in it............again.

I believe this to be an Algore moment for the President.
They may not comment that is the reason. But to believe the business would have been successful without the protections and resources provided by government is equally naive.

I believe this will be an emboldening moment for his base that will continue to catapult him to re-election.
Stay loose, and be a little afraid.
User avatar
Wabash
Posts: 25271
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:29 am
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: 'If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that.

Post by Wabash »

SLK230 wrote:

If the government is going to take credit for the success it must also take credit for the failures. Solindra and thousands of other business failures come to mind.

You can't have it both ways.
If that is your yardstick, then one also has to look at successes. The auto industry was saved. As was the banking industry. Private companies in the oil, gas, and agriculture industries continue to receive subsidies even when they are having record profits.

You cited Solyndra and thousands of other businesses. Could you at least list the other 999?
Stay loose, and be a little afraid.
User avatar
SLK230
Posts: 9070
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:16 pm

Re: 'If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that.

Post by SLK230 »

Wabash wrote: They may not comment that is the reason. But to believe the business would have been successful without the protections and resources provided by government is equally naive.

I believe this will be an emboldening moment for his base that will continue to catapult him to re-election.

Well than how do you explain the freeloaders? Why didn't they succeed unless you consider freeloading a success.

They had access to the same roads and bridges that I had.

BTW...Where did the money come from to build those roads and bridges that all of us had use of?
Thought for the day:
We are always hearing about how Social Security is going to run out of money.
How come we never hear about Welfare running out of money?
User avatar
SLK230
Posts: 9070
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:16 pm

Re: 'If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that.

Post by SLK230 »

Wabash wrote: If that is your yardstick, then one also has to look at successes. The auto industry was saved. As was the banking industry. Private companies in the oil, gas, and agriculture industries continue to receive subsidies even when they are having record profits.

You cited Solyndra and thousands of other businesses. Could you at least list the other 999?

Any business that failed. If the government is the reason for success than how do you explain the failures?
Thought for the day:
We are always hearing about how Social Security is going to run out of money.
How come we never hear about Welfare running out of money?
User avatar
Vilepagan
Posts: 12648
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:07 am
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: 'If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that.

Post by Vilepagan »

SLK230 wrote:If the government is going to take credit for the success it must also take credit for the failures.
Ok...is this supposed to be a response to my post that you quoted? :eh?:
Solindra and thousands of other business failures come to mind.
Thousands of other business failures? This sounds suspiciously like one of those manufactured complaints.
You can't have it both ways.
:??
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada
User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: 'If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that.

Post by GOODave »

Vilepagan wrote:1. Do you really think business owners should be insulted by the truth?
It wasn't the truth, business owners DO have their own skin in the game. They have gotten help along the way, in most cases, but typically do not let the gubbermint make them successful, as Obama said they do. So it is irrelevant whether or not they are or should be insulted by the truth ... they heard a lie.
Vilepagan wrote:2. Are you sure none of the applause came from business owners?
What does it matter from whom the applause came? Obama STILL made the statement to elicit applause and he lied about it, at that.

Who is applauding is irrelevant.
Last edited by GOODave on Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Vilepagan
Posts: 12648
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:07 am
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: 'If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that.

Post by Vilepagan »

SLK230 wrote:They had access to the same roads and bridges that I had.

BTW...Where did the money come from to build those roads and bridges that all of us had use of?
The money came from all of us, but the business owners/operators used the roads much more than the rest of us to get raw materials to their factories and to get their products to market. They paid as much as you or I (personally), but they profited from the roads much more, and they caused much more wear-and-tear on the highways with their huge trucks than I did driving my Ford Escort. In addition, how many highway bridges had to be rebuilt to accommodate my Escort (and others like it) and how many had to be rebuilt to accommodate 18-wheelers?
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada
Heywould
Posts: 1443
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:20 pm

Re: 'If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that.

Post by Heywould »

Vilepagan wrote:
The money came from all of us, but the business owners/operators used the roads much more than the rest of us to get raw materials to their factories and to get their products to market. They paid as much as you or I (personally), but they profited from the roads much more, and they caused much more wear-and-tear on the highways with their huge trucks than I did driving my Ford Escort. In addition, how many highway bridges had to be rebuilt to accommodate my Escort (and others like it) and how many had to be rebuilt to accommodate 18-wheelers?
That's why there is a gas tax that pays for roads, I'd think even you would realize that they paid their "fair share"
If I Had a Dollar for Every Time Capitalism was Blamed for Problems Caused by Government I'd Be a Fat Filmmaker with a Baseball Cap
Post Reply