'If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that.

Vilepagan

Re: 'If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that.

Post by Vilepagan »

GOODave wrote: It wasn't the truth, business owners DO have their own skin in the game.
His whole point was that they didn't achieve success by themselves, and that's the truth..
What does it matter from whom the applause came? Obama STILL made the statement to elicit applause and he lied about it, at that.

Who is applauding is irrelevant.
Why are you telling me? Address your comment to the person who wrote:

"Pushing outright lies about his opponent, and now insulting business owners to elicit some applause from his faithful."

Hint: That would be sbayhills who posted what you claim is irrelevant.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada
sbayhills

Post by sbayhills »

Well now..........this guy has taken the major credit for killing OBL, why wouldn't we expect him to now try to have Big Government take credit for the success of the private sector? BTW, taxes paid for by business builds the bridges and roads.

How people can eat up this crap is beyond me.
Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte »

I suppose Obama and the libercrats will take responsibiity for this...

US economy appears weaker as retail sales slump
By MARTIN CRUTSINGER, AP Economics Writer
http://hosted2.ap.org/CAANR/162267dc068 ... 4e34662ae0

WASHINGTON (AP) — The outlook for the U.S. economy appeared dimmer Monday after a report that Americans spent less at retail businesses for a third straight month in June.

The report led some economists to downgrade their estimates for economic growth in the April-June quarter. Many now think the economy grew even less than in the first quarter of the year, when it expanded at a sluggish 1.9 percent annual rate.

Spending in June fell in nearly every major category — from autos, furniture and appliances to building, garden supplies and department stores. Overall, retail sales slid 0.5 percent from May to June, the Commerce Department said.

Retail sales hadn't fallen for three straight months since the fall of 2008, at the height of the financial crisis.

And this..

Risks to global growth rising: IMF
Published: 16/07/2012 at 09:48 PM Online news: World 0
The International Monetary Fund stepped up its warnings Monday on risks to the global economy, especially coming from Europe, as it trimmed its growth forecast for the rest of the year.

The IMF also singled out the overhanging risk from US political stasis that could send the country over a "fiscal cliff" due to laws that, if not changed, will force massive government spending cuts coupled with automatic tax hikes on January 1 that would severely crunch the world's largest economy
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..
Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan »

Troglodyte wrote:I suppose Obama and the libercrats will take responsibiity for this...
 ! Message from: Vilepagan
The topic of this thread is not the economy, or how badly Obama is handling it...the topic is the cited statements made by Obama
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada
Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan »

sbayhills wrote:How people can eat up this crap is beyond me.
I agree with you there...but then I have to ask why you post it?

BTW, taxes paid for by business builds the bridges and roads.

#-o
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

SLK230 wrote: Any business that failed. If the government is the reason for success than how do you explain the failures?
I don't. You're the one making the claim.

SLK230 wrote: Well than how do you explain the freeloaders? Why didn't they succeed unless you consider freeloading a success.
Not the topic.
SLK230 wrote:They had access to the same roads and bridges that I had.
They chose a different path. It's part of being free.
SLK230 wrote:BTW...Where did the money come from to build those roads and bridges that all of us had use of?
The same place as the military that ensures your business isn't subjected to being taken over by an invading army.

We do know where the money didn't come from. It didn't come from individuals hiding their wealth in offshore accounts to avoid paying taxes while taking advantage of all the benefits afforded living in this country.
Last edited by Wabash on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Сделай Америку великой снова
Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte »

Vilepagan wrote:His whole point was that they didn't achieve success by themselves, and that's the truth..
You, and the government kinda forget how business gets started and built..
It's the owner who bets his savings and mortgage that his idea will become profitable..
It's the owner who puts in long hours and much sweat to make it a success..
It's the owner who constantly seeks ways to improve his product and make it more marketable.

What does the government do?? It tells him, after the fact, how to run his business and takes a cut of the action. Kinda like the Mafia.. If you want to call that helping, you interpet things funny.
Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte »

Vilepagan wrote: The topic of this thread is not the economy, or how badly Obama is handling it...the topic is the cited statements made by Obama
I am within the topic, Vile. The present results are directly related to his version of government help.
Are you again disputing a fact using your moderator status?? --:--
broman

Post by broman »

GOODave wrote:I cited the Foxnews article by the same title in another threadthis morning.

Vilepagan disagrees that Obama lied about "you" not building your business. I think he started out O.K. noting that everyone has HELP along the way ... but ended poorly by stating that business owners did not build their business. That's too big a leap to make from being helped to not doing anything.

Vilepagan suggests he "could have worded that better."
Poorly worded statement but the context of the speech is correct.
broman

Post by broman »

Troglodyte wrote: You, and the government kinda forget how business gets started and built..
It's the owner who bets his savings and mortgage that his idea will become profitable..
It's the owner who puts in long hours and much sweat to make it a success..
It's the owner who constantly seeks ways to improve his product and make it more marketable.

What does the government do?? It tells him, after the fact, how to run his business and takes a cut of the action. Kinda like the Mafia.. If you want to call that helping, you interpet things funny.
The government provides the legal structure and guidelines for the owner to start a business. The government provided the infrastructure (power supply, communication system, etc). The government protects life, liberty and the owners property.
GOODave

Post by GOODave »

GOODave wrote: It wasn't the truth, business owners DO have their own skin in the game.
Vilepagan wrote:His whole point was that they didn't achieve success by themselves, and that's the truth..
No, unfortunately, that was not his "whole" point.

Had he stopped there, no one would have disagreed with him. However, he went ON to say they didn't do that (build their business). He went ON to say someone ELSE built their businesses.

And that is not the truth in any way, shape, or fashion.
Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan »

GOODave wrote: No, unfortunately, that was not his "whole" point.
Of course it was, if you read the "whole" statement rather than just one poorly worded phrase out of the whole.
Had he stopped there, no one would have disagreed with him. However, he went ON to say they didn't do that (build their business). He went ON to say someone ELSE built their businesses.

And that is not the truth in any way, shape, or fashion.
Well you aren't likely to see the truth when your whole argument starts and stops with that one sentence. You do go ON. :wink:
sbayhills

Post by sbayhills »

President Obama said in a speech at the weekend that governments and not individuals create jobs, telling entrepreneurs: 'If you've got a business - you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen.'

He added: 'You didn't get there on your own. I'm always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart.'
He obviously isn't so smart if he believes his own line of crapola. As in the last election, Obama's vision to fundamentally change our country is starting to emerge.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z20pUnCPyJ
Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte »

broman wrote:
The government provides the legal structure and guidelines for the owner to start a business. The government provided the infrastructure (power supply, communication system, etc). The government protects life, liberty and the owners property.
:lol: The government provides LIMITS as to how one can run their business. Almost all politicians and bureaucrats have never started a business in their life, let alone produced anything for a profit. How could they possibly provide guidelines on how to start a business. Our taxes, fees, and monthyly7 bill provides the infrastructure, power supply, communication systems, etc. that was built by commercial companies. The government didn't wave a magic wand and make that happen.
The government does, as it is supposed to, protect life liberty, and the owner's property, BUT only after it has been put in jeapordy, whenever they get around to it. They usually arrive too late to prevent the damage being done, sweep up the pieces, and provide the perp with every legal means to escape, or mitigate, punishment.
Guess you haven't had any real experience in business..
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

sbayhills wrote:Well now..........this guy has taken the major credit for killing OBL, why wouldn't we expect him to now try to have Big Government take credit for the success of the private sector? BTW, taxes paid for by business builds the bridges and roads.

How people can eat up this crap is beyond me.
How people can keep making up this crap is beyond me.
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan »

Omar Bongo wrote:How people can keep making up this crap is beyond me.
And then complain about Obama's lies. :shrug:
sbayhills

Post by sbayhills »

Omar Bongo wrote: How people can keep making up this crap is beyond me.
You can't honestly believe that President Obama was the main person responsible for the killing of OBL.............I take that one back, you continue to believe crap like that.
sbayhills

Post by sbayhills »

Vilepagan wrote:
And then complain about Obama's lies. :shrug:
I just stated the facts VP. You can't honestly believe in discounting our Intelligence Service and the Special Unit team that was involved, and think that Obama was the the main force in the operation. You guys still have it bad.
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

sbayhills wrote:
You can't honestly believe that President Obama was the main person responsible for the killing of OBL...
Exactly, just as you can't honestly believe that President Obama ever said he was the main person responsible for the killing of OBL...why do you persist with this silliness?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
tLIB

Post by tLIB »

Troglodyte wrote:I suppose Obama and the libercrats will take responsibiity for this...
Trog, I don't usually bring this type of thing up and make a big deal of it. Why? What if retail sales rise right before the election. Does that mean we all must vote for Obama. Gas prices are edging higher, but they were much higher than they were a couple months ago. So, if gas prices are lower now, do we all need to vote for Obama? :D